Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you ever freeze your action figures?

Especially after seeing ESB and ROTJ, when I was a kid I used to freeze all my figures. I'd put them in clear cups and glasses, fill them with water, and put them in the freezer. This I found fascinating. I don't even remember extracting them from the freezing process, in fact I think I left 1 in the freezer for months at a time it was so nifty. I think I knew it was wrecking the paint and joints, but it was too interesting to avoid freezing them.

Come to think of it, just now I remembered too, after seeing ESB, I remember playing in the freezer frost as if it were Hoth. Growing up in SoCal, that was the only snow action we were to enjoy. I think it was a lot of Star Wars and GI Joe guys in the freezer having arctic adventures. Thankfully, my grandma had an old freezer that didn't self-defrost.

So, anybody else freeze their action figures as a kid?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yes, but not for longer than a day. Except for the Ugnaught I took out in the snow and found several weeks later.

Nowadays, I freeze only to loosen the glue for customizing.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Not as a kid, tho I had an Iceman figure in the early-mid 90's that was clear with some goofy frosting on him that you had to put in the freezer to make the frosting stuff turn blue
    Iso&Baws&Topes
    Someone stole him from my appartment for some reason
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Now that you mention that, I seem to recall a few other figures that required cold water for a color change, and I'd stick them in the freezer for a few hours to get a really noticeable change. I can't for the life of me think of who those figures were, though.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

There was an invisible woman toy from some "happy meal pack in" type thing several years ago that used the "technology" as well, but I am drawing a blank on any more
    Iso&Baws&Topes
    Nope, still nothing
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

I used to freeze my figures all the time as a kid. Han Solo was naturally a favorite but also Stormtroopers, Greedo, anyone was fair game. I used to play with them in the pool too. Bet you never thought an x-wing would make for a sweet submarine! Though these were all pretty hard on the figures, fortunately I was only using the POTF2 stuff so I don't really have any regrets since those figures haven't held up that well over time anyway.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I once froze my Jabba, then dropped him on accident and his arm broke...it definitely made him too fragile.

I was a HUGE fan of playing with my figures in the pool, I'd ask my mom to "get my Star Wars guys" and she'd throw them in the pool for me to watch them sink, then I'd swim around and collect them. Doesn't sound like fun now, but man I had a blast doing that. Dengar sucked because he floated (I'm not making a joke in this post, I'm serious).

Chlorinated pool water is definitely not good for the paint jobs but I didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    I once froze my Jabba, then dropped him on accident and his arm broke...it definitely made him too fragile.

I was a HUGE fan of playing with my figures in the pool, I'd ask my mom to "get my Star Wars guys" and she'd throw them in the pool for me to watch them sink, then I'd swim around and collect them. Doesn't sound like fun now, but man I had a blast doing that. Dengar sucked because he floated (I'm not making a joke in this post, I'm serious).

Chlorinated pool water is definitely not good for the paint jobs but I didn't care.
    I did the same. I actually would take my small little pirate Lego boats into the water as well. They float and as a kid, a pool is as big as an ocean and the deck their island....

Star Wars figures often took a dive, but when I noticed the chlorine really messed them up more than Legos I had to stop.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    So, anybody else freeze their action figures as a kid?
    Absolutely! In fact the practice was handed down to my son using Jar Jar!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by mabudonicus View Post
    There was an invisible woman toy from some "happy meal pack in" type thing several years ago that used the "technology" as well, but I am drawing a blank on any more
    Iso&Baws&Topes
    Nope, still nothing
    You are probably thinking the Invisible Woman kids meal toy from the original Fantastic Four movie Burger King promotion back in 2005. I only remember it because it was the promotion that followed the first batch of Burger King Star Wars Super-D toys.

Several versions, though not all, of Ray Fillet (from the original TMNT toys line) had a color change feature. The POTF2 Commtech Stormtrooper has one. A few of the Real Ghostbuster figures may of had it as well (for ectoplasm slime).
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 06-10-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection