Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Yeah this is true. I've argued against the need for Jocasta Nu on this basis - who really needs to recreate that brief library scene in AOTC? You would need to build the library for such a 'diorama' to impress because otherwise all the scene requires is Obi-wan, Jocasta and maybe one or 2 random jedi for the background - its probably the least 'busy' scene in the entire saga as regards quantity of people in one shot.
    Reading this paragraph, I got a picture in my head of some collector first getting mocked by guests who see a diorama of just those figures without the diorama, and then get mocked by other guests for wasting their time building a boring library set to complete their diorama. That truly is the no-win scenario. You can only enjoy it for yourself, nobody else will ever get it when they see it, but that means you can't really crow about it either.

But this is why I love echo base - its not always hyper-kinetic action there but it is busy - tonnes of people, droids, ships, people carriers, and the cool set all visible in any one shot. Even if you don't build your own replica of the set with that mix of the man-made and the ice-caves there are still enough characters and ships to populate your scene with for it to be impressive and worthy of being called a 'diorama'.
    I can understand the appeal of the hangar, or a hallway with enemy troops entering the base, or even a slight appeal of the medical bay because a lot of story seeds are planted in that scene, but the communications room isn't any of that, it's just mainly some screens, some consoles, a small number of people, and snow. That part of Echo Base is a bit of a snore to me, it's like building a diorama of the hangar control room from the Death Star II where Jerjerrod gets word that Vader is landing, but without the Imperial appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Yeah, that change never made sense to me. Why would Anakin come back as a young man but Obi-Wan and Yoda stay old? Is that the thanks they get for a lifetime of loyal devotion to the light side of the Force? They have to remain old geezers in the afterlife for all eternity while Anakin, who turned evil and murdered all of their fellow Jedi, gets to come back as a young buck just because he made a "deathbed conversion?" That hardly seems like justice to me.
    Totally! The prequels make it sound like being a Jedi ghost is going to suck anyway though, since only 3.5 of them exist (Qui-Gon exists as a voice only, apparently). And is young Anakin's spirit devoid of the experiences of being Vader, or is he an older mind trapped in that ridiculous young body? If so, doesn't that mean that his visage is a constant reminder of what he WASN'T?!?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Totally! The prequels make it sound like being a Jedi ghost is going to suck anyway though, since only 3.5 of them exist (Qui-Gon exists as a voice only, apparently). And is young Anakin's spirit devoid of the experiences of being Vader, or is he an older mind trapped in that ridiculous young body? If so, doesn't that mean that his visage is a constant reminder of what he WASN'T?!?
    The only way I can live with the young Anakin spirit is if Jedi are given the choice of how to appear in their spirit forms, and Obi-Wan decided to appear as Alec Guinness to Luke since that's how Luke remembered him. Anakin decided to appear as he looked when he was about Luke's age to show Luke how he had been when he had been a nice guy.

I admit, it's shaky reasoning but it doesn't keep me up at night

Quote Originally Posted by vger View Post
    The only way I can live with the young Anakin spirit is if Jedi are given the choice of how to appear in their spirit forms, and Obi-Wan decided to appear as Alec Guinness to Luke since that's how Luke remembered him. Anakin decided to appear as he looked when he was about Luke's age to show Luke how he had been when he had been a nice guy.

I admit, it's shaky reasoning but it doesn't keep me up at night
    Can you imagine that scene in the movie? I can just picture Obi-Wan yelling his head off when he learns he could have been a young and sexy ghost but Qui-Gon forgot to tell him to tick the box for that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Why do you all assume that everyone would want to be their younger self? It's not like youth is going to help you as a ghost.
    Well, maybe the Jedi are like Koreans, they value the wisdom of old age over youthful physical beauty. So in that case Anakin would be cursed with looking like a punk kid for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Well, maybe the Jedi are like Koreans, they value the wisdom of old age over youthful physical beauty. So in that case Anakin would be cursed with looking like a punk kid for all eternity.
    But in Anakin's old age, he was twisted and evil. When he revealed his face to Luke, it was pale, scarred, and deformed. In the novel, it said,
    Vader saw his son crying, and knew is must have been at the horror of the face the boy beheld.
    It intensified, momentarily, Vader's own sense of anguish—to his crimes, now, he added guilt at the imagined repugnance of his appearance. But then this brought him to mind of the way he used to look—striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink. Yes, that was how he'd looked once.
    So, with those thoughts in his mind near his death, it makes sense that he would appear as his younger self. It makes more sense than to appear as he looked at death, or to appear as he did in the original version of the movie, because he had never looked like that.

Why do you all assume that everyone would want to be their younger self? It's not like youth is going to help you as a ghost.
    Yeah, but if you were seen as a younger version of yourself, it would be easier to have ghost sex with hot stripper ghosts.

So, with those thoughts in his mind near his death, it makes sense that he would appear as his younger self. It makes more sense than to appear as he looked at death, or to appear as he did in the original version of the movie, because he had never looked like that.
    That was my point earlier, because he went right from looking like Hayden, to being deformed and Vaderized. When his mask came off, he was deformed and looked like Shaw. But nowhere between Episode 3 and 6 did he look like Shaw ghost. Maybe in an alternate universe, he did.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

First time I'm really checking out this thread, so here's my list:

1. Woof (Klaatuu)
    2. Sim Aloo
    3. Guri
    4. Nomi Sunrider
    5. Anakin Solo
    6. Cliegg Lars
    7. Jocasta Nu
    8. Kithaba
    9. Weequay Skiff Master
    10. Velken Tezeri - this completes the prisoner skiff occupants for diorama purposes
    11. EU Bride Leia/Groom Han
    12. EU Bride Mara/Groom Luke

Also, two Ewok movie 5-packs:

Caravan of Courage - Mace, Cindel, Weechee, Chukka-Trok, Deej
    Battle for Endor - Noa, Terak, Charal, Wicket (w/human eyes) & Teek (so that those of us who can't get to "Star Tours" can buy one)
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"