Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

E3 has lots of Star Wars stuff

Gamespot has a hands-on with The Old Republic: http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6265070...s%3Btitle%3B10

Xbox 360's Kinect accessory will be getting a crappy-looking SW game: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265507...es%3Btitle%3B4
    (this could be awesome but I suspect it'll be as lame as it looks, and as lame as the Wii games)

The Old Republic trailer that blew Steve away: http://starwars.com/video/view/001042.html

LEGO SW 3 The Clone Wars (aka more of the same): http://starwars.com/video/view/001039.html

TFU2: http://starwars.com/video/view/001041.html

I wish I dug the TFU2 the most, but TOR looks cooler, even though they're both probably cinematics at best, not real play.

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I didn't think that XBox 360 game looked that bad, especially considering it's a year away.

That Old Republic game looks awesome, but why does it look like clone troopers? And if BioWare made it, doesn that mean it will be a game like MassEffect or a game like Galaxies, which is what I thought it was supposed to be? If it doesn't have a story mode, I'll pass, not into sole Multiplayer games.

The trailer for TFU2 was amazing. I knew he was a clone, what what a story twist. October can't come soon enough.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

The Kinect game looks so bad, like more fluid than a Wii game but cheesier. You're right that it has a year to go still though, and a buddy of mine says there was another video yesterday that looked better.

Yeah, TOR's troopers are very very Cloney in that clip. That's the way the Old Republic-era has always seemed to me though, too modern.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't have any consoles that any of these are coming out on, but I dunno, I might look into a used 360 or something. I think one of the guys I'll be living with next year might have one, so hopefully I'll get to play some of these.

TFU II looks cool, and I really liked the first, so hopefully it'll be similar.

I love the Lego games, and this one looks like it has a lot of cool episode-based stuff, like Gor and the Malevolence. Should be fun.

The Kinect thing doesn't look that bad. It looks like it takes place between the trilogies, which is a timeline I like to explore. If the motion capture stuff works well then it could be a lot of fun.

I just can't seem to get jazzed about anything that takes place thousands of years before the films, no matter how cool the cinematics are. I still hold the belief that more than two Sith dilutes the idea and takes away from their uniqueness, even though I realize that the Sith did indeed rule the galaxy at one point so it's acceptable to me here even though it's not really my thing. The whole thing reminded me of modern, generic action films, like SW is trying to be something it's not, and it doesn't really sit right with me. Even the forest looked too earth-y, even after Endor, but redwoods have an otherworldly feel already and this one was just boring. And I'm not into MMOs anyway so this is a big pass for me.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Lego III will likely be the first Clone Wars purchase I make. Simply because I know any arcade-style video game with "Lego" in the title is worth getting. Of course, they all drop to $20 within six months, so I'll wait.

That reminds me--now that Lego Indy II is down to $20, I should get it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

JabbaJohn, MS is coming out with a new slimline Xbox 360 that's cheaper. Since the 360 has such a bad track record of overheat damage, I would recommend that over a used model that could crap out at any moment. If you have to get used, get a squaretrade warranty to go with it (squaretrade sells aftermarket warranties for a good price even on used goods, so long as you buy it within 3 days of purchasing the item).

I don't see how you guys can think that Kinect game doesn't look crappy though.

Chux, LEGO games are usually good, but I downloaded the demo for Lego Batman, it wasn't that good, I didn't even drop $15 on it when I had the chance. So I'll definitely wait until I hear the reviews and then wait until it goes down (although the LEGO games usually start at $40 rather than $60).

I forgot, I'm a little bummed that there's no mention of SW Battlefront 3. Now seems like the time to strike at the FPS next-gen thing while it's hot.

Did you mean look bad graphically or game play related?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    JabbaJohn, MS is coming out with a new slimline Xbox 360 that's cheaper. Since the 360 has such a bad track record of overheat damage, I would recommend that over a used model that could crap out at any moment. If you have to get used, get a squaretrade warranty to go with it (squaretrade sells aftermarket warranties for a good price even on used goods, so long as you buy it within 3 days of purchasing the item).

I don't see how you guys can think that Kinect game doesn't look crappy though.
    From what I can tell, it looks like the new slim 360 is going to be $300, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a console. I've seen one of the older versions in stores now for $200, and that one sounds like it'll drop to $150 when the slim one comes out. I'm not sure if I'll buy anything, as hopefully the future roommate will bring his and I can rent some of the stuff I want to play.

I really don't play video games that much. Several times in the past I've plunked down a good deal of cash on a system only to play a few games on it. After Gamecube, I wanted to play Battlefront and ROTS, so I got an Xbox; then the Guitar Hero series came out, so we got a PS2 (it's my sister's, actually) and I was able to get a few more Lego games and TFU and so on with it, and now they've essentially stopped releasing titles for it. And that's after my family has bought NES, SNES, Genesis, PSone, and various Game Boys, all of which we still have. The last two game purchases I made were actually Super SW and Super ESB for SNES on eBay a few months ago, as I've had Super ROTJ since I was seven and I love the style and feel of those games. A few times, I'll buy a game, go through it in a few days, and rarely or never play it again, so it could be better to just rent them.

Overall, I don't think it's worth it to keep upgrading anymore and I'd rather spend the cash on Hasbro SW stuff anyway.

The SW Kinect thing doesn't look spectacular in and of itself, but the idea of it registering body movement and actually acting out the motions of deflecting lasers and Force-pushing stormtroopers and having it correlate to the game sounds like it could be fun (if it works properly, though I have my doubts). I can deal with subpar graphics (and these don't even look too terrible) if the overall experience is a good one.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Did you mean look bad graphically or game play related?
    In this case, it was a bit of a combination. Graphically, it was ok for a Wii type game I guess, smoother even. But the way it moved seemed to be the real problem I was getting at, very clunky and simplistic in a smooth way, and cornily unnatural.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    From what I can tell, it looks like the new slim 360 is going to be $300, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a console. I've seen one of the older versions in stores now for $200, and that one sounds like it'll drop to $150 when the slim one comes out. I'm not sure if I'll buy anything, as hopefully the future roommate will bring his and I can rent some of the stuff I want to play.
    Wow, that sucks, I didn't realize. So they went the opposite of the PS3, where the slimline went down in price, how stupid! That sucks. Well, get a SquareTrade if you end up buying a used for over $99 (they won't warranty under that). Then again, the Xbox makes you PAY to play games online, its lower cost was the only advantage of the Xbox, now that's gone and it has no Blu-Ray, no free online, and it costs as much as a PS3.

I really don't play video games that much. Several times in the past I've plunked down a good deal of cash on a system only to play a few games on it. After Gamecube, I wanted to play Battlefront and ROTS, so I got an Xbox; then the Guitar Hero series came out, so we got a PS2 (it's my sister's, actually) and I was able to get a few more Lego games and TFU and so on with it, and now they've essentially stopped releasing titles for it. And that's after my family has bought NES, SNES, Genesis, PSone, and various Game Boys, all of which we still have. The last two game purchases I made were actually Super SW and Super ESB for SNES on eBay a few months ago, as I've had Super ROTJ since I was seven and I love the style and feel of those games. A few times, I'll buy a game, go through it in a few days, and rarely or never play it again, so it could be better to just rent them.
    They made games for the PS2 for a decade, that was a pretty good run. Maybe it's best you don't get a console though, you'll have plenty other things to do with your time.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    In this case, it was a bit of a combination. Graphically, it was ok for a Wii type game I guess, smoother even. But the way it moved seemed to be the real problem I was getting at, very clunky and simplistic in a smooth way, and cornily unnatural.
    I thought it was lame how the Stormtroopers stopped shooting and just stared at the Jedi character as he moved closer to them. If you are getting within arm's reach of a Jedi, then that's when you want to really start unloading with your blaster.

Also, the mix of prequel and OT elements is really jarring and not very well executed.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis