Thread: Windows 7

Windows 7

Well, I finally made the switch.

After a couple of major issues with Vista in the last few weeks I went down to the store and bought a full copy of Windows 7 (64 bit) and was up and running the new OS in less than 1 hour!

I first installed Vista in my old laptop when it first came out and experienced the usual growing pains, but I made the switch early because I was getting ready to deploy and wanted to get it installed.

My current laptop was purchased from HP while I was deployed and came standard with Vista and all the junkware that HP puts on their machines.

The new OS is much cleaner and there is no junkware!

So far it seems to work much better than Vista. Load times are much faster and response is better. Of course that is to be expected with a fresh install. Overall I am happy with the new OS. Time will tell.
    May the force be with you.

Having experienced Win7 on a few machines, it does seem less annoying than Vista. I wish it weren't such a resource hog though, and they took out a few features I actually liked about vista (nothing major, mostly free codecs and media features).

I can't imaging dropping what, $100, on the upgrade version though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Having experienced Win7 on a few machines, it does seem less annoying than Vista. I wish it weren't such a resource hog though, and they took out a few features I actually liked about vista (nothing major, mostly free codecs and media features).

I can't imaging dropping what, $100, on the upgrade version though.
    If you think $100 is steep for the upgrade try dropping $200 for a full version.

Ouch, you went full retail for the full retail! I would have just bought the OEM version online, same "full fresh" but cheaper because they sell it with a piece of cheapo hardware justifying the OEM-ness of it. On the other hand, I wouldn't have bought it at all because I'm a cheapskate and see no need for Win7 over my XP machines, and my Vista machine isn't important enough to upgrade.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Well, I finally made the switch.

After a couple of major issues with Vista in the last few weeks I went down to the store and bought a full copy of Windows 7 (64 bit) and was up and running the new OS in less than 1 hour!

I first installed Vista in my old laptop when it first came out and experienced the usual growing pains, but I made the switch early because I was getting ready to deploy and wanted to get it installed.

My current laptop was purchased from HP while I was deployed and came standard with Vista and all the junkware that HP puts on their machines.

The new OS is much cleaner and there is no junkware!

So far it seems to work much better than Vista. Load times are much faster and response is better. Of course that is to be expected with a fresh install. Overall I am happy with the new OS. Time will tell.
    I'm running Windows 7 64-bit too and I love it. My only complaint is a few of my older PC games refuse to work with it, even when I try doing fixes or running the game in 32-bit mode.

Have you had any crashes? I read online that the 64-bit version was unstable...but I haven't had any problems, even when I do extreme multitasking.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJediGirl View Post
    I'm running Windows 7 64-bit too and I love it. My only complaint is a few of my older PC games refuse to work with it, even when I try doing fixes or running the game in 32-bit mode.

Have you had any crashes? I read online that the 64-bit version was unstable...but I haven't had any problems, even when I do extreme multitasking.
    So far so good!

I'm not really a gamer. What few programs I do have are pretty basic and seem to work well with the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

So far the only difference I have noticed was when I downloaded iTunes, I had to download the 64 bit version.

Yeah, I don't see much of a difference interface wise, but compared to Vista 32 bit on another household computer, it is a bit faster. I enjoy it, even though you have to pay attention to what you're downloading to make sure its compatible.

I don't think I could ever go back to 32 bit now though. I'm not sure about Windows 7 yet though, its like Vista and XP had a baby.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!