Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I have a Photoshop project for only the best, most enterprising person (with time on their hands) to tackle.

I designed the look for a "Kenner-style" cardback showing all the modern figures arranged like an '80's cardback (see picture of one below - but I'd recommend blue for the new cardback, similar to the way ESB cardbacks were done). Someone could edit the pictures of the modern figures in and make a great poster!

I changed the order of the figures via a new strategy for displaying them.

Left-to-right in rows approximating ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, the columns go:

Luke, Han, Leia, Droids, Jedi, Imperials, Sith - with variation rows such as:

Luke, Han, Leia, Droids, Cantina

Luke, Han, Leia, Cloud City, Bounty Hunters, Imperials

Luke, Han, Leia, Rebel Alliance, Ewoks, Imperials

Luke, Han, Leia, Jabba the Hutt's gangsters

I count 102 original vintage MOVIE figures, noting that the vintage cardbacks would remove older versions of C-3PO and R2D2, not show both Snaggletoothes, the Max Rebo Band Members, or count Jabba the Hutt and Salacious Crumb even though they were characters and not creatures.

Luke-Han-Leia-Chewie-R2D2-C3PO-Obi-Wan-Death Squad Cmdr-Stormtrooper-Vader

Luke Xwing-Tusken Raider-Jawa-Blue Snag-Red Snag-R5D4-Gonk-Walrusman-Momaw-Greedo

Luke Bespin-Han Hoth-Leia Bespin-Lando-Bespin Security-FX7-Yoda-RA7-Snowtrooper-IG88

Hoth Rebel-Hoth Reb Cmdr-Lobot-Ugnaught-C3PO RL-21B-Dengar-Bossk-Imp Crdr-Boba Fett

Luke Hoth-Han Bespin-Leia Hoth-Black Besp Gd-Cloud Cr Plt-R2D2 Sens-Zuckuss-4LOM-ATAT Cm-ATAT Dr

Luke Jedi-Leia Boussh-Lando Skf-Ad Ackbar-Endor Reb-G Madine-Chirpa-Logray-Royl Gd-TIE Plt

Han Endor-Bwing Pilot-Nien Numb-Prune Face-Teebo-Wicket-Bib F-Imp Dig-Emperor-Biker Scout

Luke Troopr-Han Carb-Leia Endor-Lando G-R2 LSaber-Lumat-Gamorr-ATST-Anakin-DS Gunner

Luke Endor-Awing Plt-Paploo-Warok-Romba-Klaatu Skf-Nikto-Klaatu-Amanaman-Barada

Sy Snoot-Droopy-Max-Rancor Kpr-8D8-EV9D9-ReeYees-YakFace-Tessek-Weequay

Jabba the Hutt, Salacious Crumb

In BOLD are figures that have not been re-made (the right characters because yes I know there are 2 Imperial Dignitaries and tons of Hoth Rebel Soldiers, etc). Like I said - I'd save space for them so you can add them to your image in another year or so.

Anyway, who wants to make this? Steve should post it on the mainpage when it's done for sure!

(97 of 102 have now been made).
    Hasn't there been a Hoth Rebel Soldier made (if so, I know I don't like it as much as the vintage one), maybe in a Deluxe line? And I think the Saga line had the Imperial Dignitary. I now you listed them above. Or is it just the mustaches (like the other Bespin Security)?
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Hasn't there been a Hoth Rebel Soldier made (if so, I know I don't like it as much as the vintage one), maybe in a Deluxe line? And I think the Saga line had the Imperial Dignitary. I now you listed them above. Or is it just the mustaches (like the other Bespin Security)?
    The Imperial Dignitary was Sim Aloo; the ones in the modern line were Kren Blista-Vanee and Janus Greejatus. The Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) - which is actually more like a Rebel officer or something - comes closest to a modern version with the kitbash from the 2002 accessory set that combined Hoth Luke's body with a Hoth Rebel Trooper's head. It's far from great, though.

I think, for the Bespin guard, people would like a light-skinned one with a mustache. The old one looks Asian to me, but everyone refers to it as white. That said, we've gotten both white and "Asian" versions in the modern line - the former was with the carbon freezing chamber playset, and the latter was in the POTJ basic line, though neither had any facial hair.

Lumat is a strange case. The Ewok known as "Lumat" in the vintage line no longer has a canon name, and the name "Lumat" belongs to a white-and-black striped Ewok who looks similar to Graak. To further confuse matters, the 2007 Graak figure looks like it was originally sculpted to be an update to the vintage Lumat, and then perhaps later repainted to look quite different. I think I'll propose a Q&A question about this now . . .

The site JediDefender.com is doing a feature where they go through all the vintage figures and compare them to the modern versions; they're currently up to FX-7, so they've still got a ways to go, but it's interesting.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I think I need to check out JediDefender's site then. Thanks for the info.

BigBarada: I totally agree with you on it being easier to just set up the whole bunch of the figures. I just don't have access to all of mine to easily do it myself. (I technically DO have access if I drive to storage, but it could be so much easier for someone else who has all the figures in front of them right now.)

JabbaJohn got Bel-Cam Jos' question exactly right. And no, I wouldn't count the kit-bash Hoth Rebel Officer from the Saga accessory pack set as a replacement for the original Hoth Rebel Soldier. The 2003 one even had facial hair on top of that, and the 1980 figure never did. (Hoth Rebel Commander - 1981 - had a mustache and beard maybe - but so has most modern Hoth Rebels in the trench uniforms). The 1980 Bespin Guard had a mustache but no modern Bespin Guard does.

Anyway, we're down to only 5 missing but "Klaatu" (correctly named Wooof) is already on his way but no one has any clear pics of him until after Comic Con.

I'm looking for a carded Lumat - then I'll decide whether Graak and Lumat were misnamed or what.

BigB: you cannot disregard Blue Snaggletoothe. He was Sears-Roebuck's first representative in a Galaxy Far, Far Away But actually the cardbacks did not show both the Threepios and all 3 of the R2D2's at the same time and we all regard Sensor Scope as different from Lightsaber Launch and from the Original 1978,
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    BigB: you cannot disregard Blue Snaggletoothe. He was Sears-Roebuck's first representative in a Galaxy Far, Far Away But actually the cardbacks did not show both the Threepios and all 3 of the R2D2's at the same time and we all regard Sensor Scope as different from Lightsaber Launch and from the Original 1978,
    Blue Snaggletooth was a mistake not a separate figure. I had never even heard of him until the 1990s, so personally I have trouble considering him as separate from the regular Snaggletooth.

Here's the breakdown of my 96 vintage, carded figures count, based off of the POTF 92-back card:

Figures pictured on the back of the card = 92
    Yak Face: +1 = 93
    1978 See-Threepio: +1 = 94
    1978 Artoo-Detoo: +1 = 95
    Artoo-Detoo Sensorscope: +1 = 96

Thus, there were 96 vintage Kenner figures that were available individually carded. Not including mistakes, variations, vinyl-capes, double-telescoping lightsabers, etc.

If you are going to include the Rebo Band, Jabba, Salacious Crumb and Blue Snags, then you should include the three-legged Artoo-Detoo from the Droid Factory as well.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    If you are going to include the Rebo Band, Jabba, Salacious Crumb and Blue Snags, then you should include the three-legged Artoo-Detoo from the Droid Factory as well.
    You're probably right. I had the Droid Factory Playset toy when I was a kid, too - but I didn't appreciate that as much as a kid as I do now as an adult. However, I kept it complete and mint-but-loose. I played with it a little. Still I think that Legacy's B-A-D pieces are so much better and a modern droid factory could be awesome if more parts were included that were actually used to comprise on-screen droids just as R1-G4 and WED-151, amongst others. Plus they could give us "EU parts," but make them even better and more plentiful then what Kenner did in the past. (This should really be a separate discussion, but we can have it here I suppose).

Anyway, another R2 didn't add as much to the vintage collection as Blue Snaggletoothe because while maybe a mistake, you could totally play with Blu as a separate character (R2 always looked like R2). Max Rebo et. all WERE other characters even though they weren't carded. They were action figures for certain. Only the Ewok and Droids figures belonged separated because they were done in an animated style.

My "character argument" definitely holds for Jabba and Salacious.

Here's the breakdown of my 96 vintage, carded figures count, based off of the POTF 92-back card:

Figures pictured on the back of the card = 92
    Yak Face: +1 = 93
    1978 See-Threepio: +1 = 94
    1978 Artoo-Detoo: +1 = 95
    Artoo-Detoo Sensorscope: +1 = 96

Thus, there were 96 vintage Kenner figures that were available individually carded.
    Perfect list. Adding Jabba, Salacious, Max, Droopy, Sy, and Blue you get my 102.

Not including mistakes, variations, vinyl-capes, double-telescoping lightsabers, etc.
    Correct. Except that Blue could be another character and not a mistake (even though by Kenner's outlook he was). But Blue could be just who he was and be as different as Luke Bespin is from Luke Jedi and still be counted - because the two Snags are far different from smiling and non-smiling Lando or the who telescoping saber bits.

But anyway, it is up to a person making this "cardback / or poster" what is included. My initial post was just to express my desire to see it - even make it - and what I'd put on it if it were up to me.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

i'm thinking about setting up a huge display of all the figures from both the vintage Kenner Wave up to the recent Hasbro Vintage wave just not sure how i want to do it... thinking of setting them up by either movie appearence and or character (ie all the Luke's together etc) or by how they came out in waves.....

I have a large drafting table to set them up on but not sure at the moment how I'm going to attempt it. (plus all the weapons / accessories are seperate from the figures). As soon as I figure it out and set it up I'll snap some pics and post them. hopefully I can figure it all out and make it work.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks