Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What did you like about SW collecting in '09?

We've got plenty of threads about what's gone wrong in SW collecting for 2009, so I'm curious to see what was good about it for folks. A few days ago I did my '09 write-up and there was plenty to be positive about, and no surprise, plenty to be not so positive about too. But when I asked a friend what he liked about SW collecting in 2009, his answer was vague, like he wasn't sure despite buying EVERYTHING.

So, what did YOU like about Star Wars collecting in 2009?

I'll post my list when the Year in Review article comes out.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

[FONT=Courier New]2009 was a good year for me for collecting for a few reasons.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Hasbro released the CW Y Wing which is a great vehicle! They also released the Turbo Tank which even though it's much smaller in scale than it is in media, it's a fun toy with lots of features and missiles.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]They also released the Republic Gunship turret pods which really complete the look of the Republic Gunship along with extra pilots, I was able to fill out my Clone Pilot ranks for my various fighter craft and gunships, of which I was able to pick up 2 more loose/complete AOTC paint schemed RG's, so now I have a total of 9 Republic Gunships.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]With all of that, I would say that for the most part, my army and fleet building for a Grand Army of the Republic is complete. I may pick up a second Y Wing down the road and possibly 1-2 Swamp Speeders, but my collection goal from Christmas 2005 is achieved.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I also received 2 more Marc Ecko SW hoodies for Christmas for my collection as well as a Obi Wan TPM/AOTC Force FX lightsaber, bringing my collection to 5 (6 if you count the MR Construction Kit). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I also expanded into collecting LEGO SW sets (I think my first LEGO purchase of 2009 was within the first few days of January!) and have been collecting the Republic Army sets as well as a few OT sets here and there. The jewel in the LEGO collection being the LEGO Death Star set that my wife wanted us to get as a joint 2nd anniversary gift.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I also got deeper into the Galactic Heroes sets and picked up the various JSF sets, a second MF set from CostCo (the paint on this one is pretty great compared to the WM set from 2008), and the Slave I. The GH Slave I is probably one of the best vehicles in this line yet and I can't wait to get the repainted Jango version as well as the CW Y Wing that we keep seeing pictures of.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]All in all, 2009 was a great year for SW for me. 2010 will be more LEGO SW sets, Galactic Heroes, and a much more casual focus for the Hasbro 3 3/4" stuff. ESB (My favorite movie and the best of the 6, IMO) will be the main focus for me with the Hasbro 3 3/4" line. I might even get a Cloud Car or 2(!), 1-2 of the new Snow Speeders for sure. The rumored AT-AT (if it materializes, which I am sure it will) will be on my short list, along with various figures.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]For the CW Animated figures, I will continue to pick up 1-2 each of various clones just to have around for my nephews to play with as they get older.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I am sure I missed some things on my 2009 recap, but it was a good collecting year for me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]Thanks for the thread and the chance to share.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I'd say the waves made sense as far as grouping the figures together and there was a nice mix of background nobodies, main characters, iconic scenes (like Cantina 2x, Jabba's Palace) that didn't resort into every wave having Darth Vader for once. I still liked the comic packs and the Evo sets but the more EU you like the more you'll probably like these anyways. And I didn't feel bad for passing on things like in pervious years.

The thing that I'm most interested in is that despite the massive amount of other Toylines that were attempted to launch during their pre- and post movie pushes, it seems only GI Joe (and to a lesser extent Wolverine, but as part of the Marvel line) survived with Star Wars. Star Wars kept on going, despite everythign going on around it.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

2009 was an interesting year for Star Wars collecting for me. I gave up the 3.5" line years ago but typically pick up a few figures a year. From what I can remember, I didn't buy a figure until after SDCC. The figures that was shown at Comic Con, made me feel nostalgic for my collecting years. Wedge with an X-Wing, Slave Leia, Turbo tank, EU jedi and Vong. Unfortunately, pricing and availability kept me from getting half of what was on my list. I loved the fact that the AT-TE was at half price. Wish the BMF Falcon would follow.

I needed to give up the 3.5" line with all the great Sideshow figures that have been released. I wish they would stick to a figure a month instead of no figures for three months and then hit you with three at once.

After a light year in '08 for Legos due to costs, I picked it up full steam this year. I liked the fact Lego is willing to do capital ships and playsets. Even though its a 2010 line, I hope that TIE defender will pave the way for more EU ships and sets. Maybe even a coralskipper vs. Shadow X-Wing one day.

My son collects Galactic heroes and the Titanium ships. They have a great vehicle release for GH minus the much wanted TIE fighter. I will miss the Titanium ships but boy did they go out with a bang.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Usually, at the beginning of every year, I look over everything that I purchased in the previous year and think to myself, "Why did I spend so much money on all this crap?"

However, I don't feel that way this year. Some of the best Star Wars merchandise in the history of the brand was released in 2009.

The quality of the figures was consistently high, in fact just about every new figure released in 2009 was of higher quality than most of the 2004 VOTC line. And those were all sold for $10 each and were intended to be "premium" action figures. However, now we are getting figures that blow most of those away as pack-ins for crying out loud!

Seriously, if DS2 Luke was Hasbro's greatest misstep of 2009, then it's been a great year for action figures.

Then we get to the vehicles and I don't think we've ever seen so many high quality vehicle releases in one year. I even doubt that the movies years of 1999, 2002 and 2005 can compare to what we've seen this year alone.

Finally, the Dewback and new Sandtrooper. 'Nuff said.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

A lot of cool Legacy figures with Build-a-droids. Not only that but the articulation was better on the redone figures that we saw not too long ago. We paid a little more, but we got a little more. No more swivel elbows on even the most obscure figures. Though I haven't opened everything to check.

AT-ST

I was thrilled to get Warok, Needa, Episode II Owen and Beru, Saurin, Black Bespin Guard. All six are in my Top 30 list I made after Revenge of the Sith. So 1/5 of the list in one year is really good. I think the Owen, Saurin, and Black Bespin Guard figures have their issues, but I'm glad to have them. And there aren't really any unmade figures from Empire that I really want anymore, so that's pretty impressive.

I was also really glad to get the last droid from the droid sale and Leesub. The recent A New Hope Legacy wave was really a great wave for me.

I think the Jedi wave had a lot of fun figures that I was glad to get. I really like the interchangable torso on Slave Leia as I always hated having Leia stand by my vintage Kenner Jabba's throne.

In the Galactic Heroes line I was glad to get Admiral Ackbar, Nien Nunb, Droopy McCool, and Max Rebo. There aren't that many more of the little guys I'd really like. I am hoping they get to Sy Snootles and Salacious Crumb.

I really hope an equivalent of the Legacy line is still going in 2011.

In short, 2009 was a great year for SW. For me, what really shone was the vehicles. From the Freeco Speeder to the Y-wing to the Turbo Tank, just about everything was of exremely high quality, and there was a lot of it. I'll post a longer list of highlights later.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

In 2008, my interest shifted to Indy, but in 2009 my focus was completely back on SW. Sculpts, detail and articulation continue to reach new heights, and it's consistent across the board... as bigb said, basic figures are better and cheaper than VOTC from a few years ago. Plus we get "free" bonus BADs to boot.

I didn't mind the gap in releases too much - although the end of the year was expensive, I managed, and there was enough other stuff around to keep me going - mainly Lego (highlight - Hoth set, with Lego Tauntaun!) and Galactic Heroes (highlight - Nunb and Ackbar). It also gave me a chance to upgrade my vintage collection, with more variants, and replacing all the repro accessories with originals.

But back to Hasbro... the Rancor was incredible. I nearly didn't bother, as it wasn't released over here, and so expensive online, and photos really didn't do it justice. But I found a fairly good deal just before Christmas, and when I compared it to my POTF2, it just blew that one away. I'm sure I'll feel the same about the Dewback when I get one (I have one on its way, thanks to a fellow SSGer).

Finally, here are some of my favourite figures from the year:

Giran
    Utai
    Hrcheck Kal Fas
    Ugnaughts
    Nysad
    CW Yoda
    Kit Fisto (Geonosis Arena)

Yeah, I loves me aliens!
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

The Lego (another section on SSG, of course) products were great (Y-Wing, Hoth sets, etc.), the CW cards series and hearing that SWG5 would be out early this year (also another section, but...), and some pretty good 3 3/4" figs (none immediately come to mind, but since I actually BOUGHT several over the year, that says something for me) and vehicles, all made for a strong '09.

That said, I still plan to collect at the if-I-like-it-I'll-buy-it pace, rather than the Pokemon-esque gotta-get-'em-all. I figure (pun always intended) that I will shell out at least $100 on Hasbro SW stuff in The Year We Make Contact (TYWMC), plus much more on books, cards, music (IF IF IF any is produced! ), etc.
    "That's what Sheev said."