Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ewoks animation cels

I bought these a couple of years ago, but I'm just getting around to getting them photographed and catalogued.

This is the largest set that I have. It features 39-frames of Paploo laughing at Teebo. I've attached the frames in groupings of 12, along with a picture of the original folder from Nelvana. Each cel is roughly 10.5 x 12.5 inches.

Unfortunately, the cels themselves have become stuck to the pencil drawings underneath. That's one of the reasons that I wanted to post these, to see if anyone knew anything about this kind of thing and had any advice for how to separate the cels from the drawings without damaging anything.

More pictures to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-1-12.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	22596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-13-24.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	22597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-25-36.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	22598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-37-39.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	22599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-folder.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	22600  

Here's a close up of one of the cels, it was actually this image that made me want to buy this set. You can see the pencil lines on the paper underneath.

Also included photos of the dopesheet, which was the old school method for syncing up the dialog with the animation back when everything was done by hand. You can see the Nelvana and Ewoks logo on the sheet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-p37.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	22601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-dopesheet-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	22602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paploo-dopesheet-2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	22603  

Oh wow! It's Paploo, that's really neat! I always enjoyed the look and feel of Ewoks Season I more than the goofy look and feel of Season II. Too cutesy even for Ewoks, and they totally switched the voice cast out. I did however enjoy the whole "belt of honor concept". But I can't stand all the little Endorian extras, like "Larry" "The Tromes" and "The Mimphs" (teeny rabbits? why??) I liked Norky though, he was a little punk. Nelvana did better with the early Ewoks, and this Paploo cel is great. Congrats on a great Ewoks collectible!

I have a cell I got from the fan club several years ago. It's a jaw. Just a jaw. Even I had a hard time getting excited about that.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I have a cell I got from the fan club several years ago. It's a jaw. Just a jaw. Even I had a hard time getting excited about that.
    I got a rock. :Charlie Brown:

Quote Originally Posted by ChukhaTrok76 View Post
    Oh wow! It's Paploo, that's really neat! I always enjoyed the look and feel of Ewoks Season I more than the goofy look and feel of Season II. Too cutesy even for Ewoks, and they totally switched the voice cast out. I did however enjoy the whole "belt of honor concept". But I can't stand all the little Endorian extras, like "Larry" "The Tromes" and "The Mimphs" (teeny rabbits? why??) I liked Norky though, he was a little punk. Nelvana did better with the early Ewoks, and this Paploo cel is great. Congrats on a great Ewoks collectible!
    Agreed, season 1 was definitely better. They actually had a supporting cast with Paploo, Weechee, and Willy. In season 2, they shifted the entire concept to focus solely on Wicket, Kneesa, Teebo and Latara, everyone else just got shoved into the background, including Chukha-Trok, Kaink and Asha, who were introduced at the end of season 1 and totally forgotten about in season 2. Not to mention completely redesigning Chief Chirpa with zero explanation. I think the show might actually have lasted a little longer if they hadn't completely revamped it after only one season.

I would love to get some animation cels of Chukha-Trok. That's actually my present goal right now. Paploo was always my second favorite Ewok from the cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Any idea whose jaw?

I actually bought these cels off of Ebay and they're still pretty easy to track down, just do a search for "ewoks animation cels" or "ewoks production cels." Most of the time, the sellers are willing to cut you a deal if you ask to buy an entire sequence.

I'v only got one cell from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and it's stuck to the paper. Word of advice: don't try to unstick em. I did research for months trying to find a way to unstick mine and everything I Read says the same thing. You can't do it without damaging the picture.

My kid decided to look at mine (She's three . . . couldn't realy be mad at her for this as I put it in a drawer she could reach) and just gave it a good rip. Got lucky and it only did very minor damage to some of the black outline and a small part of the eyes of Shinji. Can't even see it since it's the white part, luckily!

I could send her over if you'd like. She'd have a blast!

Rip! . . . . Rip! . . . . Rip!

I got a few rocks too, probably similar to what Chux has.

Well, after some searching on YouTube, I found the episode this sequence belongs to: "The Land of the Gupins" from season 1.

It's at about the 3:45-3:50 mark of this video (I have no idea what language that is dubbed over this):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5yt66nQGCY