Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another new cartoon in the works?

Forgive my skepticism about the new project. It sounds like it could be pretty funny for a stand-alone episode, maybe even a miniseries. But an ongoing series spoofing Star Wars? I've got some real concerns about how long it could go on without scraping the barrel. (Figure in that the dudes behind Robot Chicken are on, and every 15-minute episode of Robot Chicken really has about two minutes worth of funny, and I'm even more apprehensive. True, those two minutes are hysterical, but sometimes not enough to make up for the other thirteen unfunny minutes.)

I'm not against this; it just sounds like a cash-in that will run out of steam much, much sooner than the folks behind it actually realize it's dead. Or, worse, a distraction to get everyone's attention off the live-action show that still seems to be in limbo.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I think Variety got April Fooled into this, someone changed all their calendars and they thought it was the 1st today: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...s=1&ref=verttv

Otherwise, yikes.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The Official Site has the full scoop:
    Untitled Animated Star Wars Project Will Explore the Universe from a New Perspective, Blending Wry Comedy and Irreverent Fun

Lucasfilm Animation is currently developing an all-new animated Star Wars series, focusing its efforts on the comedic aspects of the "galaxy far, far away." Featuring creative involvement from Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, creators and executive producers of the Emmy and Annie Award-winning Robot Chicken, as well as writing from The Daily Show's Brendan Hay, the series will look at the Saga's characters with a playful and irreverent tone. The series will be produced by Daytime Emmy and Gemini Award-winner Jennifer Hill (The Backyardigans), and directed by Emmy-nominated Todd Grimes (Back at the Barnyard).

"There are so many stories taking place in the Star Wars universe, and they don't all have to focus on the fate of the galaxy," said Grimes. "We're looking at Star Wars from a new perspective; this will be a glimpse at how the rest of the galaxy is affected by the events of the Saga. There's a lot of humor to be mined from that."

"The Star Wars universe is so dense and rich; it's crazy to think that there aren't normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined," said Green. "And it's even crazier to think of what those problems might be, since it's all set in a galaxy far, far away. What do these characters do when they're not overthrowing Empires?"

Said Senreich, "We're going to pull back the curtain of some of those behind-the-scenes shenanigans. It's going to appeal to all ages, the way Star Wars should -- but there'll be plenty buried under the surface, as well. As Obi-Wan might say, 'it all depends on your point of view'."
    Hmm. I'm really not sure what to think about this. If it turns out like the Robot Chicken or Family Guy parodies, then it'll be great. But, as Chux said, they could run out of steam really quick. The fact that it has involvement from Green, Senreich, and a Daily Show guy is good; the fact that it has involvement from the Back to the Barnyard guy leaves me unsettled. George Lucas confirmed a second animated series as well as the live-action series a few months ago, so I guess it's not too surprising. There have been rumors the past few months that it might be a Galactic Heroes-type of deal, like Super Hero Squad. I know I'll watch, but I have a sinking feeling it'll be a lot like Droids and Ewoks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    The fact that it has involvement from Green, Senreich, and a Daily Show guy is good; the fact that it has involvement from the Back to the Barnyard guy leaves me unsettled.
    I'm more concerned about the Backyardigans lady, even if she is "only" a producer. That show kills brain cells dead. Even if Robot Chicken doesn't have the best laugh/crap ratio, Seth Green is at least usually funny.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'm more concerned about the Backyardigans lady, even if she is "only" a producer. That show kills brain cells dead. Even if Robot Chicken doesn't have the best laugh/crap ratio, Seth Green is at least usually funny.
    Oh, wait, crap . . . the name rang a bell but I didn't remember what it was until I just looked it up. I don't know much about that show but it looks very kiddie, but even bad for that audience. Damn. I'm as excited for this show as Chux was (and is) about Clone Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    F I've got some real concerns about how long it could go on without scraping the barrel.
    Kinda like they did in Robot Chicken Star Wars 2?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    Kinda like they did in Robot Chicken Star Wars 2?
    That is exactly what I was going to say. Hell, even Family Guy ESB was pretty mediocre, but Robot Chicken SW 2 was abysmally flat and forced (pun NOT intended). This barrel is already quite wrecked.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They should just do a show called Gungans, to complete the Trilogy with Droids and Ewoks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    They should just do a show called Gungans, to complete the Trilogy with Droids and Ewoks.
    How about a series with Teek as the star?