Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Blackberry or Droid or iPhone?

Verizon is perstering me that I can get a new phone again.

I can probably get a Blackberry or Droid (after discounts and rebates) for only $50.

There's nothing wrong with my old-school LG flip phone and I'm not really looking for a new phone.

I hate text messaging, especially getting into "conversations" via texting. I can multi-task with quick phone calls and I don't even have to look at a keypad. Having all the keys instead of having to triple-hit some letters on my LG might be a little more convenient, but I simply don't like to devote all my attention to typing unless the circumstance warrants it - like passing an address or a note at a time when a phone call is inappropriate.

I know - girls I may like are text-fiends. I need to adapt my game a little. Perhaps write down good flirt-lines for texts (so sad that's what it's coming to). I try to "train ladies" - and friends even - to check their voicemail. I don't want to text you!

As for Facebook? (or even MySpace) Maybe I'd be more inclined to do mobile updates if I had a larger screen to view aps on. But then I don't reallly want anything bigger than my tiny flip-phone to carry around with me. I guess slim would be a good attribute. I might post pics or video then.

SSG? I might get online here via mobile. But since I can already browse the web on my flip phone, and I mostly post in forums here, I like to do so from my desk with my large natural keyboard I type 100 wpm on which I connect to my laptop with a USB cable (I've barely ever used the built-in keyboard on my laptop even).

So I may or may not get a Blackberry or a Droid. Which do you think is better and why?

BTW - they've offered me this deal for over a year now actually - so it's not like I won't have the chance later.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I've never played with a blackberry, but I got a motorola droid (not the Eris)about a month ago and absolutely love it. I'd never surfed on my phone, or texted either until I got it. Now it doesn't leave my side. I opted for the Droid over the blackberry for the touchscreen. I think the screen is a little bigger on the droid as well. Both have regular keyboards (the droid has a touch one as well.) Plus, I've never heard a bad thing about the Droid or it's google based operating system. It still hasn't crashed. The only con is, with a lot of use you can burn through a battery pretty quickly. I recharge nightly now as opposed to every 3-4 days with my old Razor. I guess that's to be expected though. On days I don't use it much, the battery level only goes down 10% or so. I think you'll be happy with either one, but I highly recommend the droid.

Personally, I would go with the Droid. I have had limited usage with a Blackberry and do not care for the operations system.

My neighbor got a Droid the other day and it is fantastic and easy to use.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I also remembered an appointment calendar would be handy on my portable device.

And I do not like it when your phone bumps in the pocket and dials the last person who texted or phoned you.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I don't know much about either, and don't care, since I'd limit my internet overuse to the home computer anyway to avoid spending way too much time on it (as opposed to the mere "too much time" now), but how can you, one of the most compulsive Star Wars collectors on Earth, pick a phone named after a Strawberry Shortcake character over one named after Artoo-Detoo?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I also remembered an appointment calendar would be handy on my portable device.

And I do not like it when your phone bumps in the pocket and dials the last person who texted or phoned you.
    For the calendar, both have it but blackberry's is probably better. I use mine a lot but it's kind of a pain typing everything in. There's probably some way to sync it to my work calendar, but that would involve me actually reading instructions.

As far as the butt dialing goes, as long as you hit the lock button before putting it away (which doesn't take long to get in the habit of doing) you're fine.

Tycho, IIRC, you don't have a data plan on your account, either phone would require an additional data plan charge. At this rate, you will be outspending a similar account with another carrier by double. Make sure whichever phone you get won't cost you more.

Blackberry is the country's most popular phone, it's proven and has years of support behind it, as well as apps designed for it. It also has dedicated physical, tactile device input (aka real keys) which, for someone who hasn't kept pace with phones and tech lately, is a big plus. It's less fragile than the Droid too, because it's not all screen, and the BB's screen is hidden behind a plastic window which is nice. It's got a business-oriented theme so if you want to send emails or do calendar stuff, it's centered around that. The touchscreen BB is garbage, stay away from it, laggy and gimmicky. The drawbacks are it's meant to be left on all the time as it's slow to boot up; the Micro SD card for photos is behind the battery so it can't be removed easily; the buttons take a little getting used to.

The Droid is part of a burgeoning Google Android smartphone operating system market, so it's still finding its place. It's all screen, but also has a slide-out keyboard (though reviews say the keyboard is too flat to make it usable). It doesn't support bluetooth voice dialing which is one of the key things I do with my headset. The Droid also uses the OS for its phone functions, which is going to be VERY confusing for you since you're a few generations back in phone use (this is not meant as an insult, just recognizing what will work best for you). It also has pretty small internal storage and no way to store apps on the SD card. Positives include a decent 5 megapixel camera with camcorder function; it's got a good touchscreen which can be attractive to girls IF you learn to use it in exciting ways; good battery life; good call quality; and it is licensed from Lucasfilm for using the "Droid" name.

I suggest you don't make any decisions until you find out about what it'll cost you in plan fees (data, gps, I think Verizon might require a blackberry fee too but I'm not sure). Also, research the phones you are interested in on CNET: http://www.cnet.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    As far as the butt dialing goes, as long as you hit the lock button before putting it away (which doesn't take long to get in the habit of doing) you're fine.
    If you have the case (my step-dad's BB came with one) then it locks the phone when you put it in.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Tycho, IIRC, you don't have a data plan on your account, either phone would require an additional data plan charge. At this rate, you will be outspending a similar account with another carrier by double. Make sure whichever phone you get won't cost you more.
    Good call JT, I had the same thought as well when I read the initial post in this thread. That data plan is a nice extra 'hidden' cost that most don't think about when getting one of those types of phones.

Tycho, as far as "what would JJB do" if you don't truly need those extra features (which you more of less said above) I personally wouldn't get a new phone, instead keep rocking what you are already rocking.

A number of years ago I upgraded to a flip phone and needed to get a data/text package for 6 months inorder to get the phone at a given price. After those 6 months I found myself hooked and didn't give up that extra charge. This continued for a couple of years and another phone or two until about 18 months ago I upgraded to an Instict (Sprint). With that I have increased web usage, gps and all sorts of other great stuff. The thing is I don't truly need that stuff. While I like the ability to check my email on my phone or check the weather before going out for a run etc none of that stuff is really needed. If I'd get a 'lower' phone I could dump that extra charge and save a nice chunk of change.

However as I said above I've become hooked on those extra features and I can't really see myself giving those up. So whenever somebody I know talks about upgrading to a blackberry or whatever I say DON'T since you more then likely don't need those extra services (although they are nice!).

Tycho does need a new phone. He wants to do texting, but doesn't have the feel of T9 so he needs a keyboard. Also, his phone is not that new and its battery doesn't last long anymore.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.