Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Would You Buy The Rebel Medical Frigate From ESB?

I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this The Rebel Medical Frigate From ESB?).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Rebel Medical Frigate From ESB?

This is one of the craziest offerings Hasbro could ever make for a capital ship. It's probably a very bad idea but I need to poll for it, and try to determine how I'd design it to be as cool as possible.

I started by figuring out what's essential for this ship:

1) It will need clear-stands to support itself. That's the only way. The 12" Collection's Target Exclusive Speederbike was made this way. It can be done. The "whoosh factor" (of a "flyable" ship) is completely lost on the Nebulon-B frigate design - but in defense of that - probably no one "flies" their BMF either. Yes it's more of a playset - but this poll is about vehicles that will at least look like the actual ship from their exterior.

There are 3 key scenes on the Nebulon-B Medical Frigate in the movie and the ship needs to fulfill these (reasons 2 and 3 and 4 follow).

2) In the back of the ship, it's entirety must open (via a side pannel) for at least one big room. Add the POTJ Deluxe Bacta Tank set and a hospital bed for 2-1B to play doctor at, and have the closing pannel feature the big window that Luke and Leia are standing at. Now you can operate on Luke's hand. Also the Nebulon-Bs were widely used by the Empire. Maybe for alternate play you can add the "Build Darth Vader" Deluxe Set to do repairs after big battles like in The Force Unleashed.

3) a boarding tunnel needs to connect to the Millennium Falcon. Unfortunately, I don't see this as being feasible. Certainly not with the BMF which was not designed for it. A retooling and re-release of the 1979 KENNER Falcon mold could include a docking module that replaces the gunner station for just such a use. Sure you could do that with the BMF, but making the Nebulon-B big enough is never going to happen, in my opinion. You might just get away with this with a 6 foot long Medical Frigate stood on clear stands, over the 1979 Falcon.

4) Firing missiles. Every kid loves bright red plastic. In ROTJ, the Nebulon-B was shown defending itself as it broadsides with a star destroyer. Some rotating "Rebel guns" like the blockade runner has could be scaled down and added to the ship.

Probably last on my list, but essential - though not shown in the movie - every ship needs a bridge. A small removeable pannel area in the front could reveal seats for 3 - Tantive IV cockpit style. Rebel troopers and some one made in Madine's style could command this ship.

If you want this vehicle made as well, I think you should describe how you envision it.

So do you want The Rebel Medical Frigate From ESB made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

What do you think it would cost?

Are you going to buy it / make a space in your collection for it?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Noooooooo.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I'd like to say yes, but there's no way.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Oh what fun, a giant ship that does nothing in the movies except allow our heroes to stand around brooding about their defeats. Like an ant, it's also designed to be impossible to exist at this or any larger scale. That should make a great purchase.

That, for the cheap seats, was a "no".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It would have to be able to hold 4 X-wings and a B-Wing. It should have a loading dock that can connect to the BMF.
    In other words, no.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

It would probably have to be at least $100 to be made exciting, and most likely wouldn't work. However, if Hasbro got a wild hair and made it, I'd like the sides of the front hull to lower down. There could be several levels to put figures on the ship itself, and then the lowered panels would sit on the floor and have an Endor terrain. The rear hull could have a Rebel war room, even though it wasn't used as such during ROTJ, and pop-out cannons.

Realistically, though, I don't think it would do well, and oddly I doubt I'd buy it unless it looked like a great replica when all sealed up. But! If they wanted to bring Collector Fleet back, it would be the first Rebel ship I would demand.

...still need to get ahold of the Titanium version...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I know I'm never going to hear the end of this but YES !!! this is one of my favorite capital ships from the OTC and would love to have one for my very own.

I currently have the micro machine version as well as the WOTC version from Starship Battles.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I would buy it, and here's why...

The Medical Frigate is a cool "Mothership" where characters can have meetings, receive medical care, etc...She has that interesting long design that could accommodate smaller ships of various sizes to "dock" without actually having to be physically large enough to feature a cargo hold to fit the Falcon.

I envision a greatly scaled down playset, with a small bridge, a medical bay (with bay window), and a small breifing/meetng room in the rear engine section.

As you can see in my picture, I would cut the bottom 1/2 off of the ship, for ease of display/play...

These are toys for kids and adults to play with, right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MedFrig.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	22926  
    Last edited by Fat Valentino; 04-30-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Clarification

That's a very cool photoshop FV, but still looks like a super lousy toy to me. It's got nothing really going on even in the photoshop job you have there. You did a good job scaling the movie scene characters against the Falcon and figures on the ground, but there's only room in the front for about 5 more figures in the front half there. The center is a very thin tube. The rear is a box. And it's STILL dwarfing the Falcon which was a $60 pricepoint on its last run, which would make this Nebulon-B Frigate toy at least $250. For a ship that was in the movies only briefly and passively.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm loving Valentino's picture.

His image gave me the idea of having 2 removeable panels for the front of the ship - both the scenes in the medical bay (with Luke and Leia and the droids as FV shows) and the bridge.

That opens up new possibilities for play features in the rear of the ship.

Yes, JT: the ship might very well be $250.

I paid $119 for SideShow Jabba the Hutt and about $199 for his throne environment from SSC, as well as $40 each for Salacious and Bubo battlepacks respectively (from SSC) for about $400 altogether for my SideShow Jabba diorama, not including other figures that belong in the scene like Bib Fortuna.

So would I spend up to $400 for something cool for Star Wars? Already have.

If you own the BMF ($150) and TurboTank ($100) and AT-TE ($100) and a Corporate Alliance Tank Droid and a V-wing - you've spent $390 right there. Perhaps you got stuff on sale? Perhaps you could get a Rebel Medical Frigate ($250) on sale?

Price might not be the question. Display space? Well, I guess the thing in FV picture would be about 6 feet long? When they make the first captial ship that's 6 feet long - many of us will try to jump on buying it. This might prove less tempting as a collection rolls forward: Imperial Star Destroyer....Acclamator Class Star Destroyer....Republic Star Destroyer...Expanded Universe New Republic Star Destroyer (repaint)...etc. However, you can remove your home furniture before you say "absolutely no! Not another one!"

I would.

I really want:

the blockade runner (as much as I love my custom)
    an Imperial Star Destroyer
    a Republic Star Destroyer
    The Invisible Hand
    The Trade Federation Droid Control Ship

and would only be buying:

a Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
    the Rebel Medical Frigate

if they were the first produced in a line like this.

Note everything listed is AFTER I have Jabba The Hutt's Sailbarge. Big as it may be - it's not for a CAPITAL ship collection and needs to be made right away!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.