Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Justified on FX

IMO, a city with 20,000 people would have crime more like what we're talking about than a city with just 2,000. A smaller town would have less opportunities and more internetworked personal connections which would affect how a criminal or a drug addict could survive outside the mainstream.

Anyway, last night's episode was... quite a thing. I liked some of it, but some of it felt like when you were a kid and you'd get all your GI Joes, Star Wars, Transformers, and He-Man figures together and just smash them into each other. And once again, not enough Raylan, not enough Art, and Tim & whatsherface can't seem to carry a storyline on their own.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

You have a good point, but that is pretty much what they're showing. Everybody is connected to everybody else in some form or another, the only ones that have been truly separate entities have been the folks at Noble's Holler.

So, that was season 3... I'm not certain as to how I feel about that ending. I can't really figure out anything that was actually resolved, aside from Arlo's shenanigans finally leading him back to prison. Although, I did like the "man in the hat" thing, that was pretty subtle and powerful stuff. I've been kind of tired with Arlo, especially after tagging along as Boyd's lackey, but now it makes sense with him apparently considering Boyd more of his son than Raylan. I assume this is probably something that was always supposed to be there, in some form, but has only become more prominent as Arlo's dementia has set in.

Limehouse, I'm pretty sure, is the first villain/big boss to make it into a following season since Daddy Crowder was killed in season 1, then Mags in season 2. He's had some interesting moments throughout the season but overall he still comes off as a fairly weak character. It really doesn't help that his first scene was dedicated to immediately applying the villainous cookie cutter - he was only missing a scene in which to twirl a handlebar mustache. So, while I like that this season was supposed to serve as just developing him, they didn't quite do it right.

As for Quarles... I don't know. I'm pretty sure they didn't say whether he was dead or alive? It'd be difficult to imagine him living through surviving an explosion, getting shot, and bleeding out from being "disarmed." I can only imagine the lack of mention means he'll return, though, since this is a character where it'd be a sham(e) to go with an off-screen death. But, I would have rather seen him die and call it the end of that. He was very, very interesting and well-written for the most part. I loved how he seemed organize but it was generally just a bluff, making him pretty unpredictable until he finally had no leverage whatsoever. However, he didn't really accomplish anything through the season that makes me want to see more of him.

In fact, they really seemed shy about killing one off this season, as best evidenced by Dickie Bennett getting to the finale with only a shot to the leg. He was really kind of a pointless addition through the season, so I had hoped to see him get killed off. In fact, he definitely should've been shot dead when he went after Loretta. Very weird and surprising that the only person to get killed off was the state cop, which I guess they figured we would have had something of a connection to the character by now but I was pretty baffled by the significance outside of a cop getting killed. It seems like they could've done a little more to really make it tragic since it just came off as a means to do the hat connection. Which, again, was nice in its subtlety, but still a bit on the weak side - especially since I don't even recall Raylan wearing his hat through the first half of the season.

So, overall, it wasn't a bad season but it wasn't a great season. It was something of a filler season, I suppose, with everything just kind of wrapping up without a huge mess (aside from Limehouse's floor) and hopefully it's leading to some better stuff with the next one. Most likely the stolen money from the Marshall's evidence locker will come into play since they didn't anything with that in these final episodes.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I don't think we've seen the last of Limehouse either, LT. He'll be back.

I thought the stand-alone eps were good. Quarles was a good bad guy. He was refined.

Arlo being the scapegoat/fall guy...well, I don't know. It was an easy out for his character.

Was shopping at Meijer the other day and noticed there was a Justified hardback for sale. It's called 'Raylan.'

Neat, how big was it? IIRC, there's supposed to be around three books plus a short story which the show is based on, or multiple short stories?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

200 pages, give or take. I'll see it again in the next few days and get more details.

I finally caught up with the show. I record it to me in my friend watch it together. The disarming was awesome. Yeah Quarrels was interesting. Mags was the best villain so far
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Woke up this morning thinking, hot diggity damn, I've got Justified to watch! Good ep. A lot of setup for this season in the first ep.

Patton Oswald's Gremlin police car! What a hoot!

Probably going to catch up on Justified and Vegas on Friday or Saturday. The Rizzo House Mafia daughter is a babe on that one! Just like my Davina character (though brunette not blonde) in my novel I'm writing. I'd aimed for the movies, but man you could get a lot of cable seasons out of my own Mafia family story!

So I enjoy watching these shows with my buddies Amanda and David and to save time, we watch it later before starting our weekends. So they're recorded and I saw snipits of both shows and they looked great.

I have watch parties for Walking Dead with this crowd as well - but I often cheat and have to watch it immediately, LOL.

I'll get like that as the season comes down to the wire and I can't wait to see what happens next.

OC - we always watch the exact same shows!

Incidentally, Hell on Wheels got a 3rd season and with Lilly dead, this is a friggin HUGE step for the show. Maybe they got the balls because they weren't sure if they were being cancelled? But so many cast members got killed 2nd season that your jaw was on the floor! Cullen Bohannon will be out for blood 3rd season (not that he wasn't killing everybody the first 2 years...)

And I can't wait for Copper to come back. Kevin's found his wife, but that's messed up (not going to spoil it if you haven't watched this one about an 1864 Civil War era Irish cop (BBC - returns in fall I think). But his friend the black doctor is going to get lynched for beating the hell out of the white pseudo-pharmacist and Wilkes Booth is going to set things in place for the assasination of President Lincoln after the Confederates failed to blow up New York (and a lot of this is true history!)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

For me, this episode didn't hold up. Raylan's story was interesting to watch up until he got resolution on the thieves, then his story went downhill fast into becoming king of the Kentucky Hot Messes. Raylan's story was only a third of this episode though, and the rest weren't stories on their own, only little pieces, fragments of foundations for several barely-connected storylines.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.