Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Justified on FX

It seemed surprisingly filler-y for a season premiere, but it was an enjoyable episode. Seems like Raylan should know better by now about leaving things in his trunk, though. I was a little confused when the episode started, a dead body showing up in some strange and randomy way at some point several years earlier? Definitely thought it may have been a CSI episode. Very weird route to go.

Few points...
    - Patton Oswalt was a mostly enjoyable addition, but he recently overstayed his welcome on Burn Notice and I don't want to see the same happen here. In fairness, it's not so much himself and was more an error on part of the Burn Notice writers who copy & pasted his role four episodes in a row.

- Timmy from Jurassic Park is grown up and preaching in the woods with a creepy sidekick - and a snake in hand. That was just weird, but it will be interesting to see where this goes. I'm sure there's going to be some connection to Boyd's former backwoods conversion retreat.

- Arlo was a worthwhile addition for once. I've grown very annoyed with him as a general character, especially over season three, and wasn't too joyed to see him again so soon. But, he was more about serious actions than being a bitter old codger for once, and I like that angle to him much better.

- Boyd's new partner seems like he should be a lot more interesting to have around than the usual hillbilly redshirts (...rednecks? ) that Boyd gets surrounded with.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I should say that I did find it watchable on a TV level, it just didn't hold up for me to the show's prior standards.

In the world of Elmore Leonard, everybody puts and leaves everybody in car trunks.

On Burn Notice, they made his character too whiny and gave him nothing to do, no personal emotional resources to fall back on, that's fine for a single shot character but 3 or 4 episodes? No. Here, he's pathetic and pretty much the same thing only worse since he's bumbling again and whiny, but now he's only a wannabe. If they continue the character, he's going to need to be more useful.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The wannabe angle at least limits the reasons as to why he would come in use. After Patton's second Burn Notice episode I couldn't buy that he was supposed to be some amazing smuggler that could do practically anything, so the character became all the more grating after that. I kept waiting for a twist reveal that he wasn't the real smuggler.

One thing I forgot to note that was kind of surprising was their blatantly showing off an Airsoft gas blowback being used for a prop. Raylan threatens his future trunk inhabitant with his Glock 26 backup, but the pistol is shown very clearly throughout the shot and we can see that it lacks any Glock trademarks whatsoever on its slide. I know this has become common practice because, IIRC, you don't have to have an armorer on set when you're only dealing with Airsoft props, but it was unexpected that they wouldn't use different angles to hide the lack of trademarks.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

I fully agree about his second pass in Burn Notice, it totally undermined the idea that he could be the best smuggler around. The first episode he's got less pitfalls and more resources so it's easier to buy, but the more they expanded the character the less plausible it became.

Wow, I didn't notice that Airsoft at all, good eye, I would have liked to have seen that but I think I deleted the episode off my DVR as soon as I watched it.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Fortunately someone posted a really good screencap on an Airsoft board - http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps8bf86f8b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Probably going to catch up on Justified and Vegas on Friday or Saturday. The Rizzo House Mafia daughter is a babe on that one! Just like my Davina character (though brunette not blonde) in my novel I'm writing. I'd aimed for the movies, but man you could get a lot of cable seasons out of my own Mafia family story!

OC - we always watch the exact same shows!

Incidentally, Hell on Wheels got a 3rd season and with Lilly dead, this is a friggin HUGE step for the show. Maybe they got the balls because they weren't sure if they were being cancelled? But so many cast members got killed 2nd season that your jaw was on the floor! Cullen Bohannon will be out for blood 3rd season (not that he wasn't killing everybody the first 2 years...)
    I agree with you about Miss Rizzo. Grrr. Nice to see Jason O'Mara on a hit show for once.

Hell on Wheels is going to be interesting. Even though the lovely Lilly is gone, I'll still have to tune in. I predict more Indian and gov't interference this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Fortunately someone posted a really good screencap on an Airsoft board - http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps8bf86f8b.jpg
    Huh, that's pretty funny. It actually looks better than the majority of Glock Airsofts (which, I might add, seem to have lettering on them the same as the actual Glock), I wonder if they modified one in the prop department a bit to get it looking better, or maybe filled in lettering to avoid trademark issues.

For what it's worth, my mother-in-law is a retired social worker, and she dealt with folks from the hills of Kentucky. During her career she never heard of the gov't check being referred to as the draw.

I don't know what was funnier: Alvin and his tasteful boudouir photos or Ellie Mae's see-thru panties hanging on a hook next to a can of Spaghetti Os.

I'm thinking Ava tipped Ellie Mae off to her possible demise and that's why EM fled. The look of surprise on Ava's when Boyd was on the phone with Colton about offing EM makes me believe that.

I had to wait until Monday morning to catch that episode, DVR had a glitch and couldn't access the last 40 minutes of the episode. I think Ellie Mae just bolted, Ava was willing to kill her herself before. I suspect Colton is an undercover cop now and that's why he was having trouble with all this.