Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Wonder If SideShow Is In Financial Trouble?

Are sales slow so there are all these clearance / 2nd Chance offers?

I plan on pre-ordereing 12" Aayla Secura but I wouldn't say my purchases help support the company. I'm just glad they're there.

Right now what I'd really like to buy is an onion bagel, toasted, with butter on it. Then I'd like to eat it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

It could be. Or sales could just be down. I imagine an awful lot of people aren't willing to fork over $50+ for figures anymore.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I would guess it's standard 1st quarter doldrums. Also, if they keep stock around too long, they'll be taxed on it in a different way, so it pays to sell it off rather than keep it around too long. I doubt they're in big trouble, they gave away TONS of free money at last year's conventions and yet here they can afford to give away a little more.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I would guess it's standard 1st quarter doldrums. Also, if they keep stock around too long, they'll be taxed on it in a different way, so it pays to sell it off rather than keep it around too long. I doubt they're in big trouble, they gave away TONS of free money at last year's conventions and yet here they can afford to give away a little more.
    I'm sure they are fine. MR, on the other hand...
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

As I understand it, MR was bought by Corgi, but Hasbro bought the Star Wars prop license and took the MR Star Wars team out with them and put under Hasbro's banner.

Now Hasbro is preparing to re-release MR product under their new banner - forgot the latest pseudo-company name, and then maybe for 2009 develop new stuff that we don't already have, like a Force FX Obi-Wan lightsaber from TPM (now with free Galactic Hero surprise in every box).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Probably, since I doubt many people collect these.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    As I understand it, MR was bought by Corgi, but Hasbro bought the Star Wars prop license and took the MR Star Wars team out with them and put under Hasbro's banner.

Now Hasbro is preparing to re-release MR product under their new banner - forgot the latest pseudo-company name, and then maybe for 2009 develop new stuff that we don't already have, like a Force FX Obi-Wan lightsaber from TPM (now with free Galactic Hero surprise in every box).
    That's not right. Corgi merged with MR, MR's CEO became the Corgi CEO. Hasbro bought no prop license, Lucas ended the license with MR and then gave it to eFX, and I believe Hasbro's Force FX license is a sub-license through eFX. eFX's Star Wars team is essentially the MR original team and not at all related to Hasbro. Regular props will come straight from eFX, while Hasbro is only distributing Force FX sabers, they're still made by the same factory, Hasbro will be adding new sabers to the line in '09.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That's not right. Corgi merged with MR, MR's CEO became the Corgi CEO.
    So it was an alliance, not a buyout?

Hasbro bought no prop license, Lucas ended the license with MR and then gave it to eFX,
    Who is eFX in reality?

and I believe Hasbro's Force FX license is a sub-license through eFX.
    What does that mean? Who gets paid when someone buys a lightsaber? (who is everyone that gets paid, I mean)

eFX's Star Wars team is essentially the MR original team and not at all related to Hasbro. Regular props will come straight from eFX, while Hasbro is only distributing Force FX sabers, they're still made by the same factory,
    I understand what's immediately above, but...

Hasbro will be adding new sabers to the line in '09.
    "How" if Hasbro does not own eFX? Isn't that eFX's business and Hasbro is just contracted to do their distributing? I don't understand.

I want an FX Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber from TPM. Who might make it? Who might be paid for it if I buy it?

EFX is owned by the old employees of MR. You guys see EFX's McQ 1:1 Concept Vader helmet? It's really cool! I think they will do well.

As for SSC, they are incompetent and can't make a decent SW 12" figure to save their lives. That latest figure looks like Hasbro made it. I would be more forgiving if it costs 24.99, but the damn thing is going to be 70-80 plus. No thank you. The license needs to be taken from them and given to HOT TOYS. Sure the figures will cost $150, but damn they will look like $150 bucks!
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    So it was an alliance, not a buyout?
    No, they are not related in any way from everything we've seen so far. Lucasfilm split the license, there is no alliance. You're always looking for connections whether they are there or not.

Who is eFX in reality?
    Most of the original founders and employees of MR.

What does that mean? Who gets paid when someone buys a lightsaber? (who is everyone that gets paid, I mean)
    Hasbro gets money as distributor, Lucasfilm gets money as licensor.

"How" if Hasbro does not own eFX? Isn't that eFX's business and Hasbro is just contracted to do their distributing? I don't understand.
    GEEZ! How do you not get this? They are NOT RELATED AT ALL! How many ways do I have to say this? Hasbro and eFX are not related, they are both Star Wars licensees, that's it. eFX doesn't make the Force FX electronic lightsabers, period. The factory that makes the Force FX sabers is unrelated to eFX or Master Replicas or Hasbro or Lucasfilm, they're a Chinese factory. Hasbro sends them designs on paper and program, the factories however are who make those designs into physical molds - this is true of the Hasbro 3.75" figure line as well, Hasbro employees design and sculpt prototypes, but the factory is who translates that into their own version from which they build the molds. With SW Transformers, Hasbro doesn't even send in a physical prototype for them to redesign for mass-production, they just send drawings and source images.

I want an FX Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber from TPM. Who might make it? Who might be paid for it if I buy it?
    Hasbro is the designer for Force FX, they will draw up designs and send it to the Chinese factory whose name we don't know but who builds the Force FX sabers.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars View Post
    As for SSC, they are incompetent and can't make a decent SW 12" figure to save their lives. That latest figure looks like Hasbro made it. I would be more forgiving if it costs 24.99, but the damn thing is going to be 70-80 plus. No thank you. The license needs to be taken from them and given to HOT TOYS. Sure the figures will cost $150, but damn they will look like $150 bucks!
    You haven't seen Hasbro's 12" figures lately, have you? Sculpting is still awful, much much worse than Sideshow, they still use tapered bodies and fat accessories, and their clothing is abysmal and generic (look at the 12" Indy figures from Hasbro, shockingly bad).