Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wasn't killing off Chewie Lucas' idea? If so, then it's not a great example to use for why EU sucks and how Lucas himself could do better.

Yeah, actually it was. For several years before that book came out, writers would have Chewie conveniently visiting family on Kashyyyk for entire books at a time because no one knew what to do with him. RA Salvatore had signed on to do the first New Jedi Order novel, and almost backed out when he learned he had to kill off Chewbacca.

For bad EU, better examples are Jacen Solo turning into a Sith Lord (and anything else with "Legacy" in the title), Boba Fett coming back from the dead and serving as Dengar's best man, and Wuher grinding up Greedo's corpse and using it to create a drink for Jabba. (I cannot believe no one's scanned in the awesome image of Greedo's funeral yet!)
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 05-07-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Valentino View Post
    I would rather see a hundred variations of "R2 Come Home" with the voices of Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels than any attempt to slavishly adapt Heir to the Empire. Mara Jade! Dude, It's not canon, it's just product.
    Mara Jade product? Have you seen the Prequals? Mara Jade was created during the "Dead" years of Star Wars, Zahn had no idea of the gold mine he was writing. The Prequals, on the other hand, are nothing but Product. Eye candy with no heart who's sole purpose is to sell merchandise.

"I had fought the worst of all wars, and witnessed the redemption of evil. I've seen balance restored to the Force. But order can turn to chaos… as it did when I was born. Now, with my loved ones and my loyal allies, I face a new challenge unlike any before. And I'm not sure if this time we can win." ―Luke Skywalker reflecting on the Yuuzhan Vong threat (!)
    Serious EU Fanboys have poor taste.
    "If Obi-Wan caught me doing that, he would be very grumpy." -Anakin Skywalker, reflecting on that playing with his food would tick Obi-Wan off.

Compared to the writing in the prequals, The Vong series might as well be Great Expectations.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Agreed Metalmute...

I honestly consider The Clone Wars to be canon over the prequel movies.

El Chuxter

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Chewbacca sacrificed himself to save Anakin Solo by forcing Han to take him when there was only room to save one.
    Well, it's still a stupid idea. Unless Han was flying an X-Wing fighter, and Anakin Solo was already sitting on his lap, there should have been room for one more.

But the Falcon was already full of the refugees Han, Chewie, and Anakin were trying to get off-world. And the world was disintegrating due to the forces of gravity far more quickly than any of them anticipated.

I'm not defending, just saying how it went down.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Valentino View Post
    I honestly consider The Clone Wars to be canon over the prequel movies.
    After watching the three most recent episodes of CW, I would be inclined to agree with you.

still haven't seen any of the clone wars beyond the movie. have season 1 sitting on my shelf, but just haven't gotten to it. some weekend when i have nothing going on i'll crank out most of it. but that's not gonna happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    But the Falcon was already full of the refugees
    After sitting out so many EU books celebrating "Life Day" with his family, Chewie must have forgotten to remind Han about those smuggler's compartments. Or the space within the top hatch. Or one of the two gunner stations. Or the maintanance compartment where Han got hit in the head with the tray of hydrospanners. Or the escape pod. Plus, don't I remember Chewie fixing something on the Falcon while she was in hyperspace in one of those Timothy Zahn EU novels? If memory serves, he was wearing only a breather mask? I'd prefer an uncomfortable, white knuckled ride on the outside of the ship to a planet being dropped on me...

A better death would have been for him to finally fulfill his life debt to Han (also EU!)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chewie_fresh.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	22968  

It's been a while since I read it, but I believe Chewie jumped off the boarding ramp and threw Anakin onto the ship while ship was in flight. They tried to get him up, but the winds from the moon crashing down kept knocking Chewie down, and the Falcon away from him.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-