Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    depends on the display that they are in at time... if it is in a display for the Emperor's arrival in Jed then they are holding the blasters in their right hands with the left holding the barrel

if it's a action pose ie battle on the Tantive or Endor then it varies for the pose, i have both 2 handed and one handed poses so it varies left or right
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yesterday, mine decided war wasn't the answer, so they all now hold daisies.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

[FONT=Courier New]When mine are set up and displayed, they're right handed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Even with my Clones (which could have genetic drift variances) I mix my troops' left and right hands depending upon how I'm posing them for a scene.

I care more about whether you see their front or back, depending upon which side of the field they are playing from and how I want the scene to look.

Then most of my troops are assigned being left or right handed accordingly.

I thought about being consistent with the clones at least, but then I decided to display troops in favor of the overall diorama's results.

For my troop lineup (I did the Clone ranks at the end of E2 and in the lab on Kamino since everyone else seems to do the Emperor's Arrival from ROTJ) I had them all be right handed though. I figure that uniformity is necessary for military parade formation.

Anyone in the real military out there? How does your unit handle left-handers?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Left handed all of the way.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Space Outlaw View Post
    I wonder how much of what we see in the movie in this regard is meant to be, and how much is due to the film being "flipped" during editing...
    None of it is from flopped scenes, you can tell because the holster is on a specific side and the stomach panel on the armor is asymmetrical. For the shots of Luke, his hair part is off to the side, so that's the clue on that.

As for bent guns, I would suggest Marauder Gun-Runners; they offer an excellent "modified Sterling SMG" that's made from good, solid plastic and even has a hinged folding stock. I have just one right now (buying more soon) and that sucker will NOT bend. They're relatively inexpensive and MGR offers them by the dozen, so it's great for equipping your army of choice.
    The problem I fear is the hands on the Troopers are very strong plastic and without give they would probably snap those gun barrels off.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    The hand is still a major improvement from the vintage one, which, like most vintage figures, could only hold a weapon in the right hand.
    Wow, it's an improvement over a figure designed 33 years ago? I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    The whole left handed thing is because the trooper gun was based on the Sterling L2A3 sub-machine gun. The "clip" was on the left side of the gun, So when troopers would hold it with thier right hands "trigger finger" the "clip" would hit against the troopers chestplate and limit movement.
    Good call, that makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    I'd forgotten how much the clip sticks out on that gun. It was better to use the real gun left handed, but for the movies, the "clip" didn't stick out very far, so I don't think it matters which hand they used.
    The clip on the E-11 is truncated from the Sterling, but still sticks out a notable amount, as in these photos:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:E-11_btm.jpg
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Leia_SWSB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I'm a mix of both, depending on how I want to arrange the figures in the scene. Pretty much all of my clones are right-handed, as the hands are sculpted that way, aside from those ones from the deluxe sets where the guns are molded to the left hands. Given the photos, I might go through and switch more of the stormtroopers to lefties. That's interesting.
    The clone hands are more ambidextrous and forgiving in design, but you're right, they seem to pose naturally a right-handed pose, I think I have all of mine that way. And if you look at the DC-15 blaster, the clip is on the opposite side of the Stormtrooper E-11. I just checked, all of my clones are righties.

I have also started switching more of my Stormies to lefties, although I've found that the left-handed design of the Hasbro figure is great for firing poses but not as good for standing or parade poses (the left hand holds the gun slightly outwards from the forearm), so for standing poses I'm mostly keeping righties.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    depends on the display that they are in at time... if it is in a display for the Emperor's arrival in Jed then they are holding the blasters in their right hands with the left holding the barrel
    Do you actually have them hold the barrel, or just have the hand near the barrel? I only have 1 figure now holding the barrel with the left, and that gun is the one I mentioned in the opener, it's S-shaped from being bent by the hand pose. Do you have the same problem if so?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I have my troopers hold the barrel two handed. I have noticed the bending gun on a few but not all. Figured this was more akin to the battle droid legs.

I am a righty so most of my figures are too but I am consious that not everyone is so I mix it up for realizm.

Mark Hamil stated in a SWI interview not too long ago that he is indeed left handed. So your observations make sense. Gun manufacturers weren't very lefty friendly back in those days so most holsters are built for right handed folks wich would explaine why Luke wears it on his rightt thigh. The fire arm the troopers use has the magazine on the left side so their holsters were put on the left. Probably made just for the movie since nobody holsters a sub machine gun. Thats a sure way to tell wich scenes may have been reversed.
    [FONT='Times New Roman'][/FONT]

Hamill is a southpaw? That's surprising given the way he holds a lightsaber in the films!

You know what's really weird about the E-11 holster? It's on the left side of the trooper armor, but the gun is in there with the clip facing inwards and the grip facing forwards. I can't imagine what that is about, considering the clip I guess they made these for the stormtrooper armor, the Sterling wouldn't work in a holster otherwise, as you pointed out.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Having taken out more Stormies lately, I've made them all lefties, even the ones holding the blaster slack in 1 hand.

If these were real guns they were firing, they would not want to hold them this way as that's where the ejection port is. Imagine firing your gun and a searing hot shell comes blasting back at your chest. Or even better, apparently the Sterling was known for ejecting wildly, so you think you'll be safe in your white plastic armor, but one of the shells goes flying upwards and gets caught inside your helmet and is melting your face off. I guess that's why they have those body socks.

That's actually because they're holding the gun wrong. In the real world, the British design meant for the gun to be held by the grip in the right hand, and by the magazine well in the left. The Stormtroopers, however, held it by the barrel, which would be a bad idea in the real world since you'd burn your hand by doing that. Of course, the Star Wars version has a housing over the barrel, so we can assume that's the Imperial answer for a heat shield.

I assume they weren't instructed to hold it by the magazine because they would have looked silly, or because the armorers thought the magazine would jam, but I'm going to go with the former reason.

Here's some good vids on the Sterling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzX6_BniuA (shows how to properly hold it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or0LxVDxB_c (informative)
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"