Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SSG's Monthly Hasbro Q&A - February 23rd

Is Sgt. Edian really Sgt. Edian? We find out from Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for February 23rd, 2010. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of February 23rd, 2010

SSG: While we know that the readership of ToyFare Magazine and its parent company, Wizard, are not chiefly a Star Wars collecting-oriented group which can give weird results like the 2006 EU-centric Fans Choice poll, it seems like the most recent Fans Choice poll results are arousing even more raised eyebrows and suspicions among the collecting community. Certain characters seem to have come out of nowhere to claim top spots, and the website which ToyFare ran the poll seemed to have no obvious safeguards against ballot-stuffing. To quell fans suspicions on this, where there safeguards in place to prevent overzealous fans from flooding the poll with votes? We know it's just a toy line, but obviously collectors take it seriously, so what can you tell fans to satisfy their concerns about the poll's veracity, that this is truly all of their choices, and not just the choices of a few unscrupulous fanatics?

Hasbro: We were vigilant to make sure the poll ran smoothly, and we can verify that Wizard World counted only one vote per IP-address (despite what appeared to be glitches that allowed multiple votes). Overall, the votes were surprisingly evenly distributed. The final results were interesting in the sense that there was a burst of EU characters at the top of the charts, followed by a long stretch of film characters. This tells us that there is demand still for a few higher-profile and interesting EU characters. This poll provides a good roadmap for the next few years just as the previous poll did. The 2006 results were very prophetic; many of the characters from that list that inspired development turned out to be some of our most popular from the last few years. While we won't have the widened EU scope over the next few years that we have had recently, we are still passionate about bringing great characters from other media into the lineup.

SSG: Regarding the head on the Cloud City Wing Guard figure, the cardback bio suggests this is supposed to be Sgt. Edian, yet while the coloring is a black person's and Edian is a black man, the sculpt is clearly that of a white guy. Everything about the head sculpt, even the part in the hair, is a different guy given a dark brown deco. While it could be seen technically as an update to the vintage black Bespin Security Guard on skin tone alone, the features and cardback on that Kenner figure were clearly Edian and were differentiated from the other Kenner white Bespin Guard figure. In fact, there is some similarity to another guard, Sgt. Merril, an older white man. Was the original idea to produce a Merril figure and that looked too similar to the planned Utris M'Toc so his ethnicity was changed? Why was this new Edian figure given a white guy's face sculpt? Any chance we'll see this head sculpt again as Sgt. Merril, and a new, more accurate Sgt. Edian sculpt in the future?

Hasbro: The Bespin Security figure sculpt reference was based on Sgt. Edian. While it was not our intent, we see how you might think the sculpt does have some resemblance to Sgt. Merril. That was not the intent, in any case.
    - -

And our questions at CollectionStation.com:

• Most of Emperor Palpatine's scenes from ROTJ feature him seated in his throne, which hasn't been released in 13 years. That release, the "Final Jedi Duel" Cinema Scene, suffers by comparison with newer items in its relative lack of detailing and permanent attachment to the extended base from that set. Have you considered, or would you consider now that we brought it up, an improved version of the throne which would ideally have more detailed controls, a swivel base (that's not several inches long), and Luke's lightsaber hilt (with a spot to put it on the arm)? Oh, and while we're at it, what about an Emperor who can sit in it as well as he stands?
    • Many collectors are reporting their local stores' Star Wars pegs clogged with slow-moving Saga Legends figures, stagnating and choking out Legacy Droid Factory basic figures. Recently, Wal-mart and Target stores have been selling "blockbuster value" buy-1-get-1-free 2packs of Saga Legends basic cards alongside the 2packs of Legacy basics. The SKU is the only one in the brand to not be changing this year. And now your site is offering a promotion where the purchase of many of the Role Play toys will get 3 free Saga Legends figures. Is the future of Saga Legends perhaps not as bright as had originally been forecasted? If not, why the incidents mentioned above? We already know that the main figure line in 2010 will be more a mix of Greatest Hits and have vintage-themed packaging which will help differentiate it from Clone Wars, and Saga Legends is going to share the CW line's card style, so how will Saga Legends fit into the mix other than a packaging change, will it be scaled back so as to not overwhelm the pegs? Will we see a quicker rotation of product so to avoid pegwarmers like Saesee Tiin or character crossovers into Clone Wars and Legacy like Plo Koon?

I really don't know how they can say Edian is Edian with a straight face. (pun intended )

Well, they say it was 1 vote per IP address, so only those with rotating IP addies or access to a proxy server (which, now that I think of it, would be a dandy way to do this), so I guess folks just have bad taste.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If the one-vote-per-IP-address thing is true, then it's kind of funny to think some people wasted their time voting again and again. Then again, it means that way too many people want Jocasta Nu. Hmm . . .

The CS answer about Saga Legends is interesting. It's good to know that Saesee and Plo won't be in it anymore. They say they want to stick to A-level characters, but we already know Bossk is coming in this way. Not sure if that's a great idea.

Dewback Patrol got confirmation on Dr. Evazan, Ponda Baba, and Bom Vimdin for fall 2011. I thought the first two would be out in early 2011 . . . we'll see. I wonder, then, if the Ponda Baba card will have the "Walrus Man" moniker? Seeing as how they changed "Zuckuss" to "4-LOM," they're not above changing to the most accurate name, so it's possible.

Galactic Hunter's answer seems to suggest pretty strongly that a new Oola is coming with Jabba later in the year. Sweet! They also got word that Ziro won't be released to stores but might be a mail-away next year (which would have to be a huge mail-away).

SW Collector got word that the Droid Gunship is planned, but not confirmed, for 2011, so I guess those prototypes we saw were a bit premature.

I think they're lying about Edian, but they made Teek, so it's all good!

It wouldn't be that hard to get access to multiple IP's, if one was determined. For instance, in college, I was pretty much the only Star Wars collector at my school, or at least the only one who would care enough to vote in such a poll. Simply logging into different computers in the five computer labs could've given me a few dozen (maybe a few hundred) distinct IP addresses. I also worked for Information Services; even though I was pretty low-level, that would've been another dozen or so computers I had access to.

Today, most people have their own computers, but I could still probably call up a few dozen people and start a conversation with, "I know you don't collect Star Wars toys, but could you do me a little favor....?"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That is disturbing that so many different people would be voting for Jocasta Nu, or that Jocasta fans are so obsessive that they would vote multiple times from home, school, public libraries, neighbor's houses, etc.

Although I don't think the majority of fans, who voted for her, really WANT Jocasta Nu as a figure. They just think they need her to complete their collection.

Anyways, some interesting bits from JediTempleArchives.com:
    1. it looks like Hasbro intends to at least try to release updates of all 96 vintage figures on vintage cards within the next few years.

2. no more Ewok 2-packs, it's single packed Ewoks from now on.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/co...ticle&sid=5882

Unfortunately, according to YakFace.com, Hasbro doesn't plan to rerelease the POTF cards without coins and they don't plan to make any more coins. So it seems that the "last 15" POTF figures are getting pushed to the back of the line for updates.
    http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/...p?f=125&t=5246

I might work up a question to see if they would consider putting those figures onto corresponding movie cards, instead of repros of the POTF cards. In other words, put 14 of them on ROTJ cards and Luke Stormtrooper on a Star Wars card.

Backing up a bit, the Ewok thing doesn't bother me, since all we really have left is Wicket, Logray, Teebo and Lumat from the vintage figures (even though the 2007 Graak is really Lumat and no stupid EU writer is going to tell me different).

Wicket, Logray and Teebo are recognizable enough to sell on their own, IMO. Especially Wicket. Plus maybe this means that we'll see these figures made with all new sculpts, instead of recycled parts. Also, Hasbro is really going to have to pull out all the stops on sculpting, detail, paint applications and accessories if they want to make these guys look like a good value at $7.99.

The CS questions have been added.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    2. no more Ewok 2-packs, it's single packed Ewoks from now on.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/co...ticle&sid=5882

Backing up a bit, the Ewok thing doesn't bother me, since all we really have left is Wicket, Logray, Teebo and Lumat from the vintage figures (even though the 2007 Graak is really Lumat and no stupid EU writer is going to tell me different).

Wicket, Logray and Teebo are recognizable enough to sell on their own, IMO. Especially Wicket. Plus maybe this means that we'll see these figures made with all new sculpts, instead of recycled parts. Also, Hasbro is really going to have to pull out all the stops on sculpting, detail, paint applications and accessories if they want to make these guys look like a good value at $7.99.
    Wicket and Logray I follow. I'm not sure about Teebo. Is there anything really that is wrong with the PotJ version that needs a major overhaul?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

They've said before they'd also be re-releasing older figures in the new packaging, before it was announced to be TVC. I'd assume Teebo would be a re-release.

It's nice to see they give the ROTJ Emperor the same amount of love and attention they've lavished on ROTJ Jabba the past fifteen years. :roll:

Every answer I read about how well Legends is doing makes me want to bash my head in. Do they really believe what they're saying? Don't they realize that it's only the second-bestselling line because that's what's getting onto shelves?
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 02-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Wicket and Logray I follow. I'm not sure about Teebo. Is there anything really that is wrong with the PotJ version that needs a major overhaul?
    Aside from up-to-date articulation and more overall detail, his only real flaw is that he is waaaaaay too big compared to recent Ewok figures.

They could actually get away with basing Teebo off one of the current Ewok bodies and sticking him in a battle pack. Wicket and Logray would be better as all-new sculpts.

Ugh, I just saw this answer and audibly groaned...

Yakface.com
    Q2: There are bound to be several questions asked regarding the shocker of the last Legacy EU wave (wave 13) being set as a Toys"R"Us / online exclusve. With that troublesome news, what can be said about the production run for those figures. Were they produced in the same volume as prior waves or was there a shorter production run done to avoid costly over-stock now that the TLC line is no more?

A2: Most all of the red/white Legacy Droid Factory waves have been produced in lower production volumes than in previous years in order to make sure that figures don't slow up and we can bring the next waves in. Still, despite the lower production, we have still had difficulties with getting waves to flow evenly. The EU wave will be produced in a volume similar to that of the EpII wave that came out at the end of the blue/white Legacy Droid Factory run last Spring, making it the red/white wave with the shortest production run.
    This is, IMO, compounding the disaster.