Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Patience, JimJam. You must take it minute by minute. It keeps you runnin'.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wow, who would have thought that Lucas would have to work harder to make a weekly television show than 1 movie every 3 years? Oh, right, EVERYF***INGBODY!!! Maybe he should get a television producer instead of McCallum to explain how to make a television show on a schedule and a simpler budget! What a dingus! Modern Star Trek got made on a weekly basis for decades, Babylon 5 got 5 years and multiple TV movies out of a tiny budget and almost no audience, Syfy Channel kept Sliders on the air for multiple years after Fox canceled it, there's ways to do this stuff, it just requires vision and a better understanding of the industry - and Lucas has neither.

Lucas could even shoot this like the prequels, he's got scripts so he knows what characters need to be in what locales, he's got more greenscreen powers, and it's not hard to shoot enough material at one time for multiple episodes, he just needs to get someone to put all these things together on a budget about a quarter of a single prequel movie, then it's around $2 mil an episode.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Or just do what Star Trek did with TNG: set more of the story in the interior of a ship or in fairly generic-looking sets. It turned out pretty nice for a 25-year-old syndicated TV series.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    According to Heckler Spray, the series is now on hold due to budgeting issues.

To be fair, they don't source anything, and just give the quotes, so the article could be completely bogus.

If true, then it confirms that they've been working on it but need to figure out how to move forward. Hopefully it will still happen.

I read about this a while ago. The quotes were taken from Lucas to a fan at one of the Star Wars in Concert events.

I imagine that a SW TV show episode would be a bit more ambitious and involved than the making of a regular tv series. It takes 3 years just to get one of the films made so basically trying to do that on a bi-weekly basis at a much lower budget would be quite an undertaking.

Corporate sponsership might be a way to go. I could see ABC trying to court Lucas and perhaps offering some production assistance. Disney seems to be buddying up to Lucas and this would be a great way to do it. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Or just do what Star Trek did with TNG: set more of the story in the interior of a ship or in fairly generic-looking sets. It turned out pretty nice for a 25-year-old syndicated TV series.
    1) Those sets weren't generic, some were from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and designed to match up the concept of the hallways that were curved to match the saucer with the necessity of a limited shooting space. The others were meant to be the wider straight sections between the curves.

2) Lucas doesn't like to compromise. Ever since he had a panic attack making ANH and couldn't do all sorts of things, he's held regrets in his heart about making compromises, not understanding that challenge is a key ingredient to the human condition and to striving for better.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I meant that the interiors only had to be built once. Most of the exterior shots were in jungles, or deserts, or other sets that could be anything, or they appeared to be filmed on location in not especially exotic locations. (I doubt the Picard vinyard was filmed in France, for instance.)

If they tried to do Star Wars as a TV show on the scale Lucas is used to, it would require an insane amount of sets and/or CG. For a movie, or even a series of movies, this can work. It can work for a cartoon. But for a live-action TV show (at least one that's anything more than a glorified miniseries), he's got to make some compromises.

Perhaps he should just totally let someone else take over, like you said, and only keep veto power for things like "Leia cheats on Han with Chewbacca, causing a second Galactic Civil War."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I swear I heard this news a few weeks ago on the forcecast and thought "Oh well. Maybe someday."

I'm not too surprised at this. It's been delayed a few years already, what's a few more?

I've still got my Firefly (what a Han Solo-esque series could have been).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I meant that the interiors only had to be built once. Most of the exterior shots were in jungles, or deserts, or other sets that could be anything, or they appeared to be filmed on location in not especially exotic locations. (I doubt the Picard vinyard was filmed in France, for instance.)

If they tried to do Star Wars as a TV show on the scale Lucas is used to, it would require an insane amount of sets and/or CG. For a movie, or even a series of movies, this can work. It can work for a cartoon. But for a live-action TV show (at least one that's anything more than a glorified miniseries), he's got to make some compromises.

Perhaps he should just totally let someone else take over, like you said, and only keep veto power for things like "Leia cheats on Han with Chewbacca, causing a second Galactic Civil War."
    Oh, I see.

Lucas wants to do a lot of green-screen, so it's all about CGI costs. There are nice locations there, but he is gun-shy about locations that aren't just so.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...#ixzz1PBG1zyYI

"In a year or two" gets further and further away with every passing day.

Maybe it will become a reality show where SW fans text in story ideas to Jeremy Bulloch and Silas Carson who'll set up poll questions...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega