Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revenge of the Sith wave

Jedi Temple Archives got the numbering for the first two waves, revealing the contents of the ROTS wave:

Specials:
    VCP01) 4-LOM™ (C5/JediCon exclusive)
    VCP02) ZUCKUSS™ (C5/JediCon exclusive)
    VCP03) BOBA FETT™ (Redemption item)

Wave 1:
    VC01) DENGAR™
    VC02) CLOUD CAR PILOT™
    VC03) LEIA™ (HOTH™ OUTFIT)
    VC04) HAN SOLO™ (ECHO BASE™ OUTFIT)
    VC05) LUKE SKYWALKER™ (BESPIN™ FATIGUES)
    VC06) AT-AT COMMANDER™
    VC07) C-3PO™
    VC08) DACK RALTER™
    VC09) DARTH VADER™
    VC10) BOBA FETT™
    VC11) 4-LOM™

Wave 2/3:
    VC12) DARTH SIDIOUS™
    VC13) ANAKIN SKYWALKER™
    VC14) SANDTROOPER™
    VC15) CLONE TROOPER™
    VC16) OBI-WAN KENOBI™
    VC17) GENERAL GRIEVOUS™
    VC18) MAGNAGUARD™
    VC19) CLONE COMMANDER CODY™

This might be slightly off, as the AT-AT Commander's cardback was numbered #5 at Toy Fair. But it elaborates on what Hasbro said in the most recent Q&A - eight figures in the wave, seven from ROTS, one from ANH, four new ROTS figures and the rest greatest hits repacks.

We already know that we're getting Senate Duel Sidious and an updated Grievous with cape, new head, and more articulation. I assume the other new ones are Anakin (they said they're updating the 2008 figure with better elbow articulation) and Magnaguard (since the 2005 sculpt is pretty terrible, especially next to the Clone Wars versions). I doubt they're updating Obi-Wan, Cody, a clone, and a sandtrooper; they're probably just re-releasing a sandtrooper to finally get one on a vintage card.

This also reaffirms their move to release more core characters first so as not to overdose on super-obscure background guys like they have the past few years.

I might actually get the Magnaguard, since, like you said, the 2005 one is crap. Wonder if they'll do color variants?

Can't say I'm excited about an update to ROTS Anakin.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm excited about the idea of a Sandtrooper on a vintage card. Here's hoping that it's the Dewback pack-in figure from last year with an orange pauldron. I would buy multiples if that was the case. If it's just the Saga Legends figure again, then I'll get one to keep carded and that's it.

I wonder if Hasbro's new strategy will work. I for one won't be buying very many figures in the foreseeable future. I'll probably buy most of the ESB wave but ROTS offers very little of interest. Collectors who don't buy redos aren't going to see much of interest here. I think I'm going to have to cancel my "one of each figure" membership.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    I wonder if Hasbro's new strategy will work. I for one won't be buying very many figures in the foreseeable future. I'll probably buy most of the ESB wave but ROTS offers very little of interest. Collectors who don't buy redos aren't going to see much of interest here. I think I'm going to have to cancel my "one of each figure" membership.
    I might buy a few of the Ep3 figures just to keep on the card. If those exact same figures were on Saga Legends cards for $1 cheaper then I would pass them all up without a second thought. So, yes, the vintage cards will likely make a big difference for me.

I don't think it will be enough to turn me into a completist again (which I gave up on over 8 years ago) but stranger things have happened.

With the amount of Sandtroopers Hasbro have released the past few years you'd swear it was the primary imperial trooper in the entire original trilogy. I am so sick of sandtroopers. Talk about overcompensating for there never being one in the vintage line.

Not much interest in this wave. Anakin and Obi-wan again. Commander Cody and Clone trooper again. Grievous ag-...you get the picture.

I'll only tune in to see what the Senate duel Palpatine looks like. I predict a softgoods monstrosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    With the amount of Sandtroopers Hasbro have released the past few years you'd swear it was the primary imperial trooper in the entire original trilogy. I am so sick of sandtroopers. Talk about overcompensating for there never being one in the vintage line.
    All you have to do is remove the backpack and pauldron and they can double as standard Stormtroopers.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    All you have to do is remove the backpack and pauldron and they can double as standard Stormtroopers.
    Except from behind because they've got the slit in their back and they're usually dirty. The slit isn't a huge problem depending on how you display but we never see dirty troopers anywhere but Tatooine (despite what Hasbro thinks about snowtroopers).
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    Except from behind because they've got the slit in their back and they're usually dirty. The slit isn't a huge problem depending on how you display but we never see dirty troopers anywhere but Tatooine (despite what Hasbro thinks about snowtroopers).
    When's the last time Hasbro released a dirty Sandtrooper? For the last couple of years, they've all been squeaky clean. Plus that little slit in the back of the figure is trivial, especially for anyone who grew up enduring giant screw-holes on the backs of all of their GI Joe figures.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    When's the last time Hasbro released a dirty Sandtrooper? For the last couple of years, they've all been squeaky clean. Plus that little slit in the back of the figure is trivial, especially for anyone who grew up enduring giant screw-holes on the backs of all of their GI Joe figures.
    The last dirty sandtrooper was in '08 in the Disturbance at the Lars Homestead set (still available in my area) but since it was a waaay overpriced exclusive that most people passed on you'd have to go farther back to the year before in the Legends line. So yes, it's been a while since we got a dirty sandtrooper but what good is a clean sandtrooper? They're all dirty on screen and so I've never had any use for a clean one. In fact I was pretty ticked that the one that came with the Dewback was a clean trooper.

As far as the whole in the back? You're right, I never owned any Joes (in fact Star Wars is pretty much the only action figure line I've ever collected and I'm in my late 20s) so I've got nothing to compare with but I do know that when I have a choice between the two troopers I'll take the one without the hole.