Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Hasbro would say something about how they need the comic to give context to the figures. Basically, there aren't enough people who own the comics and/or who have knowledge of the characters beforehand, to justify the costs involved in making the figures. They need a way to entice buyers, who have never even heard of these characters, into buying these sets for them to be successful.
    Maybe that's the reason but, if so, I don't think it's a great one. They might as well argue that nobody is going to buy a figure from The Force Unleashed or Knights of the Old Republic unless you include a copy of the video game to give it context. It's not like they're including a copy of a New Jedi Order novel with the Jacen Solo figure either.
    My backpack's got jets
    I'm boba the fett
    I bounty hunt for jabba hutt
    To finance my vette
    -----------------------------------
    "Fett's 'Vette" - MC Chris

This might be getting a bit far from your original question, SV, but I wonder if maybe they could go to an all-exclusive model (maybe through hasbrotoyshop.com) and offer two figures without a comic for the same price as the current comic packs. Or even offer EU figures only as exclusives.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Vicious View Post
    Maybe that's the reason but, if so, I don't think it's a great one. They might as well argue that nobody is going to buy a figure from The Force Unleashed or Knights of the Old Republic unless you include a copy of the video game to give it context. It's not like they're including a copy of a New Jedi Order novel with the Jacen Solo figure either.
    Yeah, I don't think it's a great reason either, since someone has to actually purchase the figures before they can get the context of who they are. You can't read the comic first to decide if you like the characters or not. However, I fully believe that would be Hasbro's response, so it would be a wasted question.

6, 10 & 11
    Ex-wife to me in the toy aisle: "Why do I sense we've picked up another plastic lifeform?"

Thanks to sebillba for the trade!

New Question:

It seems like when it comes to Revenge of the Sith there haven't been many really interesting new figure releases other than upgrades to characters and minor Jedi. While there are quite a few interesting background characters in ROTS, we haven't really heard from Hasbro if they have any really nifty new characters and aliens from this movie on the radar and which ones they'd most like to see released soon. So, Hasbro can we expect any totally new characters from ROTS in the next year or so?
    Most wanted "bottom-of-the-barrel scrapes": ANH: Kal'Falnl C'ndros, Revwien (concept art), Tzizvvt ESB: Wiorkettle, Treva Horme ROTJ: Cane Adiss, Loje Nella TPM: Edcel Bar Gane AOTC: Rogwa Wodrata ROTS: Mon Calamari Dancer, Veedaaz Awmetth, Eeusu Estornii EU: Guri (red outfit), Ket Maliss

I want to vote for 1, 2, 8, and 11.

By the way, with the question about color schemed exclusives: red for Target and blue for Walmart, why don't we have giraffe-colored armor for some clones with long neck abberations for Toys R Us?

If it's a 2-headed clone trooper, they can later re-card him as Cane Adiss.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

New question:

Has any thought been given to bringing back the comic 2 packs without including the comic in order to make them more cost effective? Most people that have any interest in these probably already have the comic in question. Even for collectors who don't have it, frequently the comic included is only an incomplete part of a story. In either case, it may not add much value to the buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Hasbro would say something about how they need the comic to give context to the figures. Basically, there aren't enough people who own the comics and/or who have knowledge of the characters beforehand, to justify the costs involved in making the figures. They need a way to entice buyers, who have never even heard of these characters, into buying these sets for them to be successful.
    This is likely, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Maybe we could ask about the logic: no one's going to buy Quinlan Vos vs Villie who doesn't know who they are. And, if someone does just buy the set based on how cool the figures look, does that comic really make a difference? I know licensing them must've added a pretty good amount to the sets.
    This is quite true, the comics lend context only AFTER the customer has purchased them. On the other hand, when I bought the Joker Squad set, it would have been a much more satisfying purchase if I hadn't had to look up on the web all the info on the characters online.

This is a toughy, it's clearly a snake eating its own tail, but it has points on both sides. And continuing the discussion...

The difference is that video games have a wider appeal and have trailers and visual media released ahead of time that the public can get to know, while comics are contained within their own small audiences and their own medium.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    This might be getting a bit far from your original question, SV, but I wonder if maybe they could go to an all-exclusive model (maybe through hasbrotoyshop.com) and offer two figures without a comic for the same price as the current comic packs. Or even offer EU figures only as exclusives.
    This seems unlikely, a suggestion on how to work with retailers is rough territory since we're not privy to all the details of their licenses and agreements. Also, new molds offered online only are pretty much guaranteed to never see the investment returned, so it's like asking a bank to take out a loan they know in advance won't be paid back - only without government intervention later.

Here's what they said to us a year ago on Feb 27th, 2009, I've highlighted the portion that refers to this discussion:
    CollectionStation.com: The Comic Packs are great since the addition of the comic books give these characters much-needed context, as the average kid and collector who mainly know the movies will likely not know these characters without seeing them in some sort of action. That said, there are still several other expanded universe products that have no context other than the small bio on their packaging. Would it be possible for comic books to also be included in EU multi-figure sets or vehicles as well? For instance, fans of Crimson Empire are liking the look of the upcoming Crucible set, while those who are unfamiliar with the work think it looks more like a cross between Star Wars and Power Rangers.

Hasbro: We feel better about the target audience when the sets go to a collector-targeted outlet such as Diamond Comics or Entertainment Earth. It's when the sets go to mass retailers as most comic 2-packs do that we feel we need to have that added context. We have thought about offering comics in the multi-figure sets, but usually it comes down to the package configuration and size. We'll take another look in the future to see if it merits the addition of the comic.
    Since that answer, the line has died off, and they've announced they're scaling back on EU and tertiary characters in general. It seems like a bad recipe to ask about more EU figures that don't even have their chief contextual materials. That said, I'm not saying "no", but I do need more convincing arguments on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_Adiss View Post
    New Question:

It seems like when it comes to Revenge of the Sith there haven't been many really interesting new figure releases other than upgrades to characters and minor Jedi. While there are quite a few interesting background characters in ROTS, we haven't really heard from Hasbro if they have any really nifty new characters and aliens from this movie on the radar and which ones they'd most like to see released soon. So, Hasbro can we expect any totally new characters from ROTS in the next year or so?
    Considering how far off those figures would be, what with an existing ROTS wave already scheduled in the next 12 months, I don't think they'd answer at this point. We might see something at Comic-Con in July, but even then I doubt they'll go there until we get to November or so during the pre-toy-fair run-up, after we have seen all the images of the last of the themed waves. It's also the movie with the most complete coverage of modern figures, so it seems the least likely to get that sort of treatment. I'd like to table this question until after Comic-Con, then come back to it after we've heard what Hasbro has to say about the general future of the line.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'll just vote for #10 for now.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

at this time I'm only interested in Question #3.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Here are my 4 votes:

1 sideshow
    2 droid legs
    7 belt
    8 colors
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.