Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Who here has a Fisher Space Pen?

For those who don't know, Fisher makes the Space Pen, using their pen ink cartridge that is pressurized to write upside-down or in zero-gravity. The ink is specially formulated to write on most any surface, even grease, and can even write underwater. It is also designed to hold up against temperature extremes and at high altitudes. It has indeed been a pen used in NASA space missions for decades (before that, pencils were used but the leads would break off and there was a concern that they would cause a problem to instruments).

I have 3.
    - A blue "bullet pen" to replace the silver one I lost on the way back at '07 Comic-Con,
    - a black metal anti-glare military "cap-o-matic" pen (for when I need to write documents without being seen by snipers I guess),
    - and a classic Fisher "Astronaut pen" with a spiraling graph etched deco that my grandparents gave me.

I've never had a Fisher pen run out of ink on me, I always lose them first.

So, who else has 1 or more of these things, thus proving their true nerdom?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Place me on the nerdom list, JT, I have one (only), too. Got it as a gift many moons ago. It's in a drawer, because it's just too small for my mitts to write with, so it hasn't been in use very much at all. They are cool, though!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I hate pens. I use mechanical pencils for every day stuff. What I really like about the Fisher pens is ability to write at odd angles. Normal ball points (and by extension fountain pens) fail miserably at most angles past vertical. Personally I love the highly apocryphal story about NASA, the astronaut pen, the Russians and their pencils.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

i had one but i gave it to Jack Klompus

Stop spamming.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I do not have one and have no interest in buying one. They are pretty neat.....but not worth the price they charge.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I got the classic "Astronaut Pen" from Kennedy Space Center as a kid. It was an awesome pen, but like you JT I lost it before it ran out of ink. I've wanted another one but I lose my nicest pens all the time.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I remember hearing about them, had a brief interest in one, then let it fade like, well, ink on a medievel [sp?] parchment.

But as far as mechanical pencils go, they are worthless to me. It may not be environmentally conscious, but a "regular" #2 style is the only one for me; don't need to have lead, and the CORRECT size lead, too.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    I hate pens. I use mechanical pencils for every day stuff. What I really like about the Fisher pens is ability to write at odd angles. Normal ball points (and by extension fountain pens) fail miserably at most angles past vertical. Personally I love the highly apocryphal story about NASA, the astronaut pen, the Russians and their pencils.
    Normal pens use gravity to move the ink to the tip, since there's no gravity in space that wouldn't work. I find myself also cursing pens when I want to write vertically and they cop out on me.

I can't stand that Russian pencil tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax View Post
    Oy, Seinfeld reference not accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarthVader View Post
    I do not have one and have no interest in buying one. They are pretty neat.....but not worth the price they charge.
    Having done my grandma's bills for the past 3 years using cheap bic pens, I have grown to appreciate nicer pens that also can't be washed out of paper. The bullet was $12 at Staples, generally they're $10 to $20, and ink refills are $4, and they last much longer than regular pens. Doesn't seem that high to me. And I paid $10 for the cap-o-matic military black pen on Amazon. So it dePENds (ugh) on what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJediGirl View Post
    I got the classic "Astronaut Pen" from Kennedy Space Center as a kid. It was an awesome pen, but like you JT I lost it before it ran out of ink. I've wanted another one but I lose my nicest pens all the time.
    Oh, that's the best place to get that pen, too!

I must confess, I never use my more expensive gift pens anymore, after losing too many they go in my briefcase or pen cup never to be appreciated as much as they should. The Fisher pens are the only non-disposable pens I take with me anymore, and I think about them more to ensure they make it back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    But as far as mechanical pencils go, they are worthless to me. It may not be environmentally conscious, but a "regular" #2 style is the only one for me; don't need to have lead, and the CORRECT size lead, too.
    I used pencils at comic-con for some reporting stuff, and noticed that the #2 lead tips get fat very fast and end up taking up more space in my memo books, yet aren't as easy to read. Anything where I had scheduling notes on paper I'd end up having to re-write them in pen. Plus, can't sharpen a pencil on the fly. I used to love mechanical pencils as a kid, but having to constantly change leads (I push pretty hard on my writing tools) and having the last little bit fall out became too much of a problem. I do like pencil for sketching though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]Ha![/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I have one, too JediTricks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]My wife received one from Google a few years ago as a promo/giveaway/gift (it has their logo on it) for som work she did with them that year but gave it to me since she doesn't use ball points. I'd always heard of them, but never had thought of spending real money on a pen that I'd eventually lose, but I started using it immediately.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]It's the standard silver bullet version. I used it until I ran out of ink and when I couldn't find anyone local to buy refills from, I stopped carrying it around. One day I found out that the knife shop at the mall carries the refills, so I have been using it again since January.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I really like it because of how compact it is. I keep it in my pocket along with my Slip N Snip fold up scissors, Both are made of shiny metal and made in the USA and surprising handy to have around. I should probably buy a new one as a backup in case I eventually lose this one.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I use mine everyday, so I am on my 2nd refill of the year and 3rd since I got it. For a free pen, it's been great. Like I said, I like how compact and unobtrusive it is, so it's been really handy to have.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]