Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    My point was that the Slave-One is a piece of crap. Until it appeared in The Clone Wars, it had no hope of selling more than five units worldwide. Now, it might sell as many as fifteen.
    Dude, what are you talking about? Boba Fett is one of the most-loved sci-fi characters EVER, and anything associated with him, done well and recognizable from an on-screen appearance, should sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

I'd argue that Boba Fett is no more a character than Darth Maul. He's a plot device with a nice-looking set of armor. And a lot of people are really, really burned out by the hard-on Lucasfilm has had with Boba Fett over the past several years. I'd like to see a spin-off movie that is just different angles of him falling into the Sarlaac for two hours.

I really do not think that a Slave-One priced at over $50 would sell well at all, and folks are wanting one that's so big it'd have to be more than twice that. Adult collectors would buy it. Some kids would buy it now that it appeared on the TV show. But even the Falcon didn't sell particularly well at $150, and you don't get much more iconic than that.

I'd argue that Boba Fett is no more a character than Darth Maul. He's a plot device with a nice-looking set of armor. And a lot of people are really, really burned out by the hard-on Lucasfilm has had with Boba Fett over the past several years. I'd like to see a spin-off movie that is just different angles of him falling into the Sarlaac for two hours.

I really do not think that a Slave-One priced at over $50 would sell well at all, and folks are wanting one that's so big it'd have to be more than twice that. Adult collectors would buy it. Some kids would buy it now that it appeared on the TV show. But even the Falcon didn't sell particularly well at $150, and you don't get much more iconic than that.
    I mostly agree with you. Except Darth Maul had a much more important role in Ep1 than Boba Fett did in AOTC, ESB and ROTJ rolled together. Maul actually killed one of the main characters in Ep1, Boba Fett didn't even really capture Han Solo, Calrissian and Vader captured him and merely handed him off to Fett.

Most of my friends are not Star Wars fans by any stretch of the imagination. They don't necessarily hate SW, they were entertained by the movies for a couple of hours, but that's about it. However, if you were to mention names like Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, R2-D2, etc., they would know exactly who you were talking about. If you mention Boba Fett, the unanimous response is almost always, "Who's Boba Fett?" So he hasn't really permeated into the mass-consciousness of popular culture as much as Boba Fett fans would like everyone to believe.

Even casual viewers will recognize the Millenium Falcon and the AT-ATs, but the Slave 1 is just not important enough to the films for me to believe that a gigantic $100+ toy would do anything but sink at retail.

I'd argue that Boba Fett is no more a character than Darth Maul. He's a plot device with a nice-looking set of armor. And a lot of people are really, really burned out by the hard-on Lucasfilm has had with Boba Fett over the past several years.
    And judging by the number of Mandalorian symbol tattoos I've seen, I'm guessing a whole lot of people aren't.

I'd like to see a spin-off movie that is just different angles of him falling into the Sarlaac for two hours.
    If that were a YouTube channel I'd subscribe to it. Especially if we got it interspersed with scenes of "Blind-As-A-Bat" Han Solo repeatedly, at various speeds and hi-def slo-mo, whacking Fett in the jetpack completely by accident and sending one of the galaxy's scariest, baddest sons-of-a-gun careening helplessly to that painful (and disgusting) fate like the Human Torch with a bucket over his head.

True, but it's arguable the Falcon didn't sell as well as it could have because it was released right in the thick of a major economic recession when credit is tight, wages are low, unemployment is high and hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who would desperately want such an item simply couldn't afford it (especially considering many are living in conditions greatly downgraded from where they might have been a few years before, and thus have no place to put such beasts). In fact, one could reasonably say Hasbro's timing has been rather unfortunate with these big vehicles; it might be a great thing if the economy wasn't such a mess and people had more disposable income.

I don't think it's any specific defect in design or execution of the individual toy or its popularity in the fandom that totally decides its sales figures. I'll bet there's plenty of kids out there who know and love Fett, not just because of CW, but because their dad or uncle or older brother is a Fett fan too and that, like loyalty to sports teams, tends to pass through the generational barrier (at least those fans and their kids I've seen). They might want a big Slave I as badly as their dad does, and gives Dad the perfect excuse to buy it. I'll tell you point-blank; there's tons of stuff I've had to pass up over the past few years due to lack of funds. One should not confuse low sales with lack of interest; there is not necessarily a causal relationship between them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Space Outlaw View Post
    one of the galaxy's scariest, baddest sons-of-a-gun.
    Too bad none of that was really shown onscreen. Boba Fett came off as Vader's lackey in ESB and Jabba's clumsy errand-boy in ROTJ. He was just a weird kid who got enjoyment from watching people get shot at in AOTC.

The recent three-part Clone Wars Boba Fett arc really expanded his character, particularly the first episode. But I know you're never going to watch it, so never mind.

So did the series of young adult novels that the three-part Clone Wars story trampled on, but you're never going to read it, so never mind.

So did the series of young adult novels that the three-part Clone Wars story trampled on, but you're never going to read it, so never mind.
    Ah, yes. The thrilling adventures of Boba Fett as he tracks down his dad's bank account . . . but he can't find the PIN! Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    The recent three-part Clone Wars Boba Fett arc really expanded his character, particularly the first episode. But I know you're never going to watch it, so never mind.
    Your post reminded me that I've been forgetting to keep up with those episodes. I just watched the 3-part Boba episodes on Cartoon Network's website.

My first impression: HOLY CRAP! A Klatooinian Bounty Hunter! Now I have a new action figure to campaign for after CW Bossk gets made! What was his name? Castus?

Anyways, I was a little disappointed that Bossk played so minimal of a role in the story; but they did a decent job of making young Boba Fett interesting.... for the most part. I could have done with a little less nobility and more ruthlessness from his character, however. I like the idea of making Aurra Singh into Boba's mentor. It makes her character seem much less... pointless. It's also a cool way to tie some PT/OT plot threads together.

Also, it looks like the Slave 1 blows up at the end of the episode (I hope that's not a spoiler, because I guess I'm the last person on the planet to see these episodes), but I'm assuming that Honda Ohnaka (great to see him again!) and his men will rebuild it and repaint it. If so that would be another cool way to link one of my favorite CW characters into mainline SW continuity.

Well, this has all been enough to make me want to see more of Boba in this show because it seems like they are building up to something. And if Hasbro is planning to make young Boba, Aurra, Bossk and Castus (sp?) as action figures, then I would definitely consider buying a larger, CW-styled Slave 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Space Outlaw View Post
    True, but it's arguable the Falcon didn't sell as well as it could have because it was released right in the thick of a major economic recession when credit is tight, wages are low, unemployment is high and hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who would desperately want such an item simply couldn't afford it (especially considering many are living in conditions greatly downgraded from where they might have been a few years before, and thus have no place to put such beasts). In fact, one could reasonably say Hasbro's timing has been rather unfortunate with these big vehicles; it might be a great thing if the economy wasn't such a mess and people had more disposable income.
    Thats what happened to me. I would have gladly paid 150 for it. But I couldn't afford it at the time. When I finally had enough money for one, they were nowhere to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Also, it looks like the Slave 1 blows up at the end of the episode (I hope that's not a spoiler, because I guess I'm the last person on the planet to see these episodes), but I'm assuming that Honda Ohnaka (great to see him again!) and his men will rebuild it and repaint it. If so that would be another cool way to link one of my favorite CW characters into mainline SW continuity.
    Slave one blew up? Dang, I really should have watched that last night.
    I've been putting it off until my son can watch it with me.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-