Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TFU Kota's Militia Elite figure

I got my hands on one of these before the TFU 5-pack comes out, and here are my thoughts on it.

First, a little backstory for the uninitiated: Jedi Knight Rahm Kota (he's the older armored Jedi from the first wave of TFU figures) didn't trust the clone troopers during the CIS war, so he brought a militia together to do the fighting, and when Order 66 came down, he survived because of it. A few years later, he used his militia against the Empire, and took down a hard target in order to draw out the Emperor's chief enforcer, Darth Vader. Among his militia is this character. The Militia Elite is the most powerful of Kota's pre-Rebel troopers in the first, and arguably best level of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. The character doesn't appear until around halfway into the level, and gets his own little cut-scene for the introduction of this pain-in-the-*** guy. He's mainly difficult because he sports a chaingun which unloads a mountain of fire before your character is powered up enough to deal with that mess. He also has more life force and up close will use his chaingun as a club to fairly effective results.

The figure itself is quite good. Nearly super-articulated, the only real differences are a lack of ankle articulation, and a standard waist joint rather than a newer design. The joints are quite well hidden, especially the knees where you can only tell they're a joint by a small patch of unpainted hinge in the back. Shoulder armor pads are pegged into the upper arm so when the shoulder joint is used they end up over the torso piece rather than blocking anything, but being separate parts means the chances for getting lost are greater. The hip joints are somewhat hindered by the plastic skirt after about 45 degrees, so it may take work to get him sitting in a vehicle. The ball-jointed head is one of the better uses, decent range but stays realistically low, and the head doesn't look worse for it.

Sculpting is really good, pretty much perfect really. The head under the helmet looks serious without being generic, and sports a crew cut. The body is all outfit, has armor plates over cloth and it works pretty well. The skirt is rubbery plastic and an odd design with a long patch over the right hip that is taken from the original character design. There's good detail everywhere without being flashy, just right, and the figure is given all the other asymmetrical touches of the original. It would fit pretty well with Rebel troops, but looks different enough to not get too lost, which is just right. Too bad this figure can't be easily army-built. The figure stands roughly the same height as a stormtrooper figure.

The deco on mine is quite good, the ribbed chest armor has a dark paint wash front and back. All the straps, the forearm metal armor, various touches, all very clean. The colorscheme is pretty military, olive drab and grays. The game character's armor touches are more white than gray though.

Accessories start with the communications backpack that plugs into a hole in his back; it's gray with silver painted details. It fits well and looks smart, not too bulky and not too advanced, it has an OT feel to it. The antenna is rubbery enough that it won't snap off easily, but it has a curve to it because of that. Next is his helmet, the militia helmets are smaller precursors to the Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet design with a closer fit; this accessory has a chin strap and visor. The helmet is cast in translucent orange plastic and has black and silver paint on the chin strap, and gray over the helmet which matches well to the armor, and then orange detail paint over that. The helmet gives this figure a lot of character, it looks really good on and fits well without being snug, but when removed the massive amount of orange plastic showing is unattractive (same problem as any Rebel pilot helmet, only the shape here seems to accent it more).

Then there's the gun, and this is where they dropped the ball. In the game, this character uses an under-hand chaingun weapon which has only a little business behind the barrels. Unfortunately, they decided to reuse the chaingun from the Battlefront II Clone Commander figure, and that has a lot of business behind the barrels, and worse, the handle is specifically designed to be held OVER the shoulder. And it's about TWICE as big as it should be there, as well as here! The handle pointed that way means the figure holding it under-hand would have it pointing down to the ground, were his elbow not completely in the way of holding it. I would like to use the Clone Wars Z-6 since I now have way too many of those, but it's not only also oversized but completely the wrong handle layout. So I stick with what he has, and I just turn his hand completely upside-down which actually works ok, you can't really see his hand from the outer side since he has forearm armor weapons, but if you look from his left it's pretty ugly. The oversized nature of the gun coupled with the lack of ankle articulation makes it a little difficult to keep him standing with it.

Overall, I like this figure, it's a cool Star Wars figure and a good choice for a TFU figure. It's also a well-done figure on its own merits. The only real drawbacks are the wrong weapon, and lack of ankle articulation. As for the shoulderpads, they should probably be glued down, otherwise they could get lost, but the choice to make them separate was the right one. All in all, a very cool figure.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks for the great review but how about a photo or two next time?

awesome review JT can't wait to get these 5 packs... kinda bummed that collectors may have to get multiple packs in order to army build or resort to e-scalp. oh well
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Thanks for the great review but how about a photo or two next time?
    Sure. Fifty bucks. Normally I wouldn't bother, but since it's not out yet, I guess so. Don't expect masterpieces, this is off-the-cuff:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index....articleid=2732

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    awesome review JT can't wait to get these 5 packs... kinda bummed that collectors may have to get multiple packs in order to army build or resort to e-scalp. oh well
    Sadly true, but at least the packs have multiple army builders in each, so when you're building your army of Militia Elites you also have a semi-cloaked Shadow Trooper and a cow-esque Evo Trooper, plus Juno Eclipse is an ok imperial female. Here's the breakdowns of both sets:
    http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...urn_128933.asp

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

All four of my Imperial Troopers will be available for trades. I have no interest in these funky troopers.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I really like the Shadow Troopers, the clear and the dark ones. Its really a different variation. I'm guessing that they are like a Predator type of thing that can turn invisible? I've never played the game, haven't been into video games for years. But I'm really liking the figures.

Yes, they go totally invisible. When they're visible, they're totally opaque with that dark gray look, and under most of the standard seams (such as where the chest meets the stomach panel) there's a blue glow. From the test shots of those 2 shown, it looks like Hasbro missed the lights under the shoulder armor. I would have probably bought 2 of each single-carded, but they're not so common in the game that I feel like I need to buy 4 of these sets to get them.

TRU.com has both sets in stock and since they're buy one get one half off, they won't last! Will post this in other threads....
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Knowing the chances of me finding these sets in a store during the buy-one-get-one 50% off sale are slim to none, I just ordered mine online. Get them while you can!

I picked both sets up tonight at TRU, last day for the BOGO50.

The Militia Elite in the set is packed with his hand upside-down, but the tray holds the gun OVER the hand and above it! This warps his right forearm guard/weapon.

The boxed figure's gun has painted metallic gray on the barrel and several spots on the housing, this is different from the early sample I got which had no paint on the gun at all. The paint here is good, they left the barrel openings unpainted.

The right shoulder pad popped right off, I predict these to be THE lost accessory of 2010.

Oddly, the tray holds the helmet a little far back, so it's up over his eyes, and has stretched out the chinstrap a little, and between that and the excess mold-release oil on the neck peg, his head wouldn't look straight - I wiped off the oil, and now it's not a prob.

The backpack's antenna is bent the same way as the early sample I got, this must be intentional.