Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would You Buy A Republic Star Destroyer From ROTS?

I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case A Republic Star Destroyer From ROTS - also from Clone Wars, as is now the case).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy A Republic Star Destroyer From ROTS (and Clone Wars)?

I envision this vehicle would be one of the most expensive toys Hasbro ever produces (other than maybe a complete (scaled down) Death Star, with the Republic Star Destroyer costing collectors at least $200 or more. Those of you who buy SideShow or Hot Toys figures, don't balk just yet. PRICE might not be your concern if this could actually happen.

I am all for capital ship playsets looking like the capital ships on their outside. This is the way I designed my custom Tantive IV, and why the old Kenner Star Destroyer bridge playset never inspired me (I bought the vintage as an adult visiting a toy dealer's, but convinced the owner to take my return for a full refund as I gravely disliked this set).

Now size is another matter. Remember the GI Joe U.S.S. Flag aircraft carrier toy made in the 80's? OK, well the Republic Star Destroyer needs to be at least 6 feet or more long. This vehicle will be very similar in design to what LEGO has recently released, and open up for an entirely off-scale play environment.

At the top of each neck, in the command towers, will be twin bridges, with space for double-decks so the clones or officers can man the crew pits. A Jedi and Admiral Yularen, or Vader, Palpatine, and Tarkin can walk the command walk above them and up to the front windows.

The necks will have to be inaccessable here. Unlike the Imperial Star Destroyer design I proposed, I wouldn't spend on twin elevators here.

Inside the main hull should be room for a Jedi Starfighter and a V-wing to dock. This Destroyer launches its ships from the large red hatchway on its dorsal side, so the ship could sit flat on the floor and be a great play environment, as authentic as it needs to be. Removing the fighters, perhaps a lone Y-wing bomber could dock aboard the Republic Star Destroyer for use with Clone Wars figures. Forget a Republic Gunship - it's too big.

A vehicle maintainance energizer (think back to the vintage accessory sets) should be included.

Behind the docking bay on one side should be the prisoner brig. There should be a cell block (like Leia's on the Death Star) with one prisoner cell, an escape hatch for play, a command station (like the one Luke and Han took over where they had "a slight weapons malfunction"). For Clone Wars play, you could re-create Asajj Ventress springing prisoner Nute Gunray with the help of the traitor Captain Argyus of the Republic Senate Guards during her fight with Ahsoka and Luminara Undulli.

On the other side, an escape pod that holds 2-4 figures might be able to launch.

Along the side decks (upper walkways going towards the front of the ship) will be gunner stations where Turbo Tank Gunner figures man 3-4 double-barreled turbolasers on either side of the ship. They'll launch missiles (2 each) for 12-16 firing missiles for the kids (and myself) to play with.

The ship may or may not include electronic sounds and lights. A holographic tactical table and or holograms of Palpatine, Yoda, and Mace would be cool!

The market for this toy could be both high-end Star Wars collectors (who also happen to want to dedicate a 6 foot space for this in their house) and kids with very generous family, all who would buy a lot of Clone Troopers.

Do you want this made?

Would you spend $200 for something like this? More?

Are you seriously capable of it, or just talking?

Do you already buy SideShow, Medicom, Attikus, or Hot Toys products that approach or exceede this price range. (It was $400 for SideShow's Jabba, throne, and Bubo and Salacious creature packs - now more if you add the alcove with Han Solo in carbonite). If you own these items, are you OK with the price of the Republic Star Destroyer as I'm suggesting?

How big of problem is having the space to own this ship? Why is it a problem? Is the space-for-it-issue at all because of WHICH SHIP I'm discussing? (In other words, would you buy a different ship from Star Wars that's this size and around this price instead? Which one?)

What other features would you want on a Republic Star Destroyer that I have not described?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Do you think Hasbro (or even a different company like SideShow) could make this and start out by taking pre-orders with non-refundable deposits on the ship, say for like $50 to $100? Then either go into production, beyond the prototype, or refund the deposits if the ship needs to be cancelled?

This vehicle is seen nearly every week in Clone Wars. Will this help it sell?

Other ROTS ships we polled for here (in the Legacy section) yeilded the following results:

NO - Droid Gunship (this is being made and will be released in the summer anyway)
    NO - Wookiee Catamaran
    NO - Padme's starskiff (a mini-rig that seats one - Anakin) has been made. The poll was for a 2-4 seater)
    YES - Palpatine's shuttle
    NO - Anakin's airspeeder
    NO - The Invisible Hand, Separatist Assault Cruiser
    ??? - Republic Star Destroyer (the Resolute for example)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I would for sure buy this ship. But I would expect it to be the largest in my collection. And I think that $200 for this would be exceptable.
    Yes, as I said, I am an assassin droid. It is my primary function to burn holes through meatbags that you wish removed from the galaxy…

I can't entirely say "no," but I'm leaning no. I'd much rather have the standard Imperial-class Star Destroyer, or even the Victory-class Star Destroyer, first.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

1 million times YES !!!!! perhaps my most favorite designed ship out of the prequel trilogy.... I would easily drop $300 on it if was worth the price.....

this would also set Hasbro up nice for future releases of The Victory, Imperial, and Super Star Destroyers.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

No. Look at the LEGO version, it's really squat, chibi even. Not worth the time.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

yes, I'd buy it. but i want the various imperial models first.

No. IF I was going to dedicate the space and money to a $200-300 toy, it would be on an OT vehicle.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Also a no for me. Like everyone says if I was going to devote the money and space it'd be an Imperial Star destroyer or Tantive IV - I would find those next to impossible to pass on. What you describe sounds incredible though.

I just don't think we'll ever get a 6ft long vehicle and thats to say nothing of the height and width dimensions.

Nope. I will never buy a capital ship. Ever.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I don't see it happening in that size without being so absurdly undersized toylike.

No problem with a Collector Fleet or Action Fleet version (no figures) though.