Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Justified on FX

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I've been really enjoying it, and was quite surprised. I hated Olyphant in Live Free & Die Hard, and not because he was the villain, but because he was an incredibly weak villain. I didn't think he could pull off a starring role, but he's been pretty great so far. I'm definitely keeping attuned to it, and wish it wasn't a new series so I could have a backlog of episodes to go through. It hasn't pulled off anything really amazing so far, but it's got some really well done character writing. Definitely like The Shield, but not attempting to be in your face.

I suppose it also helps that my hometown is easily relatable to the setting.
    Ditto. Great show, nice to have Elmore Leonard type conversation and behavior styles on TV.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, you're watching Justified, too? Cool.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yes, I set the DVR to record every episode when I saw it was based on an Elmore Leonard story, and every episode so far has been satisfying.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Satisfying is the key word here. I have not been disappointed and have been enticed to watch more with each episode.

So far, the show hasn't been anything spectacular, but it's never missed its mark either.

I've enjoyed the guest stars playing various numb-nuts criminals that he's been after each show. And the setting in Kentucky is quite refreshing in a way - since it's not LA, Miami, New York, or Chicago.

I'm not familiar with Elmore Leonard, though I imagine I'd like becoming acquainted with his work. I just don't have the time.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I think you're selling it short, it's well above and beyond most cop shows, and is a decent western without reeking of modern ultra-"realism" and violence. Plus, it doesn't always have obvious motivations, that makes a big deal IMO, the Elmore Leonard style of characters who do or say something that's true to their character but not to the expected archetype.

The little gay dude!

I rewound that scene a couple of times and laughed my butt off. Too funny.

During last night's show, it struck me: Gibbons is like a fish out of water. He'd be more comfortable in the 1870s Tombstone or Dodge City than the 21st century. He's a different, old-fashioned type of character.

Man, that was a great episode. Each character had their own quirky logic which they they were driven by, and each got what made the most sense. Alan Ruck hasn't been this good since Ferris Bueller, and I was genuinely sorry to see his character die. This episode reminded me a lot of Get Shorty.

I missed it...now I wish I didn't read about Alan Ruck. That's what I get for clicking this thread.

I loved this episode! JT is right about each character being really well developed with their own personality - even the guy who gave up his car to "the Dentist."

Yeah, Raylan reminds me of a modern-day Wyatt Earp. (Actually Earp lived into the first half of the 20th century and lived in Los Angeles and San Diego).

Anyway, "Justified" is another guest-actor's showcase show that really lets stars shine playing great characture roles.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    I missed it...now I wish I didn't read about Alan Ruck. That's what I get for clicking this thread.
    Sorry Skip, didn't realize folks who miss the episode would still read the thread. I've avoided threads for a week after having that happen. It's a good episode none the less, "the journey" is what matters.