Hybrid View

What's your core list of "needs to be done" figures?

Whether never made or requiring a remake, there's probably more than a few figures on our lists. But some are way-out fringe stuff, some are whims that we really don't care as much about as we say, and some just don't fit the idea of that "core" need thing. So what are your CORE "needs to be done" figures?

I'll work on mine right now in a general manner, by movie.

Here's my ANH list:

• Luke Farmboy - the resurgence pack was so close, but the legs and head paint kept it from hitting the right notes.
    • Luke Stormtrooper - I know, weird, right? I hate that VOTC head they keep using on this one though. Also, the height has never hit the mark, it's just not "a little short for a stormtrooper".
    • Han ANH - they've got not even close in my book.
    • Leia ANH - again, not even remotely there yet. All the previous are either off by articulation or sculpt or both. And hood-up/hood-down needs to be addressed better.
    • C-3PO - this one is rough, if you like chrome then he's basically there, but the sculpting is so far below non-chromed that it's impossible to put with others, and they've done finer chrome sculpting with TC-14, so either way it's not there in my book. ANH needs to be dirty, ESB needs better removable limbs. And this new one just doesn't look right, yet.
    • R2-D2 - I thought R2 was basically a done deal, until we got the better sculpting and accuracy on the BAD astromechs. If nothing else, a smoother dome with sharper sculpted panels, same with the body, and the "hips" spacer rings would take it a long way. Getting better paint weathering, and scaling the chrome better the way the Ep 1 fig did, would be good too. No light-piped radar eye, that kills sooo many R2s.
    • Darth Vader - ugh, yes, another Vader, sorry. One that looks like ANH would be nice, like the Commtech fig but with quality articulation. That '99 fig was also the last of the non-chiffon capes and skirts, no more of that worthless chiffon-like cloth!
    • Tarkin - the POTF2 version almost holds up, he doesn't need superarticulation or anything, but the pose and sculpt do need a little freshening, he's a main villain after all. Actually, he does need superarticulation for a variety of menacing poses to choose from, I guess.
    • I'm in a wait-n-see pattern for Evazan & Ponda Baba.
    • Do I put Greedo on my list simply because of a fuzzy vest hampering the last one? I'm on the fence.
    • Wedge Antilles - maybe the existing sculpt works, but I don't see it because it's covered up by the over-the-top eye and eyebrow paint. Still, that frown is a major bummer.
    • I don't really think I care enough about an Owen or Beru figure, despite the ones we have being pretty shabby. They're just not quite interesting enough for me to go "oh, I need that". But I could be wrong, this is one I'd need to see a really high-quality execution on, maybe as a set too.
    • Sandtrooper - there's something about the existing ones that doesn't get the job done. The pose is off, the weathering is off, and the armor isn't sculpted to the movie styling which we now are much clearer on after Sideshow's figure. The only one that comes close is the Saga Legends Fans Choice one using the Evo body and a new pauldron. But that's merely the orange-pauldron trooper, there are others.
    • Chewie with removable bandolier - I nearly forgot about this one. Chewie takes off his bandolier in the Falcon cockpit on Tatooine. It's minor, but I don't think Chewie's ever had a removable bandolier and that makes no sense, it's like he was living on Endor. Minor, but it's something I keep expecting them to do and keep being surprised by the absence of. I wouldn't campaign for it though.

That's it, 14 figures. No more aliens. No Han or Luke in their ceremony costumes from the end.

I'll try to address my other movies' lists in future posts.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

ANH:

Uncle Owen Lars
    Leia (the current ones are a bit outdated)
    Tarkin
    Bom Vimdin
    Reegesk
    Dr Evazan
    Wedge Antilles
    human informant (something like Garouef? too lazy to look it up)
    Myo
    Tommy, close your eyes.

OT

ANH Han Solo
    ANH Leia
    Boushh Leia-The last one had a great sculpt but I hate how she is Ewok sized. The TLC slave Leia is nice but the size still bugs me.
    C-3P0-I like the chrome and don't need articulation on him. I think the sculpt could be better but I guess this isn't a need so much as a want.
    R2-D2-with the saber in the dome. I know it's in the works but it sounded a long ways from confirmed.
    Tarkin-He is way overdue.
    Hoth Luke-Way overdue.
    Snowspeeder Luke-Love the new one but it has it's short commings. I'd like to re-enact when he lands on Dagobah.
    Stormtrooper Luke-Agreed. Needs to be shorter. I can't justify $8 for a simple headswap I already did before the figure was released.
    General Lando-SA sculpt.
    Wicket-Probably the most important Ewok.
    Nien Nunb-With vest as on the Falcon.
    Hammerhead
    Garrindon
    Ellors Modak-Or whatever the Duros from the cantina is called.
    The gold eyed alien that looks similar to Mommaw Naddon.
    Stormtrooper-The hips just seem awkward on the current version.
    Jabba the Hutt
    Boba Fett-Still in love with the VOTC version but I'd like the removable helmet from the Evolutions/TLC repack.

I'm not sure a red lensed Vader would be enough for me to pick up. What else could they work into it?

I'd also like a SA Hoth Chewy but that is only a repaint away.

PT

AOTC Anakin-with ankle articulation and a new head that doesn't look like a porceline doll. Otherwise I like the Evolution version.
    ROTS-New headsculpt and universal elbows instead of those swivel ones.
    Eeth Koth-This is one of the most striking Jedi to me. With the long flowing tunic, cloak and those shin guards. I wish it had todays SA. Agen Kolar isn't good enough. there is no substitute.
    Lama Su-Does he and the other Kominans deserve a update?
    Geonosian Warrior-SA single carded please.
    Padme-Tatooine. I really thought this look was attractive bit the figure was a statue.
    Padme-Lake. That sunset colored dress was gorgeous.
    Padme Naberrie-TPM
    Cody-Done correctly.
    Qui-Gon-The Evolutions version had a silly long neck and the face was awful. I also wonder why they didn't put in the Saga 2 saber since it's a better sculpt and has the removable blade. Pack him with a robe and the poncho.
    TPM Kenobi-again, the neck looks long and skinny as if it wouldn't support the head. I guess it's not necessary but whatever.
    Darth Maul-He needs the same elbows ROTS Anakin needs. No more swivel joints.

It would be nice to have the SA JAngo with blue flightsuit instead of that purplish color they keep sticking him with. But that's just a repaint.

I'm sure there is more but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.
    [FONT='Times New Roman'][/FONT]

Damn! There ya go. Forgot about Piett and a Naboo Pilot with trench coat.

Quote Originally Posted by RENDAR LIVES View Post
    ANH Leia
    Boushh Leia-The last one had a great sculpt but I hate how she is Ewok sized. The TLC slave Leia is nice but the size still bugs me.
    I read your comment and had to check. Carrie Fisher is said to be 5' 1", though I think that's in shoes as she's tiny in person (my sister is 5' 2", and comparing Carrie to how I remember my sister's height had a noticeable difference at CIV - my sis wasn't there for the compare ). I took that number and scaled down to 1:18 scale, measured the Boushh Leia figure sans helmet, then scaled the difference up. There's about 4mm difference in the figure's height from where it should be at 1:18 scale. Scaled up, that would be a difference of 2.8" between them. In my book, that's enough to make a notable difference on a 1:6 scale figure (it'd be about half an inch, pretty noticeable on that size body), but within an acceptable margin of error for a 1:18 scale figure. You are correct that she is a little smaller than she should be, but I think fans aren't aware just how short she really is, even compared to a shrimp like Luke. She wouldn't get significantly taller in perfect scale, just 0.15" taller than the existing figure.

Snowspeeder Luke-Love the new one but it has it's short commings. I'd like to re-enact when he lands on Dagobah.
    I thought about putting that one on my list, but couldn't find $7 of interest which is the obvious cutoff point for me. But there are a good number of differences, including the gloves, and now that I think about it, the flight suit somehow looks different enough on Dagobah to justify it. I think I'll add this to my list in my next post.

Ellors Modak-Or whatever the Duros from the cantina is called.
    There are 2 Duros in the cantina, Ellors Madak is the figure we got in POTJ. Baniss Keeg is the one we don't have yet, the one in red.

The gold eyed alien that looks similar to Mommaw Naddon.
    I have no idea which one you are referring. Is it another hammerhead, or something else? Cantina scene? What movie?

Stormtrooper-The hips just seem awkward on the current version.
    I think the hips are roughly movie-accurate, but they are thin. I was tempted to put a Stormie on my list, but I dig the TAC version enough to avoid it, I love that thing's helmet with its accurate lenses, the lack of the ball neck, and the sculpt and posability is a little better than the VOTC. That said, the holster sucks, and the hips could use A LITTLE tilt potential (not the crazy hip designs that are so ugly on some of the latest figures though). I may have to add that to my list, but I feel like it's looking a gift horse in the mouth. Most fans don't seem to like the TAC version though, so it's worth a shot.

Jabba the Hutt
    That one is coming later this year, so we'll see if it cuts the mustard. There are a number of those on my list already that I didn't post because I'm "wait and see" mode for them.

Boba Fett-Still in love with the VOTC version but I'd like the removable helmet from the Evolutions/TLC repack.
    They're doing the Evo/TLC version in ESB colors in the first wave of TVC, isn't that exactly what you're asking for? I thought about asking for the VOTC in ESB colors, I like the helmet and shoulders better, but it didn't feel essential enough to me to put it in my list.

I'm not sure a red lensed Vader would be enough for me to pick up. What else could they work into it?
    The helmet is a different shape altogether, it sits lower and has a different flare. The "face" has different proportions slightly. The vest is OVER the shoulder armor. The arms are slightly different in design. The belt sits at a different height. The legs are a slightly different design. It all adds up, when you look at pics of ANH Vader you can see a major difference from ESB and ROTJ Vader, who are much more similar to each other by comparison.

I'm not a huge fan of the "red lens" thing, it's actually seeing David Prowse behind the helmet and not intentional, but it stands out enough for fans that they expect it.

Lama Su-Does he and the other Kominans deserve a update?
    Up to you, I guess. The Taun We figure is painfully shorter than Lama Su though, and the level of sculpt quality doesn't match either. Neither would go on my list, but I actually would consider buying them if they were really good quality.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I read your comment and had to check. Carrie Fisher is said to be 5' 1", though I think that's in shoes as she's tiny in person (my sister is 5' 2", and comparing Carrie to how I remember my sister's height had a noticeable difference at CIV - my sis wasn't there for the compare ). I took that number and scaled down to 1:18 scale, measured the Boushh Leia figure sans helmet, then scaled the difference up. There's about 4mm difference in the figure's height from where it should be at 1:18 scale. Scaled up, that would be a difference of 2.8" between them. In my book, that's enough to make a notable difference on a 1:6 scale figure (it'd be about half an inch, pretty noticeable on that size body), but within an acceptable margin of error for a 1:18 scale figure. You are correct that she is a little smaller than she should be, but I think fans aren't aware just how short she really is, even compared to a shrimp like Luke. She wouldn't get significantly taller in perfect scale, just 0.15" taller than the existing figure.

I have no idea which one you are referring. Is it another hammerhead, or something else? Cantina scene? What movie?

That one is coming later this year, so we'll see if it cuts the mustard. There are a number of those on my list already that I didn't post because I'm "wait and see" mode for them.

They're doing the Evo/TLC version in ESB colors in the first wave of TVC, isn't that exactly what you're asking for? I thought about asking for the VOTC in ESB colors, I like the helmet and shoulders better, but it didn't feel essential enough to me to put it in my list.

The helmet is a different shape altogether, it sits lower and has a different flare. The "face" has different proportions slightly. The vest is OVER the shoulder armor. The arms are slightly different in design. The belt sits at a different height. The legs are a slightly different design. It all adds up, when you look at pics of ANH Vader you can see a major difference from ESB and ROTJ Vader, who are much more similar to each other by comparison.

I'm not a huge fan of the "red lens" thing, it's actually seeing David Prowse behind the helmet and not intentional, but it stands out enough for fans that they expect it.
    I expect her to be shorter than Luke but if you look at the movie she is distinctively taller than Artoo and Wicket. That's the problem. Maybe the droids and Ewoks should be slightly shorter then. Idk. It just bothers me.

The alien is in the cantina scene and you also see one on a viewscreen outside the nightclub in AOTC. I forget the name...Hem Dazon??? I forget the species name. He is brown with gold sparkly eyes and a wide head like Hammerhead.

Good to know. I didn't know about Jabba. That's why I left Zam, Hoth Leia, Dengar and Bespin Luke off my list. I knew they were comming out.

Huh? The Evo version and TLC versions with removable helmets are in ESB colors. Green gauntlets, brown cape, all green back pack. I want it in ROTJ colors with red gauntlets and green cape with yellow and red on the jetpack.

Doesn't he also have no chain or the placement of it is at the neck rather than clasped lower on the chest in the later movies? I see your points but with all the black the details don't really stand out. To me those differences are very small. I would like one with a saber hilt that isn't molded to his hip though, and it should face upwards instead of down.

Since my dwindling want list is ROTJ-centric, I will start there. I'm approaching this by asking myself "If the line had just been cancelled, which figures would I most regret never getting a chance to see made or remade?"

Figures in bold are my ultra-core list.

ROTJ:
    1. Kithaba
    2. Barada
    3. Gamorrean Guard
    4. Admiral Ackbar

5. Wicket
    6. Yak Face
    7. Biker Scout - go back to the drawing board and start again from scratch
    8. Darth Vader with removable helmet - just put a better cape on the Evolutions figure and he's perfect (the single piece removable helmet is still the best version)

ESB:
    0 - as far as I'm concerned, this movie is done when it comes to action figures that I can get excited about. I guess I could put Bespin Han, but he better be freakin' amazing.

ANH:
    1. Cantina Band Member - SA with all 5 instruments and a stool
    2. Grand Moff Tarkin
    3. Rebel Fleet Trooper - all new SA version
    4. R2-D2 - still waiting for the "perfect," non-gimmicky version
    5. C-3PO - SA, non-vac-metalized, non-gimmicky version

EU:
    1. Chukha-Trok

Prequels:
    1. Tarfull
    2. Wookiee Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by RENDAR LIVES View Post
    I expect her to be shorter than Luke but if you look at the movie she is distinctively taller than Artoo and Wicket. That's the problem. Maybe the droids and Ewoks should be slightly shorter then. Idk. It just bothers me.
    R2 stands 2.5" tall, that scales at 1.14m, which is indeed wrong, R2 should only be 0.96m tall. Scaled back down, that's a difference of 1cm on the figure, which is almost half an inch. Ironically, you know who's that tall? R2-D2. Clone Wars R2, that is.

Huh, I didn't realize R2 was too tall before. The BAD Astromech is right in between the 2 heights, so that's another reason the BAD is superior.

I am not going to measure the Ewoks, but they're getting smaller now, the old Wicket scale is way off.

The alien is in the cantina scene and you also see one on a viewscreen outside the nightclub in AOTC. I forget the name...Hem Dazon??? I forget the species name. He is brown with gold sparkly eyes and a wide head like Hammerhead.
    Oh, yeah, Hem Dazon he is, and he's an Arcona. We have that figure though, got him in 2006 in the TSC line. That's why I thought you meant something else.

Good to know. I didn't know about Jabba. That's why I left Zam, Hoth Leia, Dengar and Bespin Luke off my list. I knew they were comming out.
    I didn't know about Zam. That's why I left Hoth Leia and Bespin Luke off my lists too though.

Huh? The Evo version and TLC versions with removable helmets are in ESB colors. Green gauntlets, brown cape, all green back pack. I want it in ROTJ colors with red gauntlets and green cape with yellow and red on the jetpack.
    Right, you are correct, I mistook them for each other by accident.

Doesn't he also have no chain or the placement of it is at the neck rather than clasped lower on the chest in the later movies? I see your points but with all the black the details don't really stand out. To me those differences are very small. I would like one with a saber hilt that isn't molded to his hip though, and it should face upwards instead of down.
    Yes, you are correct about the cape chain being different (it's shorter, and half the movie it is stuck under the helmet). Hasbro never does the neck chain anymore unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Since my dwindling want list is ROTJ-centric, I will start there. I'm approaching this by asking myself "If the line had just been cancelled, which figures would I most regret never getting a chance to see made or remade?"
    Makes good sense.
    3. Gamorrean Guard
    They are doing a new one this next year, I believe.

7. Biker Scout - go back to the drawing board and start again from scratch
    Yes, totally agree!

ANH:
    1. Cantina Band Member - SA with all 5 instruments and a stool
    There are 6, possibly 7 band members actually. But I think 1 of them uses the same instrument as another.

3. Rebel Fleet Trooper - all new SA version
    Ack, how could I leave that off my list? That and Lt. Pello Scrambas, the old guy from the scene!

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Never. Using. Quick Reply. Again.
    Ooh, I've been there, that sucks! How much did you lose?

Han in Carbonite - The TSC version seemed more devoted to the figure than the Carbonite block, which is really missing the point. The block is the main feature, the figure is only an accessory to sell it. Anyways, I prefer the POTF2 version overall, especially since it was more fun due the interactivity with clipping Han behind it. This was somewhat pointless, though, due to the fact that you can't see him. Toss in the vintage head-to-toe (sans shins) translucency, give Han sculpted bent alternate arms (ala OTC Dagobah Luke) to line up right with the carbo-indent when he's clipped in, and voila, you have gold. Carbonite gold. Then just fill it in and give it lights for a battlepack!
    I'm not down with the translucency, completely removes the accuracy, but I do like the alternate arms idea, an alternate head to go with it. Ooh, now I'm greedy, translucent but for ROTJ, and opaque for ESB.

Snowtrooper Officer - Should be a fairly simple thing to do, just keep the odd coloring away from the helmet.
    Would need new helmet, new shoulders, new chest. I can get behind this, but it wouldn't be on my list, just not thrilling enough.

EU:
    Dash Rendar - This too was one of my favorite figures during the POTF2 stage, and the awesome costume and armor still make me quite fond of it. However, the time has certainly come for a new version, and it should be done ASAP.
    Leebo - It still amazes me that we had such a strong SotE influence at one point, and yet only Galoob gave him love.
    Snoova/Chewie in Disguise - Wookiee bounty hunter. The POTF2 version was somewhat goofy, but I'd like to see what Hasbro could do with it nowadays.
    Jerec (Dark Forces 2) - Even if we don't get the rest of the his Dark Jedi minions, the presence of a decent Kyle Katarn demands a figure of Jerec to be brought into being.
    Jetpeck Clone (Battlefront - the first one) - Considering all of the influence that Battlefront has already given Hasbro, it seems as though this very simple figure should be high on their list.
    Rebel Sniper (Battlefront) - Same as the Jetpack Clone with the influence, but obviously this is a more complex sculpt whether they go with urban/Endor style, or cold weather/Hoth style. It'd be awesome to see this made to add some female diversity to the various Rebel battalions.
    Dang, that whole list is awesome!

ANH additions:

• Dewback from ANH - yes, I know we just got a Dewback, but it doesn't look like either the ANH or ANH:SE version, it doesn't have a movable tail or mouth, the midsection is too wide for a sandtrooper to use for riding without looking totally ridiculous. Figures shouldn't have to do the splits to ride this beastie.
    • I'm on the fence about a new Bantha. I like the POTF2 version fine, but when they came back to it in '06, the new hair ruined that toy, brought out all its flaws like mobility and saddle. I dunno.

ESB:

• Luke Hoth - I didn't think this needed doing until someone suggested it in the Q&A, and yeah, the existing figure is cool but does need more variety, and the gimmick pose arm is the WRONG ARM!!! Being able to ride a tauntaun would be good too.
    • Luke Echo Base Medical - another fig that Q&A suggested which I never thought of, but this is the last time Luke interacts with Han in a meaningful way before he becomes a Jedi. Luke's cut scene mask would make a nice addition. This isn't one I absolutely need though, if it never gets done, no big.
    • Luke Dagobah - I almost don't see the point after the last one, but it can't do as much as the movie does, and the head is a little wonky. Also, I'd like a removable jacket and gunbelt for when he goes to fight Vader. If they never do this figure though, I won't be too bummed, so like the last, it almost doesn't need to be on the list.
    • 2-1B - why the hell do I have to put this on my list still, why isn't it done already? The POTF2 fig was great for its day, but compared to modern styling, it falls way short. The ROTS version doesn't represent this movie's version at all and has its own flaws.
    • Tauntaun - this kinda speaks for itself. Rideable, poseable, interchangeable busted horn so it can be Luke or Han's, cut-guts, and I'm good. I'm not happy with the existing ones, they're ok but lacking where it counts.
    • Leia Bespin Escape - I love the POTJ figure, first of the proper scale, proper sculpt, proper gun figures, but it can't be posed for crap outside its 1 action pose.
    • Han Bespin - speaks for itself. Not based on the VOTC in any way. Hey, let's have it come with a mynock! Yeah, and a gold brick.
    • Han Carbonite - this could also go in ROTJ, but there isn't a slam-dunk version of Han Carbonite out there, the TSC version is too short and doesn't have the pre-frozen figure's likeness at all (or the post-frozen version, but that's for the ROTJ list ).
    • C-3PO - um, pretty much the same statement as the ANH since I addressed his ESB needs there. Better removable parts here, no chrome maybe.
    • Vader ESB - with cut shoulder! No chiffon! When Vader strides through Echo Base, he looks so badarse, and yet no Vader figure we have today looks as menacing. This is Vader's film, and between the chiffon and the hip poses, it never comes together in action figure form. Ball-hinge hips I guess would be good.
    • Captain Piett - this guy deserves better, he's the main Imperial and his figure from back in the day is pretty weak all around.
    • Bossk - no, just kidding, not Bossk. :-P
    • Lando in modern styling - with removable cloak. It's not a major need, but there have been better avenues of design to make Lando from since the VOTC figure.
    • I almost want to say another new Snowtrooper. I like some of what we have already, but this pink helmet situation sucks, and the cloth skirt looks odd. But if they re-released the existing figure without the pink coloring on the helmet again, I'd probably just buy that so it's not really on my list.

So, about the same number. I was expecting less, but I do feel this way so I guess so.