Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool Another Star Wars Toon? - Post RotJ!!

Steve Sansweet dropped a tease at C2E2 that there may yet be one more Star Wars animated series coming soon to a galaxy near you. This time taking place after Return of the Jedi. Ain't It Cool News has the full news. But here's the various comments from Steve Sansweet from the possible upcoming animated series. Man, I hope this is true!

From IGN:
    During the Q&A section of the panel, a fan said, "I would really love to see new adventures after Jedi with our favorite characters Luke, Han and Leia," to which Sansweet replied, "And you will, in the new animation."
    From Best Of Luck Productions:
    Steve Sansweet confirmed at C2E2 that LucasFilm plans to revisit the original cast of characters from Star Wars in post Return of the Jedi adventures.

However, it will be in the same animated format as The Clone Wars series running today.
    Oh, there was one ominous thing he said though... not everyone who dies in sci-fi stays dead. He continued by stating we'll see what he means in 3 to 4 years.
    http://www.bestofluckproductions.com/?q=node/603
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I assume the "Dead" character or characters that are being referred to is most likely....

Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sideous. If they decide to adapt the whole Clone Emporer thing.

And Boba Fett. Even though Lucas and I agree that Boba Fett died in the Sarlaac.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I appreciate your return and your enthusiasm, but aside from the official, confirmed comments - the OT characters may appear in the animation - there's no real news here. He's only talking about the show that was officially announced a few weeks ago, as discussed in its own thread.

He means Bob A. Fett, I'm sure. You can't throw a gundark without hitting the guy these days.

As for the rest, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm not really surprised. They've driven the figure line into the EU carp pile so why not do it with the really good idea of a cartoon?
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I have given this some thought and talked it over with JediTricks on the phone.

When the Clone Wars have run their course, I would like a new CLASSIC Star Wars cartoon show to help offset the imbalnce of a full library of prequel-based animations versus OT offerings.

However, the Clone Wars have set the tone for what kind of SW show attracts a kid-audience: lots of Jedi waving around those flashy-sword-things and using The Force.

OK.

Now you have the classic hero characters that are essential: Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, Lando, Wedge, Admiral Ackbar. Add Mara Jade and Talon Karrde from the EU. A new hero character (like Ahsoka or Rex) could be added to intensify interest in the story.

Adversaries available (like Dooku, Ventress, Grievous, Cad Bane, etc) include (from the OT Expanded Universe pantheon): Ysanne Isaard, Baron Fel, Kir Kanos, Admiral Daala, and Boba Fett (still around after escaping the Sarlaac). A main baddy is needed, but whether the Clone Emperor or Grand Admiral Thrawn are available, depends upon when the story is set. A new "main baddy" could be easily invented and help the storyline along a lot.

Kid coming-of-age characters like Ahsoka and Boba Fett in the CW series include Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo (depending upon when this storyline is set).

I think the Jedi Academy Era (after Dark Empire and the Heir To The Empire series) is the best time to set an OT SW cartoon.

Options for it are:

1) During the Trilogy - you can't go before ANH and have Luke doing anything, so it has to be after Episode IV. But this era has been done to death in the comics and books.

2) Shadows of the Empire - it's been done, though I'd love to see it animated as a fan.

3) Rogue Squadron - you really need more Jedi. I personally love RS as "Tycho," but I don't think it's the best option here.

4) Dark Empire - it has possibilities, like Luke on the Dark Side.

5) Heir to the Empire - An animated Thrawn would be loved by all I'm sure. Seeing Mara in action would also be great and the cast of characters brought in by Timothy Zhan was amazing. Still - if you like it you can read the book. But this one could really work.

6) Jedi Academy Era - OK - this was discussed above and it's the best option because of multiple Jedi like CW.

7) New Jedi Order - I'd so love to see this animated. The comic series (Invasion) is everything I wanted - except that I want even more! As a fan, I'm all for this. However, it may not re-introduce traditional Star Wars, although with Imperial co-operation in the face of galactic invasion, you might see New Jedi fighting alongside stormtrooper clones versus biologicals versus droids, so it would play similarly. And the comic series is already started for marketing.

8) Legacy - Let's not trample on the books, but we can go ahead to the future with Ben Skywalker and the adventures of his son, Cole, as he's grown up beyond the current novel series (Cade Skywalker's father).

I think choice number 6 above,or 7 if you want to chance it, work the best.

Discussion?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I felt that Shadows had really made something special out of a limited amount of time, but gave very little room for additional storytelling, there's just not as much to say in that ESB to ROTJ timeline now, the Rebs mass, the Imps rebuild, the Bothans spy. Also, the Rebellion goes underground, that's not going to make for exciting TV, although I should think it'd make for better novels (if you can get around the earliest ANH to ESB to ROTJ materials out there).

I actually might like to see stories about the early Rebellion, the academy, Luke's time on Tatooine growing up (though not the "Wormie" version that Lucas shoehorned into the script late in preproduction on ANH). I'm not sure they could carry a whole series, but an anthology might work. Biggs jumping ship to join the rebellion, Han leaving the Empire to go be a pirate, Leia being a senator while sneaking around for the Rebellions, there's fertile ground for an anthology. In some ways, that era is the EASIEST one for the OT to mine this way, the characters aren't as established as they'll become from ANH on. Heck, between Han & Chewie being pirates, Han in the Empire, Biggs and Luke flying T-16s, Biggs at the academy, Leia in the senate being a spy, Galen Marek's activities, Lando and the Falcon, Han getting the Falcon, and various other maneuverings, that sounds like an anthology series that could easily fill 2 seasons right there - and I hadn't even mentioned the last of the Jedi being swept out by the Stormtroopers that we caught glimpses of in The Force Unleashed! It just may not appeal to kids though, and that's a huge problem - can Lucasfilm figure out a way to make an animated pre-ANH series that can tell extended stories to just fans? Probably not, there's less money in the idea, but there may be accolades and Lucasfilm could use them for Lucas Animation to move forward in the industry after Clone Wars.

I agree that Rogue Squadron is not a great choice. There are lots of tales and characters and actions, but they don't feel as broad, they don't feel as important in animation I think. They exist in the comics best, a mix of action and storytelling that suggests more than the stories can deliver.

Dark Empire doesn't exist. Sorry, nope, that mistake was never made, I refuse to admit it exists.

Zahn's era is fertile, has great use of main characters, adds just the right number of new characters. I'm not sure main characters can be the focus of a cartoon after ANH though, they're not as exciting on a daily basis IMO once you've seen their biggest moments. How can Luke live up to ESB and ROTJ saber battles on a weekly basis?

I can't speak to NJO, I haven't familiarized myself that much with it, it didn't hold much appeal to me personally. I don't find the Vong's look or tech to be particularly engaging though, it works better written than seen.

Legacy has a mountain of room to grow as a cartoon, it's almost best suited for that type of storytelling. It can go in any and every direction at once, it has familiar characters but not too limited. It has flashback value. It has imp forces and tons of disposable Sith. Pirates and political intrigue and the Force and lots of gray areas. But there are tons of pitfalls too, without vision at the reins, it'll go off the rails quickly, and a lot of the intrigue in the early comics seemed to me to be above the heads of a younger audience.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The problem with doing a post ROTJ series is that so many of the major characters are EU and unknown by most kids. No child is going to want to see Chewie die.

Clone Wars is perfect because it takes place between two movies so the majority of the characters are known. Ashoka and Rex are the only major newcomers while others from the comics are sprinkled in here and there.

Instead of a TV show, why not do short films like the Clone Wars movie that was at the theaters? The script is already there in the novels just follow the books and you will have a hit.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    The problem with doing a post ROTJ series is that so many of the major characters are EU and unknown by most kids. No child is going to want to see Chewie die.

Clone Wars is perfect because it takes place between two movies so the majority of the characters are known. Ashoka and Rex are the only major newcomers while others from the comics are sprinkled in here and there.

Instead of a TV show, why not do short films like the Clone Wars movie that was at the theaters? The script is already there in the novels just follow the books and you will have a hit.
    What????? Chewie dies????? Next you're going to tell me that Santa's not real...