Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Would You Buy A New Original Trilogy Y-Wing?

I am taking a detour from our next scheduled movie to run a vehicle poll from (TPM) in light of the latest Q&A with Hasbro:

JediTempleWarRoom.com: Back in an August 2009 Q&A session Hasbro stated that an upgraded Original Trilogy Y-Wing was in the works for 2010. Might this version finally represent the Grey Squadron from RETURN OF THE JEDI, or could this version be from A NEW HOPE with a mission to "Stay on Target"?

Hasbro: Here we don't have such good news. We had been working on a new Y-Wing, but this was dropped from the plan as retailers decided to scale back on Star Wars exclusives for 2010. We do think that we will have an opportunity for a new version in 2011 or 2012. So the question back to your fans is "which one would you most like to see us do next?" Let us know what folks think.
    This is our final close-out poll for ROTJ. I could have made the poll for ANH, but I have something else planned for that film's final poll.

However, you can vote for a Y-wing from ANH or ROTJ - please specify in your post.

I am not going to stay on the sidelines for this one myself, and strongly support a Grey Leader figure packed in with the ROTJ Y-wing fighter!

The figure is of an Asian-actor pilot I believe, wearing a Gray Squadron uniform and similar to the 1999 Rebel Pilots 3-pack mistake Hasbro dubbed as Arvel Cryynyd - who was a Green Squadron A-wing Pilot as everyone now knows since Hasbro corrected that mistake for the 2009 toy line (Wal-Mart exclusive I think).

The Y-wing? It would be larger than the original mold they've been releasing, and more on the scale of the late Clone Wars Y-wing release, but an all-new sculpt (it has to be). The Y-wing would fire 4 missiles (two from the front nose guns, and 2 from hidden side-of-the-cockpit torpedo tubes). The real ship shot the latter and the front projections were actually laser guns. The cockpit would probably be a 2-seater like the CW version. Perhaps you could put a targeting computer package in the rear seat for ANH scenes. The droid socket would be fully accessable to any astromech droid from the 3 3/4" line.

I think the bomb bay doors should open underneath the ship - similar to how the missiles launchers open up on the top of the new CW Y-wing. But with lower doors, you can carpet bomb. I recommend having at least 4 bombs below - maybe 2 on each side or more, for single-shot release.

I still think the ANH Gold Squadron markings would be fine for this ship even if it came with the ROTJ Gray Leader pilot figure.

What do you think?

Do you want a new OT Y-wing Fighter?

What color scheme would you want on the Y-Wing?

Do you want a pack-in pilot figure? Who?

I honestly think by Hasbro's Q&A answer, that this ship would not be released with a repaint / re-issue in mind. It would be too costly and more obscure than say a new larger Slave-One, which is nearly a main-character's ship whereas Jango / Boba repaints would prove more popular than say Dutch Vander and Gray Leader's ships. (EU retcon's Colonel Horton Salm was Gray Leader, but Salm is an aging, balding white guy, and the movie showed a younger Asian Y-wing pilot with the line "I'm hit!" - though perhaps he was not Gray Leader after all. In any event, I'd rather have the younger Asian pilot that actually appeared in the film (in the correct uniform this time) than Col. Salm - who could be released later as an EU figure from the Rogue Squadron novels and comics.

Anyway - we could be looking at another $70 Y-wing. Would you buy?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yes, I would love an all-new Y-wing. I'd prefer a ROTJ version to get a proper Y-wing pilot figure. I'm not really sure what the differences are between the ANH and ROTJ ships themselves, though.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

When was the last time we got a OT Y-Wing? The last one I bought came in, I want to say, a Black and green box? If I remember, it was just a repackaged Kenner version?

For me to get one, It would have to be a whole new sculpt, more detailed than the last one I got. Figure pack ins don't really appeal to me as a reason to get a ship anymore, you could throw in a Country Fried Jawa, and if the ship is done well enough, I would get it.

Features I would like:
    A cockpit that could fit two people. Could be just a fold down section.
    Stronger support columns.
    An Astromech slot.
    Firing Missles.
    Bomb dropping capability.
    Sound.

Tycho, refresh my memory, did you do the A-Wing yet? I can't remember.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Nope.

I would, however, buy Lanny Mulletman and his droid, Skittles, on cards if they chose to re-release them.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yes, I'd love to have a new old Y-Wing in the same scale as the new Clone Wars version. I'd like to have some coverings and engine parts thrown in for a working on the engines feature. Kids would enjoy that too, I think. Heck, they could use it as battle damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    When was the last time we got a OT Y-Wing? The last one I bought came in, I want to say, a Black and green box? If I remember, it was just a repackaged Kenner version?
    I believe we got one a few years ago didn't we? I think it was a TRU exclusive. But I have been known to make mistakes. From time to time...

I actually think the original mold was one of the few that they got right back in the day. It still holds up well, IMO.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

We did. It was the version that came with the only (so far) release of Lanny Mulletman.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Yes, I would love an all-new Y-wing. I'd prefer a ROTJ version to get a proper Y-wing pilot figure. I'm not really sure what the differences are between the ANH and ROTJ ships themselves, though.
    I checked the DVD after reading that exchange, and could not find a visual difference between the ANH yellow-markings Y-wing and the ROTJ Y-wing. There was very clearly the yellow-markings Y-wing shown in the ROTJ hangar scene. Some motion shots suggested models that had no yellow markings, but some of the ANH motion shots looked the same, so I don't think it's definitive.

I need to talk this one out before deciding, as I'm not sure. On the one hand, we have a Y-wing. On the other, that Y-wing has flimsy landing gear, a boring cockpit that wastes rear space, no droid slot, middling detail sculpting, no chin guns, scale issues, and an uninspiring bomb gimmick. But what would I do with a new Y-wing that addressed all those issues? (And that's not what Hasbro was talking about doing.) It would look better next to the CW Y-wing. It would scale a little better to the large X-wing and the rest of the rebel fighters, as well as the BMF. But it would be expensive, and it's not really meant to be an exciting fighter, it's the old guard ship that isn't as slick as the X-wing.

I guess, yes, I would get it if it was all-new, but that's on the bubble. If they included the removable paneling shown in Incredible Cross Sections, I'd be all for it (it's quite different from the CW Y-wing).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If it was all-new and larger, then yes I would get one. I'd prefer it to come with a Grey Squadron pilot from ROTJ.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for that link, JT. I thought I remembered seeing a pic somewhere of the Y-Wing as it originally looked, prior to being cobbled together and re-imagined for the cartoon. I guess these are seen to be two different models now?

One thing has bugged me: wasn't the Y-Wing supposed to be sorta old hat when the Clone Wars rolled around, according to the original backstory?
    Tommy, close your eyes.