Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would You Buy The Hoth Echo Base Ice Laser Drill?

I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case The Hoth Echo Base Ice Laser Drill from ESB).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Hoth Echo Base Ice Laser Drill?

This vehicle is only noticed on the edge of the first scene I'm displaying a picture of below. I never noticed it in 30 years but JediTricks pointed it out to me when I was looking for the Hoth Echo Base Personnel Carrier.

This drill was never used by Luke Skywalker in a cut scene that I'm aware of - I think the picture on the right (below) was made for a publicity shot.

It could go in a battle pack with perhaps a pilot like Wedge or Hobbie in Hoth Pilot gear and an astromech or Hoth Gonk Droid.

I don't think this vehicle would be deployed as a weapon at all, but is rather more like a construction tool.

Do you want this made?

How do you think it would sell if produced, at each price point ($15 or $24)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EchoBaseHangar.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	22594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser_Ice-Cutter.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	22595  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho, I'm not seeing any of the pics you mentioned....
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Seems like your running out of ship options.

The only way I would pick this up is if it was a pack-in with something. Snowspeeder, battle pack, etc. I woud not buy this if it was sold seperately. So I guess the answer is no. I don't think suggesting they put it in a battle pack is a good way to determine if a vehicle is wanted. If the figures with it sucks, then it will sit on the shelf.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I'd buy it. But I like transports/accessories because of their utility.

I don't see the pic either. Must be the dillusions of grandeur again.
    Last edited by pbarnard; 02-18-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Suffering from dillusions of grandeur
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I like this thing, so yes, I want it. If Hasbro expands the figure and vehicle line beyond just Clone Wars and the one TRU Legacy exclusive, then I think this would be a good fit for that line with a Luke figure without the head wrap.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Wow, we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I don't recall ever seeing this thing. I need to see some photos, but I'm pretty sure that my vote will be no.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

If it's what I'm thinking of, I always thought it was a cannon, not a drill, but I'd buy it anyway, if it were $20 or less.

Is this what you're talking about?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux, that is the gun attached to it, but it's part of a larger vehicle, the Laser Ice Cutter is its actual name: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_ice-cutter
    It's the vehicle far left in this pic: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:EchoBaseHangar.jpg
    Here's another angle I've never seen before: http://nl.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Be...Ice-Cutter.jpg

My vote would be a yes, although in real life it'd be totally conditional. I could see buying it as a deluxe figure & vehicle thing, or part of a battle pack, but at $20 on its own, probably not unless it came with the Echo Base Rebel Troop Carrier as well (which wouldn't be a hot seller, but it would be a nifty set for us fans).

You know, I wonder why Kenner never made a vintage toy of this. They were getting into mini rigs and weird stuff that was barely noticeable in the films at the time, this seems like it'd be right up their alley.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Wow, I never realized there was more to it! Thanks, JT. I would definitely buy this bad boy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I would definitely buy this. Anything to fill up my favourite Star Wars set/location Echo Base.