Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Another proposal:

The new Vintage C-3PO is an amazing figure, and we're glad to get one with this level of articulation. However, one detail seems a bit odd. Though the figure was released with a wave of Empire Strikes Back figures, he doesn't have removeable limbs. Instead, he has three removeable panels, which, though quite cool and nicely executed, seem like a rather unusual choice given that he's an ESB figure. Why did you choose to go with the panels instead of the removeable limbs?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

How about a question about why the new 3PO is so short and if it's a trend Hasbro plans to continue despite him being of fairly average height in the films.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Another proposal:

The new Vintage C-3PO is an amazing figure, and we're glad to get one with this level of articulation. However, one detail seems a bit odd. Though the figure was released with a wave of Empire Strikes Back figures, he doesn't have removeable limbs. Instead, he has three removeable panels, which, though quite cool and nicely executed, seem like a rather unusual choice given that he's an ESB figure. Why did you choose to go with the panels instead of the removeable limbs?
    And why did you make him with an enlarged codpiece?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    How about a question about why the new 3PO is so short and if it's a trend Hasbro plans to continue despite him being of fairly average height in the films.
    Actually, I measured it out and, assuming that 3.75" is intended to represent 6 feet, then Threepio is the correct height. His official Lucasfilm height is 1.67 meters (5 feet, 5.75 inches tall), which when scaled down, is roughly 3.42 inches tall. I measured my Threepio figure at 87.5 millimeters, which converts to 3.44 inches. So, technically, this new Threepio figure is .02 inches too tall; but what's 1/50th of an inch between friends?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Actually, I measured it out and, assuming that 3.75" is intended to represent 6 feet, then Threepio is the correct height. His official Lucasfilm height is 1.67 meters (5 feet, 5.75 inches tall), which when scaled down, is roughly 3.42 inches tall. I measured my Threepio figure at 87.5 millimeters, which converts to 3.44 inches. So, technically, this new Threepio figure is .02 inches too tall; but what's 1/50th of an inch between friends?
    Well, I had just compared him to the Dak figure which is taller but Dak should be shorter (according to the guide to characters he's 1.62M). Since the Dak figure is just a kit bash it seems more likely that he's too tall than 3PO being too short.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Question 17 added.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    In #15, I'm not sure why you added the part about the 2008 release being arbitrary - it was a month before The Clone Wars movie came out, and was pretty obviously done to coincide with that. And I can argue that the Legacy Collection stuff was put out then so non-animated collectors would have something to get excited about, to know that Hasbro wasn't forgetting them. The current one is the one that makes little to no sense.
    My thinking was that CW and TLC were released without strong entertainment support after 6 months of barren shelves, and it really doomed TLC into the troubles it suffered for the rest of its life. I will make changes to accommodate the CW movie release date though, I was thinking more about the show air date which had a stronger showing than the movie's flat-on-its-face release. But if Hasbro doesn't get called on this pattern, it'll be a shame. I'll probably just ask them at Comic-Con though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_Adiss View Post
    Well, just going off of Rebelscum's current figure poll, I'd say other background characters with significant fan support include:

Merumeru
    Coleman Kcaj
    Tikkes / Senator Tundra Dowmeia
    GH-7 & EW-3 Midwife Droids
    BD-3000 "Betty Bot"
    Senator Bana Bremu
    Queen Apailana
    Senator Fang Zar (shudder)

Plus a couple other unique aliens (and personal favorites) that didn't quite make the poll such as Eeusu Estornii and Veedaaz Awmetth.

In my mind this is about as deep as Hasbro can concievably go into the background of ROTS. While there are definitely more than what I listed, the polls at Rebelscum have generally been a good indicator of overall fan interest. Since the Mon Cal dancer placed in that poll I would say that shows significant fan support, and if Hasbro doesn't think she has much "clout" than what does that say about the rest of them? Now I will admit she placed slightly below average in this poll. But the line isn't ending anytime soon (knock on wood) and Hasbro can only do so many hero and trooper retreads (I suppose not entirely true). I just would like to hear what Hasbro has to say about their plans for this movie in the line going forward.

The upcoming Vintage wave seems destined to be the last truly ROTS dedicated wave in the line - and it's all core heros and villains. The previous three ROTS waves in recent memory (two from Legacy and one from TAC) had fan-requested background figures that really tanked at retail, (I'm looking at you Colton, Breha and Po Nudo) so perhaps that demonstrates that backgrounders from ROTS just regularly underperform to the extent the Hasbro isn't considering any more for a long while. Even if there is initial fan support. I just want to hear them confirm that suspicion.
    Significant fan support means vocal, not just clicking a button. But in terms of polls, for every person who clicked they really wanted the Mon Cal Dancer, for example, there was 1 who clicked they absolutely would not buy it. Aayla Secura on the other hand has over twice as many "absolutely would buy" votes as any other choice, that in my book is significant fan support.

After this year, Hasbro isn't doing more ROTS waves because after this year, theme waves are out, they are going to do figures based solely on their perceptions of what the market will bear vs what the fan base wants.

I am just not seeing the great outpouring of support for these characters, beyond a few folks' personal tastes, certainly not enough to claim Hasbro is purposefully going to avoid making background characters from ROTS simply because these aren't on-deck. Based on what I've seen, only Queen Apailana has any notable vocal mass support, and it gets more detractors than supporters. I'll keep thinking about this one, and see how things look next week at Comic-Con, but for right now it's not gelling for me.

(PS - thanks so much for calling RS's forum poll into this, making me go reactivating my old CSW account - with its 4000 posts before RS bought them - just to find out about poll data. And man, based on what I'm seeing, GNT must be on cloud 9 being the only one allowed to start threads after his turn here. )

At least the Ewoks had some believable (if somewhat ineffective) battle strategies. Instead of the "stand up, wave your arms up in the air like a giant target, then run head first into a barrage of computer-controlled laser fire" tactics of the Wookiees.
    I never would have thought I'd think Ewoks > Wookiees, until ROTS I thought Lucas totally blew it by not putting Wookiees in the battle on Endor, then it turned out he doesn't know how to make Wookiees interesting or compelling as a battle force (which seems unfathomable to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_Adiss View Post
    Honestly, (and I know this is another thing you'll disagree with me on BigBarada so I'll just go ahead and be blunt) I think both sequences were equally dumb. I never understood the need to tie Kashyyyk into the prequels.
    Lucas' regrets. Almost everything in the prequels is about Lucas' regrets after the limitations of the OT made him so frustrated. He wanted airwhales, stilt cities, Kashyyyk, even crazier aliens, and so forth, in the OT and when they proved unpractical, he got bitter. Then when he decided to go forward with the prequels even though they stood in the face of what the OT was saying, he realized he could put all his regrets into these new movies, and never stopped to consider their merits as storytelling implements so they came off shallowly.

We didn't need to see where Chewbacca came from or that he somehow knew Yoda personally (what a coincidence ).
    LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!
    Ugh, don't remind me of that abomination, that was the point where Lucas raped the shark.

Oh and for some reason, Chewbacca's facial structure just looked totally off to me. Like somehow the shape of his skull and mouth changed in the time between ROTS and ANH.
    He got fatter, well, the person inside the suit did, and they changed the whole suit to be a more modern material that moved, combed, and had a different internal structure than the original. Same with C-3PO in AOTC and ROTS, he is thicker than the other protocol droids just a little bit. But it showed more with Chewie because he's an organic character, I guess.

As for the Ewoks, they were just unconvincing as a threat to a "legion of my (Emperor's) best troops"
    That was Lucas' point though. Originally, he conceived of it as Wookiees being perceived as too simple a people to take up arms against their oppressors, and wanted a "simple vs technologically advanced" nod to the Vietnam war, but by the time he got to the point there, he felt Chewbacca had done too much technologically and the Vietnam point wasn't as strong in the '80s so he had to take it to the next level with "cute" and seemingly unthreatening. Personally, I think only the cutesiness of Wicket (designed to draw children's interest into the characters) undoes the Ewoks as a convincing distraction. They had good numbers and a tactical environmental advantage, and the Emperor's legion of his best troops were at the bunker front door, not the back door quite a distance away where the battle took place (this point isn't properly sold in the film, and it's clear there's a detachment at the back door waiting to ambush, but it's also obvious that's not a full legion).

Well, of course they were both dumb, but the Endor battle was at least entertaining. Especially observing the various ways to kill an AT-ST. It was also critical to the plot of the film, unlike the Kashyykk battle. Which we're told is an important system that the Republic can't lose control of; but it's never explained WHY it's so important. Plus, it was so unnecessary to the overall plot of ROTS that I don't even remember if the Wookiees won or lost the battle.
    All true! And nobody won the battle for Kashyyyk, the CIS was dissolved and the Republic forces turned into the Imperial forces who took Kashyyyk for themselves. And all of this was poorly explained on-screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerj2000 View Post
    Since it wasn't onscreen it doesn't count? Then what's the point of discussing it at all? There can be no answer to this then according to those rules. Maybe it was just an excuse to show the Wookie's planet and sneak in Chewie into the movie? So what? It was fun seeing him and getting to see a bit of the planet outside of the Holiday Special.
    It doesn't count for the purposes of the storytelling merits of the film itself. When we speak of how the film portrays something, EU elements cannot supercede that because the merits of the film have to stand alone to the audience without supplementary knowledge.

Tossing Kashyyyk and Chewie into the film without storytelling merit is bad moviemaking and exactly the sort of thing that Lucas used to rail against. Remember, this is the man who said a special effect is a bad thing if it doesn't fulfill a purpose to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Does it really matter why Kashyyyk is important? The Jedi should already know why, and they wouldn't need to tell each other. Movies don't have time to explain absolutely everything or they run the risk of getting bogged down in boring minutiae. We know that it is important, and that's enough here.
    Yes, it matters why we the audience are watching characters we're invested in risking their lives over a planet and its inhabitants who seem to have no greater purpose than to simply be a plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by ChukhaTrok76 View Post
    Wow. Wow, we're uh, we're really arguing about the fictional battles of Endor and Kashyyk? Hmm. I-I don't really care one way or the other myself. BUT, for the nerd record here, the "Young Jedi" novellas, which admittedly came out before ROTS, but are set after the Battle of Endor, has Kashyyk playing an important place as a major shipping planet of computers and hyperdrives and spaceship parts, and it had long been an important trade route. The Wookies are manufactures of these things. That could be another reason they were important?...as for the Ewoks, they wear the heads and bones of their enemies! And just for the record I'd rather die from a quick laser burn to the heart from a wookie blaster than impaled on a wooden spear with a crudely fashioned stone tip or crushed by a big ol' redwood...tree. Because that's how the Ewoks play: not well with others! But I digress. They're both cutesy bear-things. Wait, what were we discussing? Girls, right? Yeah, I like 'em. Also, Ewoks are better.
    No, we're discussing action figures based on cheesy sci-fi flicks. What forum do you think you're on? Look at your username and avatar! (And Wookiees are more dog-things than bear-things.)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    also have a new question to add... feel free to re-word it as you see fit:

2010 has seen some Great Clone Wars figures... Darth Sidious, TX-20, Hondo, Aayla Secura etc however distrubution on these figures has been very poor in some areas. (have yet to even see signs of this wave in NJ or even NY). with the new packaging out on the shevles now we will see this wave repacked on the Blue Sky design or will this wave be similiar to the Expanded Universe wave at TRU where it's first come first served and never to see the light of day again.
    OH MY GOD, VOTES AND QUESTIONS! I HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT THOSE LOOK LIKE!

I'll have to reword the question because those are all '09 figures, and Hasbro gave some dopey answer that those figures were distributed in even numbers as the other '09 CW figs which IMO is a load of crap. But question added.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I would vote for this.
    I think you can add that for any item, clone wars, Expanded Universe, Galactic Heroes..... Distrubution this year is as bad as I can ever remember.
    I'll count your vote for #17 then.

I'd like to keep the question focused on "missing" CW figures though, it centralizes the issue to a specific enough problem that they can't use a broad answer to address. EU, GH, those have their own unique problems in distribution, CW is treated differently (or it's supposed to be).

Another proposal:

Please remind me about this in the next round. I would think this will come up at SDCC, but if it doesn't, then we'll ask. Also, part of me wants to shoehorn it into question 16, but another part fears it'd undermine the request. I could be convinced to integrate it into 16 though, so if you don't want to wait, LMK your thoughts and give integrating it a shot.

Anthony Daniels is not a tall fellow, he's listed as 5' 9", the same as Mark Hamill.

Well, I had just compared him to the Dak figure which is taller but Dak should be shorter (according to the guide to characters he's 1.62M). Since the Dak figure is just a kit bash it seems more likely that he's too tall than 3PO being too short.
    Well, that Luke figure body is sculpted a little bigger than scale IIRC.

I have to admit, the crotch piece on that figure is a notable part of what hampers my interest in the figure, especially the way the hips were designed wrong with a flare out making him look dumpy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Eh, I'm in no hurry, especially with Comic-Con being just a few weeks out. The cynical part of me thinks the answer is "since there were two different C-3PO's on ESB cards, and, this way, we can release them both!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'd tell you, but this is a family site.
    I am the modern man.

For that matter, I think a better question is to ask why Dengar has a removable codpiece. That didn't make sense, and the way it pops off if you rotate his torso is the only flaw on an otherwise perfect figure.

Really, I saw no reason for a Dengar update, and only got the new one for its meme value. And I was totally blown away by the little guy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

For that matter, I think a better question is to ask why Dengar has a removable codpiece. That didn't make sense, and the way it pops off if you rotate his torso is the only flaw on an otherwise perfect figure.

Really, I saw no reason for a Dengar update, and only got the new one for its meme value. And I was totally blown away by the little guy.
    There's something vaguely inappropriate in the way this starts and ends.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.