Bay's Nightmare on Elm Street

I saw the trailer while watching the Olympics. While I never was a fan of the original, I though, Michael Bay, ruining yet another franchise. I wonder if Bay's Freddy will transform into a drug dealing robot that blows up a boat while looking for a prison.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Bay is only producing.

I like the idea of Jackie Earl Haley as Freddy. And it's good to see them returning to the horror roots - I never cared for the Cartoonish Freddy.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I don't think they can do too much damage to the franchise. The first was kinda scary, the rest were just silly.

I'm an old-school NOES die hard and I groaned when this was first announced...after seeing the trailer online, I had to change my tune a bit because I thought it looked interesting. I assume the movie will be lame as far as the teen angle goes, but I agree with RB about Haley, I think he's a great choice.

I'd say the odds of flopping were/are high if they replace Robert Englund, but I think Haley is an exception to that rule.

I was/am a fan of the creepy Freddy and the cartoony Freddy, I like them both. I'll give this new one a look. But I still dislike the plague of remakes/reboots.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the theaters but withholding judgement for now.. the trailer does look really good though
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

i'm a sucker for horror flicks. i'll be watching it in the theaters. it won't match the original, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad.

Reading through a few of the (overwhelmingly negative) reviews, it looks like Freddy not only stopped wisecracking, but hardly talks at all. And he's a child molester returned from the dead that's only killing the kids he molested.

I'm sorry. That's not Freddy. True, a child molester is far more evil than a "mere" child killer, but Freddy is supposed to be a caricature of the ultimate evil. You're not supposed to root for him (at least in the first couple of movies), but you do. You can't sympathize with a child molester, you can't root for him, because the evil is far less abstract. As horrible as it is, you can make murder ridiculous, and Freddy excelled at this. You can't make child molestation into a joke.

Haley as Freddy seems to be the only good idea. Bay should never be allowed to watch old movies or look at toys (or anything else) from the 80s, because he is a master of ****ing up remakes of the things we grew up with.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wow, lot's of bashing going on here.

Not from me.

This film is what it is...a re-boot of the franchise.

That being the case I found it to be a mixed bag. Overall, I thought it was pretty good.

Those who complain about dialogue and Freddy's wise cracks need to go back and watch the original Elm Street.

This film has more dialogue from Freddy than the original did, and he did in fact make a few wise cracks, again, more so than the original Elm St.

The difference here was that the wise cracks didn't linger like the ones from the later films 3-???. He ran the line and the pace just kept moving, in fact, if you weren't paying close attention you might even miss them. Which is kinda good, because that means there will be more to pick up on when you view the film a 3rd 4th or 5th time.

I was a bit disappointed that they chose to remake several scenes from the original film, such as the bedroom scene with Tina (Chris), the classroom scene with Nancy, the body bag scene, the wall scene, the tub scene. I swear sometimes it felt like they only re-wrote 60% of the film. Granted, they remade them in an original way, and they were obviously trying to appeal to fans of the originals, but I would have rather had a complete re-make.

I was also disappointed by a complete lack to gratuitous nudity, which has always been a hallmark of the genre.

Overall, it was a good film of higher quality than the original. The acting was superior, the annoying characters were non-existent, and the back story was much more plausible.

Yes, I know that making Kruger a child molester was a bit tough to choke down. However, it seems a natural part of the story. In today's society we know that, usually when children are kidnapped and murdered there is usually some type of molestation involved. Twenty-six years ago it was much tougher to choke down. Today we live in a post Jean Bonet Ramsey world, Megan's law has become common sense, and we are all familiar with Amber alerts.

The story was also much more focused, with the kids that were directly involved being the targets of Freddy's rage and the kids being linked to the school.

Overall, I would recommend going to see this film, with the understanding that it is true to the original film, and not so much to the sequels.
    May the force be with you.

I've never been a fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, but I'll probably give this movie a chance on DVD.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    I was a bit disappointed that they chose to remake several scenes from the original film, such as the bedroom scene with Tina (Chris), the classroom scene with Nancy, the body bag scene, the wall scene, the tub scene. I swear sometimes it felt like they only re-wrote 60% of the film. Granted, they remade them in an original way, and they were obviously trying to appeal to fans of the originals, but I would have rather had a complete re-make.
    I have to disagree with you here sith_killer. I was actually looking for the remake scenes. I wanted to see the body-bag scene, I wanted the attack in her bedroom when she was thrown all over the place. These are iconic scenes for me. I am a HUGH Freddy fan, Except for Nightmare 2 . . . *shutter*, and those scenes were important to see. I did miss the bed puking 6 million gallons of blood and I was waiting for marshmallow stairs but instead got chocolate syrup hallway .

And I think that "Child Molester" is more inferred then outright said. I could be mistake b/c its been some time since I saw it, but I swear they just mostly said he did things but never said what. And all you saw was claw marks on the kids. But even still I think is child molester is more of an evil monster the a child killer, it fits the Freddy persona better and makes more sense at least for me.

They make Freddy a psychotic SOB again, unrelenting, pure evil and more violent. I also like the new face makeup. The hole in his left cheek was nice touch and the lack of a defined nose was perfect. I mean your nose is mostly cartilage and if your burned up that bad most of it is not going to be there. Overall I was very pleased with this movie. I was very worried originally when I heard they were remaking it, but after seeing it I can't wait for a squeal. Anything has to be better then that piece o carp that was Nightmare 2!
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"