Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I bought the Vader and C-3PO cases from the OTC line, but since the two sides fold onto each other, it didn't seem like it would be very good in keeping the weapons in their place. I still have the vintage vinyl case with the two trays that I keep my vintage figures in.

I bought a bunch of particle wood CD/DVD sized "card catalogue" drawers about two years ago. They are 13 inches cubed, and can lock into each other to make a very secure stack. Each 13 inch unit is configured either 4 drawers (2 x 2) or 3 (shorter) drawers high. I keep my Galactic Heroes, Indiana Jones Adventure Heroes, Playmates Star Trek and Galoob Micro Collection in these, as well as a few more drawers of "space" and "robot" type toys. I try to store the figures standing up, but packed pretty tightly. Also all my custom supplies (paints, mold-making materials, and sculpting resins) and some electronics live there...

Honestly, I feel like a fool for so much of the waste in my life. The money spent since 1995, the hours spent hunting, the gas and mileage. All for what? Yes I enjoyed the hobby, but probably too much. The days I do look forward to passing all my carded figures to my son to play with but then I feel like I am spoiling him or that others think I am a bad parent for spoiling him. I have way more items sitting in boxes never opened that I ever recieved to play with as a child and as I child I thought I had everything, except for the death star anyway. I feel like tossing everything but then feel I will regret it, feel like selling it to see what crumbs I can get back but then think I would get more fun watching them being played with than getting .99 a figure. Of course my kid only has two hands, and most of the figures are not assosciated with "Clone Wars" which I enjoy watching with my kid. hmmm... I really dont know what to do but I can definitely say I am tired of the boxes in my garage and tired of the fear that if I dont buy it now I may never see it retail again, which in fact has happened to me countless times. I feel that I have placed too much of my life into this and have missed out on a great many things I could have done otherwise. Right now I am considering whether or not to do celebration V with my son. Is it really worth it to me, I want to, but at what cost. It really ****es my off that it will be in Orlando of all places, whose damned idea was that, its CV or Disneyworld, not both, who can afford that in this economy. Oh well, the honest truth is that back in the 90's when I returned all of my action fleet before the return period was up that I just should have stop the figures as well. I think the biggest issue for me as time progressed was that I felt that I was so invested in it that it would wrong to stop and have only a partial collection, well, I think now that as long as hasbro is in business that we all will only have partial collections so why not just stop now, well except for tycho anyway.

Nohagent, when you feel like that, it's time to downsize and pick a section you want to focus on. What you do is you pick a few favorites from your current selection, a limited display area, and sell the rest. I think everyone who's done that feels while they're doing it that it's insanely hard, but honestly? Once that stuff's gone, you love the hobby and yourself lot more.

nohagent, I have totally been where you are. Overwhelmed and depressed by my collection. I even did a thread about it, which I think I called "are you ever depressed by your collection" or something.

I bought an overwhelming amount of stuff between '95 and '02. It was not a happy time in my life. I put all of my resources and free time into collecting. But I have stopped beating myself up about that because I realize that I would have been unhappy whether I was collecting or not. At least this way I came out of it with some toys I really like as opposed to having abused alcohol or drugs, dropped out of school, broken the law or hurt myself. Luckily I never went into debt for my collection, which would be hard to be dealing with now.

I probably reduced my collection by at least 50%. I stopped being a completist. If I get new figures, I try to get rid of some others. I am an opener. It was all very liberating and once again allowed me to enjoy the hobby.

People can do whatever is right for them, but I think it is a mistake to take an all or nothing approach - I'll buy everything or stop buying new product all together. I'll keep it all or throw it all in the trash.

Weeding it out selectively can actually be fun.

And as mentioned, some people pick either the original trilogy or prequels to focus on. Some pick one film. Some do only clones, aliens, or droids. Focusing can be a good way to really enjoy what you have in your collection.

Some people collect art, some people buy expensive motorcycles, a few thousand dollars is all lost to time, like tears in rain. I think that I'm going to continue to collect the Galactic Heroes scale, and I'll probably try to complete the figure collection, if not the vehicles. The plan is to someday hang large, shallow shelving units on a blank wall, and display the Galactic Heroes and Playmates Classic 60's Star Trek collection in an open curio box. Maybe when I buy a house of my own, which I might have done by now if I had prioritized my effort/energy differently lo these past ten years...

You can only lament the past for so long. To paraphrase the Jedi - Keep your thoughts here and now where they belong. If you feel this has become less of a hobby and more of a burden, then obviously something went wrong and you need to make a change.

As Droid said, you can pick one area you like best and focus on it. The other day I met a guy working at the flea market who was saying how he only collects troopers now and enjoys it a lot more. A friend of mine used to collect but had to stop when it got to be too much, but he says he wants to someday focus on getting a set of the vintage figures as there's already a set number of them and it's a goal that can be accomplished.

If you're worried about not being able to get some items back if you regret it, cruise eBay a bit and see how cheap some once-valuable things now are (I finally got the 2003 Super Poseable Clone Trooper, sans foot pegs, for $6 after years of seeing it for over $30). If you get rid of stuff and later regret it, it can likely be easily re-purchased. You could also check to see what's more rare or valuable in your own collection, and see if that helps you to keep it.

When they were pumping out the EU stuff left and right over the last few years, the thought of not getting everything crossed my mind. Luckily for me, though, the EU stuff is basically done after the TRU exclusives, so that means I AM going to stop getting so much of that. But I'd hate for this to ever feel like a chore rather than a hobby, and if it does, then I would have to rethink it.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

[FONT=Courier New]When I started collecting hardcore back in late 2005, my goal was to assemble a plastic, 3 3/4" clone army collection and at the end of 2009, "mission accomplished".[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I bought multiple vehicles as well: JSF's in every color, multiple V Wings, V 19's, ARC-170's, Republic Gunships, etc. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]And I always purchased them with the intent to give them to my nephews (and future nieces and my own children) and keep a portion for display when my wife and I have a large enough house to not get in her way or overtake the more public areas of the house.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Now that my oldest nephew (sister's kid) has just turned 5, I have started to "bequeath" my clone army away. For his birthday a couple weeks ago he got an unopened Republic Fighter Tank. It was 1 of the 6 that I bought last year, and another one is at my mom and dad's so that the grandkids have cool stuff to play with when they visit. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I am hoping that I bought enough vehicles and clones so that if/when my 2 brothers and my wife's 2 brothers all have kids, there will be enough of "Uncle Andy's collection" to go around. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I have all but moved on to Lego's and Galactic Heroes at this point. They're more fun to me and the collecting aspect is less cutthroat and all.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I still plan on getting a new AT-AT (and the rumored Slave I), but if I don't, I won't feel too bad. There's other stuff I could and should spend my money on (like my wife), instead of my plastic armies that I keep in storage in my basement that I never get to look at (by choice).[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]The last two times I got (almost) everything (vehicles) out to show to a friend's son on his birthday, and to photograph, it took an entire Saturday to haul up, unpack, assemble, display, break down, put away, haul back down. The next time I do that it will be to set up semi-permanently. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    People can do whatever is right for them, but I think it is a mistake to take an all or nothing approach - I'll buy everything or stop buying new product all together. I'll keep it all or throw it all in the trash.
    100% agree. I've never really understood the "all or nothing" approach to collecting. Seems like that would suck all the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby quicker than anything else.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I agree as well. The 'all or nothing' approach didnt work for me after a few years....went the niche route......i pretty much focus on OTC.....
    Real men buy Willrow