Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Would You Buy A New Sarlaac Creature From ROTJ?

I have started a new thread series!

This series will now ONLY discuss the beast in the title of the thread (in this case The Sarlaac From The ROTJ).

This creature-beast has to be revisited. The Saga version (albeit recently released with a skiff and figures in a battle-pack) just did not cut it.

I will cover several unmade beasts for the toy line per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through anything from the movies that still has not yet been polled for and a few from the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, and the EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a new, bigger Sarlaac from ROTJ?

I bet this one can be done for $30 or $50 if we have to push it to get Hasbro motivated (depending upon the features with the toy as well).

Pack in only 1 figure: Boba Fett. He's the obvious choice and not "a regular" anyone would complain about. [I'd prefer a new skiff guard like the Weequay Skiff Master or someone else (other than Jedi Luke) but Fett is the most obvious and recognizeable character to really interact with the Sarlaac - uh in a way everyone digested ]

This sarlaac should be the mouth, molded into a sand base - just like the previous version, only about 6 times its size or greater (the sand base).

The creature itself could be 3 times the size of the first version.

The action feature that could be worked in is a circularly rotating track inside the mouth that is spun from a thumb-wheel on an edge of the sand base. This could move a level inside the mouth (of the classic trilogy part of the sarlaac) that a row of bendy tentacles are attached to. If the tentacles were posed grabbing any action figures, the rotation and gravity would pull them into the Sarlaac's mouth. Teeth would naturally rim the maw.

In the center, a gullet could be moved by a push-in lever to swallow the figure beneath the sandbase of the playset.

You could hold open the maw and insert the beak from the Special Edition if you want to make that version of the beast (the beak part included for optional display). A lever on the back of the beak would make the mouth open and close and it's throat would also be just wide enough to insert an action figure.

The rest of the sandbase would be big enough to support two of the current desert skiffs (or two new larger ones) circling the maw with their planks over the mouth. A potential Hasbro Sailbarge vehicle could be parked next to it with part of it too hovering over the sandy base of this beast / playset.

So do you want a new, bigger and better Sarlaac made?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

The only other beast from ROTJ that has ever been made was the Rancor which saw a recent resculpt / re-release. I don't intend to poll for it as it's near perfect. The bantha could also be polled for as a ROTJ beast, else I thought some EU from certain live-action specials could be offered in ROTJ's slot for future polls. I bet you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, how do you think a new Sarlaac From ROTJ would sell if produced?

Where do you see the retail price going with this one?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yes, if it's larger and not a total joke like the Target BP, then I would buy a new Sarlacc. Even if it's just a highly detailed mouth with a hole in the bottom.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

If they could do it where it could actually eat people and do it for around 25 dollars then yes.

Has the vehicle polls been shelfed?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I doubt they'll ever get around to another one. The 2008 set was cheap overall, but the Sarlacc itself isn't too bad. I don't think another crack at it would make a difference.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I vote absolutely yes. It MUST be able to swallow figures with both the mouth and optional beak. The current one looks ridiculous trying to chew figures to death before being able to swallow.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

No. I liked the idea of the '08 version, but still didn't buy it. I don't think there's a way to execute it as a fun, semi-accurate toy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'd buy it but it would almost have to be a fairly good sized playset. If it came with part of a Jabba sailbarge (probably just the facade and top deck with maybe one other deck to put Jabba on inside) and the Sarlacc with a removable mouth big enough to swallow figures then I would spend $125 on it. The skiffs could even be rereleased to augment the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post

Has the vehicle polls been shelfed?
    No. But ROTS, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ ran out of vehicles to poll from.

TPM mainly has podracers, but there is another different vehicle I can poll for, though I may shortly discontinue Podracer polling. With that in mind, after the last regular vehicle from TPM is polled for, I'll switch back and forth between beasts from TPM as well.

AOTC has a few more vehicles to offer, but there are some great creatures, too - and the EU will have creature polls independent of its vehicle polls because there are so many.

And actually, I forgot a vehicle for ROTS so it will have one late entry.

Participate and enjoy discussions while you can - such as making your own suggestions about how you'd like a toy to be made and so forth - as some of you are doing with your Sailbarge "facade" idea and so forth (not that I support that because while it's a decent idea, I really want a full sailbarge vehicle toy as a majority of the folks here voted in favor of).

To conclude, the Sarlaac Battle is such a well-done sequence with great adventure and action, that I will spend a lot to buy the largest possible offerings for every individual piece that fits into the scene (with the exception of new skiffs - I think I'm personally done there).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    To conclude, the Sarlaac Battle is such a well-done sequence with great adventure and action, that I will spend a lot to buy the largest possible offerings for every individual piece that fits into the scene (with the exception of new skiffs - I think I'm personally done there).
    That is amazing. The current skiff is TERRIBLE. It is wobbly, poorly painted, the action features keep popping open, there isn't enough room to put as many figures as were on the skiff, the plank is too short, Pote Snitkin can't even fit behind the controls. It is THE vehicle most in need of a redo.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    That is amazing. The current skiff is TERRIBLE. It is wobbly, poorly painted, the action features keep popping open, there isn't enough room to put as many figures as were on the skiff, the plank is too short, Pote Snitkin can't even fit behind the controls. It is THE vehicle most in need of a redo.
    My Pote Snitkin fits just fine. (?) I'd just rather not replace things in my collection, but rather get new things they've never made before.

I did not buy the Sarlaac UBP at Target in spite of numerous opportunities. The undersized creature didn't entice me, though I did see this design as the only way to make this beast. It just needed to be way larger. But I really did not want an extra skiff and extras of a handful of figures I already had.

BigBarada has made an excellent website dedicated to the skiff guard personnel. If I recall, including the prisoners, there are only about 11 people on one and maybe 9 or so on the other. Hasbro has been reluctant to make the less exciting human characters (that look )like Taym-dren Garen (spelling) - though he was on the sailbarge, and therefore I only planned on displaying about 7 characters per vehicle. They fit.

I have to spend thousands on glass and plexiglass cases, usually custom-made to accomodate irregularly sized displays. Why add more expenses to the equation on something I already have?

I want to move forward. Buying stuff like new skiffs seems like moving in reverse instead. I'm also not going for the Big AT-AT in August but I'd just as soon spend another $700 on a custom plastic Star Destroyer like I did for my custom plastic Blockade Runner. I don't have a Star Destroyer or Jabba's Sailbarge. I have 3 POTF2 Snowspeeders so I won't be buying the new ones amongst them either. To each their own.