Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SSG's Monthly Hasbro Q&A - June 2nd

Is the upcoming Boba Fett at all new? Find out in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for June 2nd, 2010.

Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of June 2nd, 2010

SSG: At Toy Fair, you revealed a Boba Fett figure for the Vintage Collection. There is some confusion about this figure though. The carded sample shows the Evolutions ESB version, while the in-booth display shows the 2004 vintage-style ROTJ figure. In a recent Q&A answer, Boba was left off of your list of Greatest Hits repacks, which would lead one to believe he has been updated in some way similarly to how the Vader figure is not on the Greatest Hits list because it has been changed a little. Has this TVC Boba Fett indeed been changed, and if so, how? If not, then which version will see release?

Hasbro: The sculpt is the same ESB sculpt from the Evolutions pack, but we have improved the deco to match our recent fact-finding visit to the Lucasfilm Archives. While it is not a new tool, we should have really considered it a "Greatest Hits" when we made that list because we don't consider relatively small deco changes alone enough to consider a figure a must-have, all new purchase. Sorry about that. For the Fett-ishists among the fans, we hope that this one is an improvement in detail over previous versions.

SSG: As you now know, the recent Commander Cody figure has left the factory with his belt upside-down, an occurrence which has proved far too common over the last 5 years of ROTS phase 2 trooper armor figures. This is a relatively small thing, but common enough that it warrants asking about. Would it be possible for you to redesign the trooper belt system so that there was some sort of offset notch or directional block which forces assembly on the belts to work only in the proper orientation? That way, the factory workers wouldn't need to see the visual minutiae that defines the belt as right-side-up or not. On a similar note, many later uses of the R4-G9 tooling (such as R2-T0 and the recent battle pack R2-D2) seem to be assembled asymmetrically so the center foot rests at too shallow an angle thus incapable of standing flat, perhaps caused by a very slight mismatch or variance cavity to cavity. Could something be redesigned in the foot to ensure the correct angle and range of travel for the center ankle joint?

Hasbro: We did not know about the Commander Cody issue - thanks for bringing it to our attention. Your suggestions are good to improve both the belt issue as well as the R4-G9 issue. These are small details, but we agree they can be niggling. Thanks for the thoughts and bringing our attention to the Cody issue.

- -

Due to a mixup, the set of questions for our affiliate site were lost. Hasbro is going to try to answer them as soon as possible.

Eh, I'm not really a fan of that Evolutions Boba Fett. His helmet is just too tiny in proportion to his body.

That's cool that we were able to clue them in on the R4-G9 middle leg problems. Again, I refuse to buy anymore astromechs based on that mold until the issue is corrected or they move on to a more accurate astromech body.

Anyways, this is a question from Sandtroopers.com and I get a little annoyed when they are worded in such a disrespectful way. As if people forget just what a big favor Hasbro is doing for us fans by even having these Q&As;

2) You claim that the comic packs were canceled due to lack of sales. Did you ever think that creating characters from lackluster stories told during the silly Marvel Comics days, and using inferior molds of characters and painting them in stupid day glow colors to match the printing done back then had ANYTHING to do with that? The ONLY comic packs that I've ever seen "pegwarming" have been the packs based on the Marvel Comics stories. ANY pack that contained newly sculpted figures based on ANYTHING that Dark Horse released would FLY off the shelves in my area. Perhaps if you stuck with the more current Dark Horse style stories and newly sculpted figures the line would have sold better. I'd really like to see the comic packs return, they were a great way to get some figures out of the normal realm, and everybody knows that we can always use those types of characters.
    Besides, it's just more of that ridiculous, "these figures are pegwarming where I live, so that MUST be what it's like in the rest of the country and Hasbro is just a bunch of liars!" Seriously, though, when are people going to realize that what's happening within the 100 miles radius around their house is not necessarily indicative of national sales trends?

Plus, sales numbers are only a part of the story. What's just as important is production numbers. If Hasbro makes 100,000 Owen Lars figures and 500,000 Darth Maul figures, then they completely sell out on Owen Lars and sell 300,000 Darth Mauls, leaving 200,000 pegwarming Sith Lords across the country. They've still made 3 times more money on that Darth Maul figure in comparison to the Owen.

The Sandtroopers.com question was embarassing to read......I am not a fan of that site as they come across like a bunch of holier-than-thou types......I seriously hope they get removed off the Q&A in the future......we dont need people like that representing 'fans'

I propose a new rule to the questions from this site: 500 words or less
    Real men buy Willrow

There were a few other questions like the one from Sandtroopers. They're whiny and disrespectful and show us all in a bad light; thankfully, the questions from this site are nothing like that.

It's good to have confirmation on the Boba issue, but now I'll have to see side-by-side comparison shots to see whether I want the new one or not. I already have the Evolutions one and the vibrant Droid Factory repaint, so I dunno about a third one if it's only slightly different.

I don't know HOW they couldn't have known about the Cody thing - the most obvious note being that the lightsaber plugs into the opposite side, and the colors are mismatched, meaning something is clearly off. Oh well.

Jedi Insider's Q&A threw the recent Clone Wars rumor lists into doubt:
    JI: Now that the season 2 finale for the Clone Wars animated series has come and gone, can you tell us if a new Boba Fett figure for Clone Wars will be released soon?

Hasbro: A new Clone Wars Boba Fett figure is in the works. However, it will be available only in a very special pack later this Fall…stay tuned for info that will be released at Celebration V.
    Another site confirmed Shaak Ti, who was also on the lists. I wonder if Boba will be coming with the Slave I? I have to think so, unless they're doing some sort of bounty hunter battle pack; there was also the rumor of those two-packs with Anakin, Grievous, and Boba mentioned, but I have no idea what those could entail.

For it to be very special, I think it would have to be with Slave 1. Unless they recreate the Executor scene with clone wars figures. Young Boba, Young Boosk, IG-86, 3-Lom, and Zuckuss in diapers.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Eh, I'm not really a fan of that Evolutions Boba Fett. His helmet is just too tiny in proportion to his body.
    Actually, it's not. Check out these pics:
    esb - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain.jpg
    rotj - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain2.jpg
    You can see that the helmet on the real deal isn't as wide as the collar plate of the armor, I have both VOTC and Evo Fett on my desk right now (can't decide which I like better) and the helmet width is the same. If anything, my complaint about the Evo figure is that the helmet is too tall, doesn't look right. I don't like the stretched proportions if the visor, and I think the length takes away from the flare as it tapers down. (My other issues with the Evo are that it seems a little tall for Boba, and the head can't dip down at all despite that being a famous Boba pose.)

That's cool that we were able to clue them in on the R4-G9 middle leg problems. Again, I refuse to buy anymore astromechs based on that mold until the issue is corrected or they move on to a more accurate astromech body.
    They need to move on, the R4-G9 was a good mold for its time, but the panels are sunken in, the dome has some proportional issues, it's too tall, and it's missing the "shoulder" spacers. But the reality is they will keep using it, so they better fix this situation.

Anyways, this is a question from Sandtroopers.com and I get a little annoyed when they are worded in such a disrespectful way. As if people forget just what a big favor Hasbro is doing for us fans by even having these Q&As;
    I read that about 20 mins ago and felt the same way. There was another site that had a different question that seemed pretty disrespectful as well. I don't get that sentiment, as if Hasbro is somehow doing us wrong by trying to satisfy as many of us as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by AmanaMatt View Post
    The Sandtroopers.com question was embarassing to read......I am not a fan of that site as they come across like a bunch of holier-than-thou types......I seriously hope they get removed off the Q&A in the future......we dont need people like that representing 'fans'

I propose a new rule to the questions from this site: 500 words or less
    Well, they do represent a subset of fans. I guess Hasbro should know that some fans are perpetually annoyed that they aren't getting things going their way. "More Marvel!" "Less Marvel!" If they don't hear everybody's opinion, they won't know which way to look, how to balance out that sort of thing next time.

Also, our questions are often the longest and run on the large side around 250 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I don't know HOW they couldn't have known about the Cody thing - the most obvious note being that the lightsaber plugs into the opposite side, and the colors are mismatched, meaning something is clearly off. Oh well.
    Because it's a belt, they are small and looks alright at first glance.

Jedi Insider's Q&A threw the recent Clone Wars rumor lists into doubt:
    You think that's bad? TNI decided to ask a specific confirmation on a RS rumor list of 6 figures, Hasbro shot down 5.

Another site confirmed Shaak Ti, who was also on the lists. I wonder if Boba will be coming with the Slave I? I have to think so, unless they're doing some sort of bounty hunter battle pack; there was also the rumor of those two-packs with Anakin, Grievous, and Boba mentioned, but I have no idea what those could entail.
    My guess is Boba will be coming with Slave I, just because if it were in a Slave I-timed battle pack, it would still be just a battle pack and not "special".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    You think that's bad? TNI decided to ask a specific confirmation on a RS rumor list of 6 figures, Hasbro shot down 5.
    And they have already released a picture of the Emperor, so guess which five are not coming.

Looks like the Rebel Transport is a no-go ever. I don't know why they left a sliver of hope for the other two.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Hasbro: A new Clone Wars Boba Fett figure is in the works. However, it will be available only in a very special pack later this Fall…stay tuned for info that will be released at Celebration V.
    it'll be father's day 2-pack part dos with jango & boba and be completely underwhelming

They said a definitive No to updating the "rebel troop transport". Is that a mistaken referance to the Rebel Transport starship, or the fictionalised troop carrier thing that was in the vintage line? And if its the latter does that mean they will never make the Echo Base troop carrier? I really hope not..and I don't see how that is any more 'obscure' than the troop carrier in the Scramble on Yavin set.

Disappointing but not entirely surprising news from Toyarc.com:

Q) The footage from Toy Fair had an awesome Vader funeral pyre set with Luke and a torch. Was this a custom just made for display at Toy Fair, or is it an actual battle pack or item for 2010?

A) This was shown at Comic Con 2009, and was a concept figure set that we had been working on. For the set to be produced, we have to find a retail partner who would be willing to take a chance on it as an exclusive, but so far, this has not materialized and most retailers have passed. While the idea is not dead, it's not looking good at this point that it will ever come out.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.