Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vinyl Cape Jawa Question

Can anyone tell me if the vintage VC Jawa figure itself is the same as a basic vintage cloth cloaked Jawa figure? Thanks!
    Yoda - "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you."

As far as I know the figure itself is unchanged. The only non-cape variations are the big eyes and small eyes version, which is just how the eye dots are painted, but I don't think it's actually a change in the molding. I think the larger eye variants are the later release (ROTJ, POTF) versions.

So if you see a vinyl cape Jawa with the large eye dots, then I would guess it to be a forgery; but I could be wrong.

There are also variants in the cloth capes themselves. The early ones fit very loosely and the later ROTJ and POTF Jawas have tighter fitting capes that are made of a softer material.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Many thanks, bigbarada!
    Yoda - "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you."

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    The only non-cape variations are the big eyes and small eyes version, which is just how the eye dots are painted, but I don't think it's actually a change in the molding. I think the larger eye variants are the later release (ROTJ, POTF) versions.
    I'll darn. I never noticed that one before. But just checked my Jawas and my cape caped Jawa (which came off an ROTJ card) does have bigger eyes than than the vinyl cape one. I'm incline to say it's a minor variation, but than again I was never terrible worried about variations.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I just received a VC Jawa and, for grading purposes, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cape and placing it on a better quality figure. I want to make sure that I don't place it on a Jawa variant that doesn't wear the vinyl cape (like the Jawas with the larger eyes).

I don't know if the stamped Lucasfilm and year would be different as well. Possibly.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I don't know if the stamped Lucasfilm and year would be different as well. Possibly.
    I doubt it. The stamp and year didn't change for any of the R2s. I can't imagine Kenner changing is for just a minor change like the cape.

Quote Originally Posted by roberr22 View Post
    I just received a VC Jawa and, for grading purposes, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cape and placing it on a better quality figure.
    I think that's a really bad idea. That's how vinyl capes get stretched and torn. It doesn't matter how careful you are, it still happens. Besides any time the accessory and figure don't match in terms of quality it sends up a red flag for me.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Thanks! That's good to know. So, as I undertand it, the only variation on the figure itself are the large eyes on ROTJ and POTF Jawas, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by roberr22 View Post
    I just received a VC Jawa and, for grading purposes, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cape and placing it on a better quality figure. I want to make sure that I don't place it on a Jawa variant that doesn't wear the vinyl cape (like the Jawas with the larger eyes).
    For grading purposes, if your figure is "loose" (not packaged) as it sounds to be, you might also want to make certain your VC Jawa is indeed a legit "VC Jawa" and not a fake. I'm not a vintage collecter (so I'm certain others here are more knowledgeable than I on the subject), but from my understanding VC Jawas are easily faked, usually by trimming an Obi-Wan figure's cape to fit a Jawa if I'm not mistaken.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I'm pretty sure it's legit. The color and fit are dead on and it has the cross-hatch pattern.