McDonalds thinks adding gourmet items will help slow sales, are they right?

CNN Money had this article: "McDonald's CEO promises better food"
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/04/inve...ook/index.html

In reading the article, it seems McDonald's CEO thinks their problem is that they're not competitive in the upper-end products, and adding more fancy items will save them. Does anybody else think that's right?

I for one think he's off his nut, and hasn't eaten at McDonalds lately. Their problem is at the foundation: the quality of their ingredients isn't very good on their base-level burgers and chicken. If you go to McDonalds and spend a couple bucks, you will get food that has an off texture, is greasy, and has a bitter flavor. Compare that to everybody else's food at that price and nobody else makes you question your choices quite like McDonalds.

McD's has worked so hard to become efficient and cheap that they've lost sight of quality at their basic level. Try a basic hamburger without toppings and it's like eating greasy cardboard. I may loathe Burger King these days for their cost-cutting, but at least their meat isn't this horrible. The chicken nuggets and cheaper chicken offerings are a similar problem, tough and off-tasting, focusing heavily on breading and sauces to cover up the actual food flavor.

But that's just my opinion, what do you think?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I would never choose McDonalds over Carl's, Wendy's, or Jack (though light years before Burger King), but my kids do, and sometimes they're the only option anyway. I stick to the value menu. The Chicken McNuggets are okay when they're dirt cheap. They need to recognize that their food is cheap, only okay, and revel in it. You don't see Carl's/Hardee's going for high end, healthy food. No, their commercials are "This food is incredibly bad for you, and you'll love it."

My only real fear is that, in their menu hacking, they'll eliminate the Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger, which is the only sandwich they have that's remotely close to worth the price. (Top it with some fries, McNuggets, ketchup, and one of the spicier McNugget sauces, and it's actually pretty good.)

Embrace what you are, McDonalds. You'll never be healthy, and you'll never please the health nuts.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

McDonalds fries are still great, but their burgers are pretty bleh. I have a real problem with the customer service. It seems like they hire the worst people in the area. Sometimes they have a real attitude(slamming trays,being disrespectful, etc) other times they are so inept, they can't process a simple order without screwing it up. You compare that with the local Arbys, which has people working there who are always courteous, rarely mess up the order, and don't look like a bunch of hoodlums who would slit your throat for a nickel. The service is the real turnoff for me. Its gotten so bad here locally that I don't even want to go there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I would never choose McDonalds over Carl's, Wendy's, or Jack (though light years before Burger King), but my kids do, and sometimes they're the only option anyway. I stick to the value menu. The Chicken McNuggets are okay when they're dirt cheap. They need to recognize that their food is cheap, only okay, and revel in it. You don't see Carl's/Hardee's going for high end, healthy food. No, their commercials are "This food is incredibly bad for you, and you'll love it."

My only real fear is that, in their menu hacking, they'll eliminate the Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger, which is the only sandwich they have that's remotely close to worth the price. (Top it with some fries, McNuggets, ketchup, and one of the spicier McNugget sauces, and it's actually pretty good.)

Embrace what you are, McDonalds. You'll never be healthy, and you'll never please the health nuts.
    I think kids like McDonalds because it plays to their less-developed taste buds which enjoy things like ketchup on hot dogs over mustard, they only taste the bold aspect of the flavors, not the problems found in the nuance. Then they become addicted to the flavor of the fries and the nuggets and so on, developing tastes around that.

As for BK, yeah, I'll actually go there LESS than I will McD's, they've ruined their flavors and raised their prices too high to justify that. Carls for that flame broiled flavor, Jack in the Box for variety, Wendy's for freshness, they all defeat the golden arches. Have you ever had the chicken nuggets at Jack or Wendy's? They're WAY better in texture and flavor, and they're the same price.

Carl's started doing that "high end, healthy" crap with the grass-fed beef and it's actually their worst burger by far, the meat is from Australia which means a long boat ride, and it's really dry and rubbery. Stop trying to be something you're not! Luckily they didn't abandon their regular beef.

McDonalds keeps trying to do angus and gourmet and fancy, and it's just embarrassing because their business model forbids that type of food, you can't have fast, stressfully-efficient, AND quality all come out together. They have a nice $1 salad, it's got a great mix of greens and veggies, you can get it with Newman's Own Lite Vinaigrette and it's delicious, but that's because it's pre-made somewhere else, there's no special order about it - you try to get that same quality in the Snack Wraps and it comes out sloppy and sad despite the same mix of greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    McDonalds fries are still great, but their burgers are pretty bleh. I have a real problem with the customer service. It seems like they hire the worst people in the area. Sometimes they have a real attitude(slamming trays,being disrespectful, etc) other times they are so inept, they can't process a simple order without screwing it up. You compare that with the local Arbys, which has people working there who are always courteous, rarely mess up the order, and don't look like a bunch of hoodlums who would slit your throat for a nickel. The service is the real turnoff for me. Its gotten so bad here locally that I don't even want to go there anymore.
    Their fries have beef added as a flavoring, it adds a unique character. The smell of their fries coupled with their coffee brewing is like a McDonalds hug, and I don't even like coffee. But most of the time the fries are served cold which torpedoes their quality fast (second only to Del Taco, whose fries are the best thing on earth for about 3 minutes).

As for customer service, it's a franchise thing I think because a lot of the employees at my local stores are actually pretty solid, but I've seen 'em in other areas where they hire Mongols to pillage the customer. Supposedly, McDonald's worker is a more stressful job than air traffic controller due to the fast-pace demand of management.

Meanwhile, Arby's and El Pollo Loco are the only fast food places where they have a bell at the door for customers to ring if they're satisfied, and you hear the bells ring quite often, those employees take pride in their work even if it's just slingin' fast food.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Oh yeah, I tend to not think of Del Taco as a burger joint, but they kinda are, and are surprisingly good at it. Just their burgers are overpriced and their Mexican isn't.

I've had nuggets elsewhere, but there's something about the McNuggets I like. Not sure what it is; I prefer them even though I know they're technically not as good, if that makes sense.

And then there's In & Out, which seems to me closer to something like Five Guys or any of a number of local joints, though they're definitely fast food, too.

Long John Silver's has a bell, too, BTW. I just don't eat there often; fish allergy and all.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

A guy I know here worked at McDs for about three months and hated it, not so much for the work itself, but the people he had to work with. He said they were the laziest pos he ever met. He switched over to Arby's and says he likes it alot better.

Want to talk misguided and confused?

McDonald's once had a dollar menu, where everything was a dollar. On this menu was the Double Cheeseburger, with two small "meat" patties and two slices of cheese. As the cost of cheese increased, franchisees complained they couldn't make a profit on it, and people tended to order it because it was the most bang for the (literal, in this case) buck. So they raised the price to $1.19 or $1.29 (at most locations), and added the McDouble (same thing, but only one slice of cheese) for a dollar.

Fast forward a few years. I'm not sure they have anything left that's actually a dollar, other than the drinks (which was a smart move, so I expect them to undo that any day now) on what they still call their "Dollar and More" menu. I was in the same shopping center today as a local McD's, and took a quick look at the drive-thru menu to see if the Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger, the only edible burger even remotely worth the price, had been axed. (Spoiler: it's gone, at least at this location.)

The McDouble is $1.49, and the Double Cheeseburger is $1.69.

So, they think the menu has gotten too complicated, but they keep two almost identical burgers, which no novice could distinguish from the names, on the menu, despite one of them only having been created to keep a double cheeseburger of some sort for $1 and which is now woefully obsolete. (And neither is worth even the lower of the two prices.)

But, hey, that sexy new Hamburglar gonna turn everything around for them!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Around here the McDouble is $1.29 and the Double Cheeseburger is $1.69, I think. I generally get the McDouble because I'm a cheapskate, but honestly it does taste different from the Double Cheeseburger. That said, it is odd that they keep one and not the other, my guess is they keep them both because one suggests value and the other is an American classic.

Their dollar and more menu (like $3.99 items at the 99 cent only store!) is part of the problem, they have some good ideas but they are all over the map with too many ideas hither and yon, and many are kinda funky in flavor.

Oi that new Hamburglar! I'm not sure which would be worse, if he didn't say "robble robble" or if he did... oh wait, no, I have the answer, because HE SAYS IT IN THE PREVIEW AD AND IT'S THE WORST!!! http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...mps-hamburglar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamburglar-mcdonalds.0.0.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	28620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamburglar.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	28621