Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Happy 75th birthday, Superman!

(What? He died once! He just got better.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That first Action Comics issue was a total rip-off of Amazing Spiderman #306.

But I always liked Nietzsche's run on the series better.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I just found out that a second of my grandparents owned Action #1! That's $4 million I could have had!!! My paternal grandmother owned a copy that her mother threw out when she was sent to summer camp, and now I learn that my maternal grandfather also owned a copy and the same thing happened to him. Parents! (In my case, that'd be "great grandparents!")

Nietzsche's run was a total ripoff, "The Overman", how lazy can you get?!? Worst character name ever.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And I thought my dad's "I owned Fantastic Four #1" was impressive. Dayum.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I could've bought an Amazing SM #1 (in VF condition) for an even $1K at a comic shop in the late '80s. But there was just one small issue (pun ALWAYS intended) with me doing so then...

I think my dad had an early Mickey Mantle baseball card in his collection that my grandma (ahem) "placed elsewhere."
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Rosie the Riveter first appeared on S.E.P.'s cover today, 70 years ago. We can do it! (even though I always thought she was making a rude arm gesture)

Both Marilyn Monroe & Norma Jean Mortenson would've been 85 today. Weird. A decade older than Superman, too.

Since I'm pretty sure they've all died at least once, today is the 50th anniversary of the first appearance of the X-Men in X-Men #1.

And the first appearance of the Avengers in Avengers #1.

Considering the titles they were already working on, it's staggering how much quality work Lee and Kirby produced in the early days of Marvel. If you were to make a movie or a book about comic creators and attribute that number of successful comics and characters to only two people in such a short time, no one would believe it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The writer of the greatest opening line in literary history, Franz Kafka would've been awakened by uneasy dreams to find he had been transformed into a baby human being 130 years ago.

Today was also the birthday of the great Mississippi John Hurt, one of the bestest guitar players ever.
    Tommy, close your eyes.