Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I am going after stuff I didn't receive as a gift now. So far:

- yellow necktie (versatile enough to wear as Pittsburgh sports team gold, or match the school's colors where I work)
    - 2 pairs Chuck Taylor Cons (yellow [for same reasons as tie], red old school Chucks ads pattern)
    - reversible brown/black belt
    - gas (at $2.79 a gallon a few days back, which is now a deal compared to today's prices)
    - SW wristwatch (Hildebrandt art)
    - Meinke Car Care Bowl t-shirt (Pitt won! )

Looking for a good deal on a small (less than 36" ) TV with DVD player included (Costco's is in the lead right now), some SW Lego sets, and I-don't-know what else.
    "That's what Sheev said."

My wife and I got our best present four days late. Our son was born yesterday afternoon.

Congratulations Morpheus. Best wishes to you and your family.

Yes, ditto! Congrats to you and Mrs. Morpheus, and of course Morpheus Jr. (he had to work to get here, too!).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Congrats on the birth of your son Morpheus!

My son got Nerfed this Christmas. He got the Raider CS-35, the Longshot, the capture the flag set, and both Wii nerf games. I told him the only rule was don't shoot your sister (who's 2) and you can shoot me, my wife and the dog as much as you want. Needless to say he shot his sister last night and lost all his guns. Four days was longer than I expected.

If you get the Raider CS-35, make sure to follow directions. My son thought he could put it together himself and it took me an hour to undo what he had done. The drum magaziine is easy to load and takes less than a minute to load all 35 shots. The round flys off even faster. Pump it once and hold down the trigger, and pump till all hearts content. I haven't tried the sticky darts, but I think they would get stuck. You can load the sticky darts into the longshot clip, and use that clip in the Raider, but then you would defeat the purpose of having a gun than can shoot 35 shots in under a minute. The sticky darts do occasionally get stuck in the longshot clip.

I perfer the longshot due to the duel weapon option. However, the second gun has to be reloaded after every shot. But its easy to separate (unless your left-handed).

My haul:
    3-D Simpsons globe puzzle
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side
    The 2009 Hallmark Star Wars ornaments
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days
    Rascal Flatts tickets (which my sister won)
    Halo 3 mongoose

I'll probably use my Christmas money to get a new couch, Republic Heroes, Zelda Spirit Tracks, and Force Unleashed Sith Edition.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Hmm, I guess that's not bad, though $10 for a second 4gb microSDHC and adapters to SD size and a USB port is better (although getting it in and out of the USB micro-flash-drive adapter is challenging due to its small size, but totally worth it as it's nearly the smallest flash drive around).
    True, that's a pretty nice deal, but I don't know the next time I'll be at a Target.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0
    Look at the next pic, they took out the mirror and put in a plasma disk!
    That's awesome, it looks like the Borg have assimilated the Stargate. Yivo help us.

A actually meant if the whole ring could be moved to that position, not just the inner track, but I see in other pics it appears that the hanger is attached to the ring, not the mirror.
    Oh, sorry. The hanger is attached to the disc parton the back that I assume is a cover for the mirror, and is secured with two small screws that seem to go into the Gate. I'm guessing you could probably remove those and change it's position, but it might require new screw holes to be drilled. It feels too secure for two small screws to be holding on that mirror, though, I'm thinking there might be glued involved as well.

Fortunately, if you don't hang it on the wall, the hanger doesn't get in the way if you want to stand it upside-down. The only problem is that they put the Earth origin symbol on the very bottom, between the two bottom chevrons. So, if you turn the gate upside-down to have the Earth symbol at the top, it will always be off to the side from whichever chevron you put in the center.

To me, you can get a sniper rifle look from a pellet rifle at WM, and it's FAR more accurate. Nerf is fun for fantasy style guns like the Maverick and Recon and Raider and even the Vulcan - despite it being totally insane.
    That's true, the Longstrike doesn't quite fit into the clever gimmick aesthetic that the others have set a standard for. It even comes across as slightly pointless because the Longshot fills the sniper rifle role better due to it's bipod. I'm still picking it up sometime, though.

I've read that the drum mag is actually not that bad to load, but I don't trust those claims. If it took suction micro-darts as well as streamlines, I'd probably have a harder time not buying it.
    I think they only discourage the use of them because the rubber overlapping the dart can catch when it's going through the barrel, which would kill the efficiency that the streamlines are capable of. The Raider appears to be the same size as the recon (the stocks can even be swapped), so if your suction darts work fine in the recon, they should be fine in the Raider. I'd love to see a barrage of suction darts coming from a Raider towards something like a fridge.

For me, Nerf is what takes it beyond the "now" looks. I can get an Airsoft that looks like a Glock, but I can't get one that looks like a 44 Magnum on steroids.
    Well, you probably could, but you might have to skip a couple payments on your car.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I've opened up nearly everything finally. Yesterday it was the Obi-Wan TPM FX Lightsaber, which is very nice. I'm still really digging the ipod touch as a mini-PC, and today have been adding PDA functionality (after a decade of my Palm IIIxe, which I still love but without wireless has outlived its usefulness - it has ONLY ONE SLOT FOR EMAIL ADDRESSES! )

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I think the Vulcan is what my nephew had on Christmas. Shortly after I arrived I hear this noise, and then see a barrage of nerf darts landing at the bottom of the stairs.
    That thing is unholy. It's massive and it's belt-fed and it's nearly fifty bucks. If they had made that when I was a kid, I would have begged for it. I hear it's actually not that great compared to most of the other N-strikes though.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    My wife and I got our best present four days late. Our son was born yesterday afternoon.
    Congrats! Great for you, sucks for him with his birthday being overshadowed by xmas every year. Saves you on presents though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    My son got Nerfed this Christmas. He got the Raider CS-35, the Longshot, the capture the flag set, and both Wii nerf games. I told him the only rule was don't shoot your sister (who's 2) and you can shoot me, my wife and the dog as much as you want. Needless to say he shot his sister last night and lost all his guns. Four days was longer than I expected.
    Dude, that is some serious Nerf your boy got! I hope he's into it, especially now that he's had it all taken away.

If you get the Raider CS-35, make sure to follow directions. My son thought he could put it together himself and it took me an hour to undo what he had done. The drum magaziine is easy to load and takes less than a minute to load all 35 shots. The round flys off even faster. Pump it once and hold down the trigger, and pump till all hearts content. I haven't tried the sticky darts, but I think they would get stuck. You can load the sticky darts into the longshot clip, and use that clip in the Raider, but then you would defeat the purpose of having a gun than can shoot 35 shots in under a minute. The sticky darts do occasionally get stuck in the longshot clip.
    How old is your son? I hadn't heard it requires great assembly, just the drum adapter and then the drum (and optional stock), what did he do? Glad to hear it's easy to load, even better that you can rapid-fire it. I may have to buy it after all, I'm putting it on my Amazon list to watch for a price drop.

I perfer the longshot due to the duel weapon option. However, the second gun has to be reloaded after every shot. But its easy to separate (unless your left-handed).
    I'm kinda blown away by the Raider's drum and pump-action rapid fire you just mentioned. If the Longshot had a higher-capacity clip, I probably would be digging it more than the Raider because I do like the modularity of it with the Recon.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    True, that's a pretty nice deal, but I don't know the next time I'll be at a Target.
    Well, if you do find yourself there, it's in the electronics section with the other SD cards and flash drives. The Dane-Elec last time I saw it was 4gb for $10 (sometimes on sale for $9 or even $8) and the latest packaging is a small flat card with 3 little blisters for the microSD, USB adapter, and SD adapter.

That's awesome, it looks like the Borg have assimilated the Stargate. Yivo help us.
    Dude, you just mixed 3 separate franchises, nice!

Oh, sorry. The hanger is attached to the disc parton the back that I assume is a cover for the mirror, and is secured with two small screws that seem to go into the Gate. I'm guessing you could probably remove those and change it's position, but it might require new screw holes to be drilled. It feels too secure for two small screws to be holding on that mirror, though, I'm thinking there might be glued involved as well.
    That's too bad, a simple engineering feat could have made that possible. Maybe you could email them and see if it's glue or a slide tab or something more modular for this need - would also help deal with the frustration of aligning the puddle effect, I'd think.

Fortunately, if you don't hang it on the wall, the hanger doesn't get in the way if you want to stand it upside-down. The only problem is that they put the Earth origin symbol on the very bottom, between the two bottom chevrons. So, if you turn the gate upside-down to have the Earth symbol at the top, it will always be off to the side from whichever chevron you put in the center.
    WTF?!? Why would they do that? Such a weird oversight that I think it has to be intentional.

That's true, the Longstrike doesn't quite fit into the clever gimmick aesthetic that the others have set a standard for. It even comes across as slightly pointless because the Longshot fills the sniper rifle role better due to it's bipod. I'm still picking it up sometime, though.
    Come to think of it, the Longstrike doesn't even have a scope, only a flip-up sight similar to the Recon's. The LongShot has the scope, bipod, and that nifty backup gun. But it does look like the Longstrike has an interchangeable barrel, I thought it didn't. Its stock seems to hold 2 more clips, but doesn't come with them.

You're getting the Longstrike, but you're not living the Nerf lifestyle, nosiree.

I think they only discourage the use of them because the rubber overlapping the dart can catch when it's going through the barrel, which would kill the efficiency that the streamlines are capable of. The Raider appears to be the same size as the recon (the stocks can even be swapped), so if your suction darts work fine in the recon, they should be fine in the Raider. I'd love to see a barrage of suction darts coming from a Raider towards something like a fridge.
    I am going to have to try multiple suction darts in the Recon's clip, and streamlines in the Maverick. The prospect of firing off a mountain of suctions at flat targets is indeed too awesome not to see!

Well, you probably could, but you might have to skip a couple payments on your car.
    I doubt it could be as cool as the Maverick Rev-6, and I do like spending less than $10 for the Maverick.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    Congrats!

That thing is unholy. It's massive and it's belt-fed and it's nearly fifty bucks. If they had made that when I was a kid, I would have begged for it. I hear it's actually not that great compared to most of the other N-strikes though.
    It also has three rails for attaching the "laser" sights to, one on top and two on the side. So you can nicely illuminate the person that's not going to have a pleasant experience.

I'm kinda blown away by the Raider's drum and pump-action rapid fire you just mentioned. If the Longshot had a higher-capacity clip, I probably would be digging it more than the Raider because I do like the modularity of it with the Recon.
    I'm really hoping they release the drum magazines separately, but if you do get the Raider later you could just toss the drum mag into the Recon, and the regular mag into the Raider.

Well, if you do find yourself there, it's in the electronics section with the other SD cards and flash drives. The Dane-Elec last time I saw it was 4gb for $10 (sometimes on sale for $9 or even $8) and the latest packaging is a small flat card with 3 little blisters for the microSD, USB adapter, and SD adapter.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that! I heard mention that we may be venturing out this weekend, but it depends on how much ice is still left on the roads.

Dude, you just mixed 3 separate franchises, nice!
    I try.

That's too bad, a simple engineering feat could have made that possible. Maybe you could email them and see if it's glue or a slide tab or something more modular for this need - would also help deal with the frustration of aligning the puddle effect, I'd think.

WTF?!? Why would they do that? Such a weird oversight that I think it has to be intentional.
    I did note the disappointment in having the Earth symbol placed there when I mentioned the gate in this thread, where you can ask questions as long as you have a GateWorld account. They answer them on a mostly quickly basis, but the holidays seemed to have delayed them slightly. I'm hoping he addresses why it was put there, if not, then I'll post a question asking about it directly.

Come to think of it, the Longstrike doesn't even have a scope, only a flip-up sight similar to the Recon's. The LongShot has the scope, bipod, and that nifty backup gun. But it does look like the Longstrike has an interchangeable barrel, I thought it didn't. Its stock seems to hold 2 more clips, but doesn't come with them.
    Hmm, didn't notice that it's supposed to hold two mags there. That's pretty cool. I may wait to find it marked down since I'd have to buy the magazines separately, though.

You're getting the Longstrike, but you're not living the Nerf lifestyle, nosiree.
    Well, I thought you meant something more active, like these guys.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Well, I can kinda see why the suction darts aren't approved for the Recon and Longshot, they don't load into the clips right, the dart heads are fatter than the dart bodies so when you load multiples in there, they start to angle upwards at the front. This doesn't strictly prevent the suction darts from working in the clip, but I suspect this will cause more jamming than regular darts, when I tried whistler darts, they jammed on the first try.

That said, the Drum magazine could either allow suction darts fine or not depending on how it chambers the darts, but the problem with clip alignment wouldn't be an issue from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I'm really hoping they release the drum magazines separately, but if you do get the Raider later you could just toss the drum mag into the Recon, and the regular mag into the Raider.
    I suspect they will hold off as long as possible on the separate drums, it's not like releasing a $10 pack of clips and streamline darts. So if I get the raider, that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Well, I thought you meant something more active, like these guys.
    Wow, no. That must have been bizarre to be an unwitting spectator on.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    My mother bought it all for him. She thinks Christmas is for shopping. I have two childern and my sister has four. We had Christmas at my sisters and her dinning room set had to be moved out of the room because of the amount of presents my mom bought.
    Geez, that's a lot to get a grandson all at once.

He's nine, but he doesn't read directions. In fact I never saw them. If you force the drum into the adaptor before the gun is cocked, you can jam it pretty bad. Then he tried to unscrew the gun to get it out. That was the majority of the trouble. The rapid rire is cool, but you have to keep pumping to fire.
    Oh man, that's pretty bad. The Recon doesn't allow you to load its clip before cocking, so I can see how messed up stuff can get there. Poor lil guy tried to take it apart, I remember trying stuff like that at that age and having the springs pop out and confound me. You're a good guy for getting it back together.

I figured that's how the rapid fire worked, not a problem for me, I like the pump action gimmick.

You can add the drum to the longshot, but no rapid fire.
    Yeah, not surprised, the Recon is the same way.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

[FONT=Courier New]I'm back at my desk after the long holiday break. We gave everybody at work 2 four day weekends and I was gone the 3 days in between.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Here's my Christmas haul. It was a big Star Wars Christmas for me:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Marc Ecko SW Hoodies: X Wing Luke from my wife and Stormtrooper version from her folks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Hasbro Force FX TPM/AOTC Obi Wan lightsaber from the wife.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- LEGO SW Tantive IV set (wife).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- R/C R2D2 in my stocking (wife).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- LEGO store gift cards from my brother and from wife that I turned in to get a LEGO SW ARC-170 and a LEGO SW Freeco Speeder.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Homemade stuffed Bantha that my wife made.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- Nerf Reactor gun from my sister's husband.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- TRU gift card from my FIL/MIL.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- A "homemade" car kit from my wife with napkins, tissues, bottled water, candy, soda, etc. to keep in my truck.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- A tiny little hot dog keychain that my wife knit for me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]- A Benchmade 14800 HK OTF knife from my wife's brother (a couple weeks before Christmas).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]My wife definitely spoiled me this year and it was an all around great Christmas.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]As for the ongoing Nerf discussion... Right before Thanksgiving, our local retailer Fred Meyer had a huge sale on toys and I got 2 Mavericks and a Recon to have around the house. I definitely like the Recon, but I prefer the Maverick to it. But now that I know the Longshot and Recon parts are interchangeable, I will definitely have to get a Longshot the next time it goes on sale.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I plan on getting the Raider this month after I get paid again. I like the drum magazine and reading on here about how it fires "automatically" as you pump it is a huge selling point.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I got the Vulcan last year for Christmas, but the darn thing jammed and then broke after playing with it (read: shooting my wife with it) for only 10-15 minutes. It's the only time I broke a toy (or had one break on me) ON Christmas Day. I took it back to Target and got 2 GH Cinema Scenes instead. I think I got 7-8 Cinema Scenes last Christmas between gifts and after Christmas spending.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Happy New Year, my friends.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]