Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looks like the new waves are getting out there. I haven't seen anything but the speeder bike locally.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

ASM Zine got word that they're doing an all-new astro droid with even more accuracy regarding panels and so on. Should be cool.

Han's Hideout got confirmation of a Senate Duel Darth Sidious in the ROTS wave, holy hot nuts!!! They say four ROTS figures will be upgrades to current characters, three will be straight repacks, and there will also be an ANH figure alongside this wave. We already know about Sidious, Grievous, and Anakin with ball-joint elbows (unless it got bumped), so I wonder what the other will be. Still, I'm pretty ecstatic about finally getting this Sidious.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Sorry for the negative tone in my posts. I'm just unbelievably frustrated at the thisses and thats of trying to keep the line alive as evidenced in today's answers.
    I kind of get the sense that the Star Wars boat is taking on water fast and Hasbro is doing everything they can to keep it afloat. It doesn't help that some fans are acting like Hasbro is deliberately trying to kill the line or has some kind of personal vendetta out against them and their incomplete dioramas (which isn't that big of a problem on this site, but is almost epidemic on certain other fansites).

Personally, I think Hasbro went too far into obscurity with Legacy last year. Jumping over figures that fans had been requesting for years (like Bom Vimdim, updated Dr. Evazan, Wooof, etc.) right to the figures that even the most diehard collectors had trouble getting excited about (Leesub Sirlin, Pons Limbic, Giran, etc.). Hopefully, they can correct that this year with more "mainstream" figures like Ackbar and the Gamorrean Guard, but it would have been better if 2009 had been more balanced and we might have avoided this entire situation.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Currently the only three figures I consider absolute must haves before the line dies are:

Hoth Leia (getting soon ^_^)
    R2 with pop up lightsaber (Sounds like he may be made some time in the near future)
    and Wicket (So far no mention).

Anything else I plan to buy only if I realy like it when I see it in the store.

Anyway, going off what I just said, I have zero problem with core characters being the focus of TVC line, as I'v been passing on TONS of the back ground characters in recent years due to lack of interest and lack of space. I look at what's sitting on the shelf at my local wal mart and target and it's almost ALL back ground characters. The same ones week after week. Focusing on core characters will be a huge help to the line I think, especialy since at this point all I'm looking for are definitive visions of the main characters and the rare figure that interest me for no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    ... at this point all I'm looking for are definitive visions of the main characters and the rare figure that interest me for no real reason.
    Along those lines...
    I don't normally collect Stormtroopers of any kind, but I just bought a concept Snowtrooper just because I thought he looked really sweet.

With the OTC in 2004, it was mostly a repack year. The first part of the year saw several new figures and resculpts with the end of the Saga Line. Then there were repacks in the Saga Hall of Fame bunch of figures. The OTC line only had 7 new figures (9 if you count Wedge and Holo Emperor). From what we've seen or heard about so far, we'll be doing better than that. With the ESB wave, there are a lot of redos, but most are figures that people have been wanting to see upgrades of. Plus, a lot of people have expressed excitement over the vintage style cards, so you might get a lot of people collecting them for that just to keep carded.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Ugh... It's going to be fun getting the Darktrooper, I'm sure.
    Yeah, "fun".

I don't understand their dilemma with the Vintage-style bubbles and the scanning crew trooper. The trooper is pretty thin, I think they could get away with a slightly extended bubble to fit the scanning box behind him. Back during the ye olde Kenner days they made a larger bubble to fit Amanaman, so it has precedent. Of course they also have those battle packs that seem large enough to fit in that scanning box...
    The bubbles have to be a specific depth to get them stacked into their generic cases. No way there's enough room for a figure with the box behind him, you may as well be stacking 3 figures into 1 coffin blister. A better way to do this would be to have the figure higher and the accessory below the figure near the bottom of the card. They also have a lot of empty space in the middle, but that might upset the visual impact they're going for. I'd rather have the box than no figure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    ASM Zine got word that they're doing an all-new astro droid with even more accuracy regarding panels and so on. Should be cool.
    Yeah, that's great news, I'm thrilled. I'm a little surprised that they act like this is a new idea though, the Ep 1 figure is fantastic in the dome because the panels aren't indented and that is 11 years old. I hope they don't sculpt such thick lines for the body panels too, the VOTC body looks alright with a dirty deco, but clean it highlights how thick those lines are. And they need to make it shorter and have the hip spacers. Hopefully they'll hit it out of the park finally.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I kind of get the sense that the Star Wars boat is taking on water fast and Hasbro is doing everything they can to keep it afloat. It doesn't help that some fans are acting like Hasbro is deliberately trying to kill the line or has some kind of personal vendetta out against them and their incomplete dioramas (which isn't that big of a problem on this site, but is almost epidemic on certain other fansites).
    Yes, it does feel like SW is sinking and Hasbro is clutching at air to save it. I appreciate them going to great efforts to save it, but without entertainment support I too fear it's going to die in the next 2 years. Your post in the other thread suggested you feel it's more like 1 year, which I think HOPEFULLY is too much, but you could be right too.

I don't get any fan who thinks Hasbro isn't doing everything in their power to try to keep the line going. That is just short-sighted and selfish, and I'm glad you pointed it out that way.

Personally, I think Hasbro went too far into obscurity with Legacy last year. Jumping over figures that fans had been requesting for years (like Bom Vimdim, updated Dr. Evazan, Wooof, etc.) right to the figures that even the most diehard collectors had trouble getting excited about (Leesub Sirlin, Pons Limbic, Giran, etc.). Hopefully, they can correct that this year with more "mainstream" figures like Ackbar and the Gamorrean Guard, but it would have been better if 2009 had been more balanced and we might have avoided this entire situation.
    I do agree that Leesub was a really poor call, and Brainiac wasn't the most outstanding choice in a wave with 2 other Mos Eisley snores. But IMO, those risks would have been acceptable if Hasbro hadn't screwed up the pacing of the last 2 years. It's the momentum they lost from TAC falling asleep at the end of '07 and Indiana Jones taking its place for so long only to then have Star Wars wake up, barf up 2 waves, a wave of repaints, and fall back asleep until 2009. That is just too much momentum to lose, and here they are doing it again. The only new movie figures in 2009 were the Yarna wave, and stores were flooded with it and the live-action Clone Wars 1 wave for 4 more months, only to end the year with the "who cares" wave of ROTS figures with the Organa couple. Hell, even Breha Organa wouldn't have been TOO bad a choice if they had released it around the same time as one could find exciting figures on the pegs too, but no, everything was this themed wave plan that got too specific and too snorey and too slow.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Another incrementally improved astromech mold doesn't really fill me with joy, not sure I'll notice the changes. Probably for the best because I'd hate to find myself thinking that all the astromechs I've bought up to now are suddenly obsolete. My main beefs have always been the chrome dome they kept giving R2-D2 for no reason whatsoever and also the annoying backwards middle leg on the G9 mold. I've been happy with the astromechs otherwise...whether a panel should be recessed or level with the surrounding surface I can't say I ever noticed that kind of thing.

It bugs me to no end, I notice every little change on astromechs figures. The Ep 1 figure has one of the best domes, they used paint and chrome and then a topcoat layer - that topcoat scatters the light from the chrome, giving a much better sense of scale. Unfortunately, many collectors like the regular obvious chrome for nostalgia, and kiddies like it 'cause it's shiny.

I've not noticed the backwards foot on R4-G9 molds though. In fact, I've got my R4-G9 right here on my desk and examining the middle leg, it seems to be completely symmetrical front-to-back. The angle of the cuts, the sculpted detail, even the "leg" part. So what is this?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I've not noticed the backwards foot on R4-G9 molds though. In fact, I've got my R4-G9 right here on my desk and examining the middle leg, it seems to be completely symmetrical front-to-back. The angle of the cuts, the sculpted detail, even the "leg" part. So what is this?
    This is a problem that drives me nuts as well. Perhaps Devo can explain this better than I but on quite a few of the astros that share the R4 body the center leg is attached backwards. While it looks pretty symmetrical front to back you can tell it's backwards because of the range of the "foot". On the ones that are backwards, the foot achieves a greater angle behind the droid than when extended in front of the droid. The reason this all bothers me is because it when the droid is displayed rolling in its "three-point stance" it requires the droid to have a more upright posture than depicted in the films (the droid actually achieves a more accurate position rolling backwards than forwards). As far as I've discovered there is no easy (or any) way of popping of the leg and turning it around.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.