Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Space Outlaw View Post
    If the size increase also comes with an increase in features and "play value" wouldn't that be worth the extra money? The BMF proved what Hasbro can do when they really put their heads together and try, and Slave I is a popular ship. It has instant recognition as an iconic Star Wars vehicle. And, as I stated before, there's a lot they could pack into it in that scale without sacrificing proportions or aesthetics. I just think it has a ton of potential and if it's done right I would definitely be willing to shell out the cash for it.
    I guess it depends what you really want. I personally just want a bigger ship with a better place for Han's carbonite to go and a better cockpit. Maybe a jail cell, but only if there room left over. That being said, the cost of these additions would be greater than my need for them. Now if you want a Slave I that looks like the one in the Cross sections book, you are going to pay for it. I just don't think it's worth it. The last Slave I released was nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    As it is now, I like the 2002/2004 ones a lot. The toys do just about everything the ship did in the films (and I don't care too much whether or not it can hold Han in carbonite), so until we see it a lot more, I don't care about an upgrade.
    Problem is, if we see anymore of the ship, it will likely be Jango's Slave I and not Boba's Slave I. I think most people want Boba's version. It would be nice if Hasbro did a ship with replaceable color panels. But that would not be smart by them. Although a color changing one like they do with Hot Wheels would be cool.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

As a proponent for the Slave I, what I really want is a ship that has room for the carbonite block, a better cockpit, and a ship that looks more like what we saw on screen. I may be in the minority here, but the only Slave I I have is the POTF2 version and it blows. I missed the other two incarnations and so I don't know if they are any good or not. What I would hate to have happen is that I would go and pay a good sum of money on eBay just to find out a year latter that they are redoing this classic (and popular) Star Wars vehicle. I would buy it twice in AOTC and ESB colors and I think kids might be drawn to another incarnation, though maybe not both versions.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Is the version you have from the mid 90's? If that's the case, then yeah, it blows. They re-did the mold for ATOC and it was pretty good. then the released it as Boba's version a few years later as a Target exclusive.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Yeah the mid 90's one is what I've got. I think I actually got it in SOTE packaging.... I saw the rereleases but it's been so long now I almost expect Hasbro to redo it or rerelease it so buying on eBay seems incredibly foolish.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I can see it being popular with Boba Fett fans, of which there are many, but claiming that the Slave 1 is anywhere near the level of "iconic-ness" as the Millenium Falcon is silly, IMO.
    I stated that it's a ship with a big fan base that can easily fall into the size class Hasbro considers to be worth $100, and that there's a lot of features that can be packed into it to attract children--and, because said features can easily be based on the ship's known capabilities as seen on-screen, it can be done without alienating older collectors, a lot of whom consider such action features to be annoying and cheesy when they're just "thrown in" to get kids to want it. It's been seen in two movies, tons of comics and books, and it belongs to a character loved by millions.

In contrast, the Turbo Tank has been seen on-screen for all of about twenty to thirty seconds and we never saw any part of its interior. Hasbro still released it at the $100 price point and it still sold, apparently well enough that I've personally never seen one on clearance. Its only other appearances have been literary, and under a different name no less (probably because Marvel has the rights to the "Juggernaut" name sewn up). No named character has ever been associated with one, and half the stuff they put in the toy was made-up to fill space. What we see on-screen is so lacking in reference to what it could theoretically do Hasbro had to re-hash a three-year-old speeder bike mold to include in the package. Because we don't see it do much on screen, I have to assume much of what was built into it is based on info from the Incredible Cross-Sections book, which many here decry as an atrocious source of reference material and, at best, a compromise between artists (I personally love the book).

And yet the Turbo Tank sold.

In my opinion, Slave I, by comparison, should sell even better.

I said it was iconic, which to me means you take one look at it and know exactly where it comes from without needing to ask. It's undeniably instantly recognizable as a Star Wars vehicle. I never said it had the "iconic-ness" of the Falcon. Nothing in Star Wars does, except maybe the Death Star, and I'd appreciate it if you keep the insults to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Space Outlaw View Post
    I stated that it's a ship with a big fan base that can easily fall into the size class Hasbro considers to be worth $100, and that there's a lot of features that can be packed into it to attract children--and, because said features can easily be based on the ship's known capabilities as seen on-screen, it can be done without alienating older collectors, a lot of whom consider such action features to be annoying and cheesy when they're just "thrown in" to get kids to want it. It's been seen in two movies, tons of comics and books, and it belongs to a character loved by millions.

In contrast, the Turbo Tank has been seen on-screen for all of about twenty to thirty seconds and we never saw any part of its interior. Hasbro still released it at the $100 price point and it still sold, apparently well enough that I've personally never seen one on clearance. Its only other appearances have been literary, and under a different name no less (probably because Marvel has the rights to the "Juggernaut" name sewn up). No named character has ever been associated with one, and half the stuff they put in the toy was made-up to fill space. What we see on-screen is so lacking in reference to what it could theoretically do Hasbro had to re-hash a three-year-old speeder bike mold to include in the package. Because we don't see it do much on screen, I have to assume much of what was built into it is based on info from the Incredible Cross-Sections book, which many here decry as an atrocious source of reference material and, at best, a compromise between artists (I personally love the book).

And yet the Turbo Tank sold.

In my opinion, Slave I, by comparison, should sell even better.

I said it was iconic, which to me means you take one look at it and know exactly where it comes from without needing to ask. It's undeniably instantly recognizable as a Star Wars vehicle. I never said it had the "iconic-ness" of the Falcon. Nothing in Star Wars does, except maybe the Death Star, and I'd appreciate it if you keep the insults to yourself.
    No insult intended and I definitely didn't mean to word my post like a personal attack.

For what it's worth, I might actually buy a $100 Slave 1, but I'm not one of those who thinks that it "must" be made. The 2004 OTC Slave 1 was perfect as far as I'm concerned.

i for one would also love to see a larger more realistic version of Slave 1 that could be redone for either Jango or Boba but i feel that Hasbro would really not give the fans what they truly want... i mean some of the features for the ship are almost all pure EU and since Hasbro is sorta moving away from EU i doubt that they woould invest the time and money into redoing the ship..
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    No insult intended and I definitely didn't mean to word my post like a personal attack.

For what it's worth, I might actually buy a $100 Slave 1, but I'm not one of those who thinks that it "must" be made. The 2004 OTC Slave 1 was perfect as far as I'm concerned.
    S'all good, man. And I'm not saying it "must" be made either; it's something I would personally love to see and would go to great lengths to purchase (as I will the BAT-AT upon its release) and I believe it would be a good return on any money and effort Hasbro might wish to invest in it, perhaps a better return than some of their other offerings. I really hope, if any reps read these forums, that they take the idea under serious consideration.

As a kid I had the vintage Slave I. I only played with it because it was a vehicle that Santa Claus had brought to me instead of a TIE Fighter. Even then, I thought it was a strange, somewhat dull design. I seriously doubt I'd buy an improved one.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm just not massively excited about the new AT-AT. Back in 98 when I got my first one I certainly was, my brothers never had it (I was born too late) but a friend of mine did and I was blown away by the size of it. Of course I wouldn't have been fully grown at the time or even when I eventually got mine.

But this new one, I dunno. It wouldn't have been my choice for a redo simply because I personally have no diorama for it. The battlefields of Hoth would be just too big and space consuming. So my AT-AT just sits around and ultimately thats all this one will do. When I buy the new one my POTF2 will be useless beyond nostalgiac/toy historical value. I suppose I'm not eager for that to happen like some are.