Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    We've had three releases of the A-Wing in the modern line:
    1997 - POTF2
    2002 - Saga with green EU paint job and the incorrect "Arvel Crynyd" pilot figure
    2008 - Legacy Walmart exclusive with correct Arvel Crynyd (Green Leader)

If you are only going to buy one, then the 2008 version is the one to get since it has the most accurate paint applications and the best pilot figure. Hasbro has never "upgraded" the vintage mold with firing missiles or other play features (technically, they downgraded it from the vintage toy, since the electronics have been gutted).
    The 2008 version also has an updated cockpit sculpt.

There are a lot of calls for electronics in this thread. I hope folks keep in mind that's not likely to happen. There hasn't been electronics in $20 vehicles since the Ep 1 Naboo Fighter which was 11 years ago, hasn't been in a $20 OT vehicle since the Snowspeeder in orange box in '96, and hasn't been in a sub-$100 vehicle since the $50 OTC Millennium Falcon in 2004.

(I'm not counting the AT-RT walker from 2005 as electronics, as it had no lights or sounds, just foot-shuffling.)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I would buy a whole squad of new, larger Y-Wings if they made them right. I don't even need electronics. Just the same scale as the CW, more accurate sculpting (within the limitations of scale of course) and better landing gear/droid socket. I'd even say keep the firing torpedo launchers under the cockpit. In fact, I'm betting a number of parts can reasonably carry over to reduce sculpting and manufacturing costs, and it'd be a shoe-in for higher-price-point store exclusives later on.

I would definitely buy an all new Y-wing, as I've still yet to get a single one. The first Target version was impossible to find, the first TRU version wasn't worth the $30 for a ship that is sub-par to its 1983 release, and the TAC version... IIRC, I had trouble finding it and it was never a good time. Oh well. I'd rather have a new version with some unique features rather than another release of the vintage sculpt.

Although a price matching the CW Y-wing would be a no for me. $40 for a new one at most, especially since, unlike the CW version, a large portion of the ship's rear is simply made up of skeletal rigging. And yes, it would have to include a figure at that point - at least they already have a helmet from the POTF2 Cinema Scene.

Not sure what I'd like to see in terms of launching missiles, but at least I would like to see a bomb deployment akin to the TIE Bomber - but with a few more bombs included. I'm fine with it staying a single seater, although they may as well try to go for a double. Of course, the droid slot will need to allow for a droid to dropped in and removed, no more of the permanently attached shenanigans. The only other requirement I'd expect from it is for the rear rigging to be strong. I'm sure they'll want to use a rubbery material to be safe and whatnot, but they should put metal wiring in there like bendy items in order to keep them straight and sturdy.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I think it would be cool if they added a battle damage feature.
    Sort of like the TIE Fighter where you could press a button and the engines would fall off.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

That would be cool!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yeah, it'd be cool until the Y-wing gets a bad case of TIE Fighter Floppy Wing Syndrome.

With the technology they have today, it's actually a shame that we have the 1977 "exploding wing" design.

Luckily for the Y-Wing, it would have to be a new design. I can see two connection points per engine.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    With the technology they have today, it's actually a shame that we have the 1977 "exploding wing" design.

Luckily for the Y-Wing, it would have to be a new design. I can see two connection points per engine.
    Maybe. It would be best if there could be some kind of dual metal posts for each engine, with a close-fitting metal sleeve to receive, and put the whole thing together in such a way that there's the plastic outer "shell" covering both... I know how to picture it, but right now I can't quite put it into words.

Metal post??? No no no, just do retractable plastic tabs in the wing side, ejector pins in either the wing or the engine side, have the whole engine slot over the wing so it can't wilt. Much cheaper and easier to get following safety regs.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Metal post??? No no no, just do retractable plastic tabs in the wing side, ejector pins in either the wing or the engine side, have the whole engine slot over the wing so it can't wilt. Much cheaper and easier to get following safety regs.
    Possibly. My question is, though, will there be too much torsional stress on the pitch axis of the engines? A Y-wing in that scale would probably have pretty rear-heavy engines unless the struts and vectral discs are made super-light.

Eh. I guess I'm just not a fan of spring-loaded anything.