Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New cw Grievous is a fresh gummy bear?

I have been so excited to get the new Clone Wars Grievous figure. For about 2 years now, I've been trying to display the first CW Grievous in a fairly basic standing pose and every few weeks he falls over. Plus, he's not particularly good at posing in general since he has such limited articulation. So this new one really seemed like the one to deal with all that with its tons of articulation.

Imagine my surprise when I unpackaged him just now and, after his shoulder pads went flying this way and that, his entire body came wiggling out of the card like a gummy bear. And not even a stale gummy bear, a fresh one straight from a Bavarian factory. The clear-bands really don't do this figure any favors either, but he's so pliant that it's merely a short-term issue. The real issue is that, despite the myriad of new joints, this figure is quite possibly the softest basic figure of all time and cannot remain standing for more than a few minutes at a time. His foot-claws have already bent from just standing the past 10 minutes on my desk (leaned against something to remain standing). Grievous is now the ultimate wilter.

Other thoughts:

• the battle damaged head is a keen idea, but not really damaged enough IMO;
    • he's got a removable chest plate to reveal green guts;
    • the hands are angled, but since they're symmetrical, they can be swapped so they are angled up or down depending on your preference, they are packaged down;
    • Grievous 1 has more range of motion on his head, but that head is smaller than Grievous 2's head, which is closer to proportion, you can swap them but Grievous 1's is too loose on Grievous 2's neck;
    • I think mine has 2 right feet based on the camber of the left foot, but it doesn't matter since there's zero chance he'll be using those feet for long;
    • at full standing height, he's notably taller than Grievous 1... for now, until the gummy bear legs warp totally under;
    • knee articulation has impressive range, the faux double-joint look they put plenty of effort into emulating would probably not have more range than this single joint;
    • elbow range, on the other hand, is surprisingly lackluster;
    • there's more rotation joints on this figure than expected, almost everything, so sad he's wrecked by the gelatin soft candy body;
    • he has 2 "severed" replacement forearms, but in the "Lair of Grievous" episode this figure is from, I believe it was his legs that were lopped off - oops;
    • the lack of weathering Grievous 2 stands out pretty badly, especially considering how simple yet effective it is on Grievous 1;
    • they swapped the blue and green saber hilts, they're the same molds as last time but swapped colors, and now no accent paint, just silver, how arbitrary is that;
    • did I mention the shoulder pads fly off at a blink? Yes? Well, it bears repeating, and his chest plate isn't on that well either;
    • Hasbro Photography made a very odd error, plugging his shoulder pads into his collar right up against his neck, and it's intentional I think, the mini-catalog shows Grievous in a battle scene the same way;
    • if Grievous were actually a gummy bear, his flavor would be "pretentious".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

This morning, after just laying on his back for the night, his foot-claws in the back of both feet are totally bent sideways. So very bad. But hey, at least he comes with a display stand with pegs... that he can't use, since no peg holes.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sounds perfect for a Demise of Grievous scene. :souncivilized:

But thanks for the review that tells me not to shove down old ladies and sick children to get one.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I have a vision of a subpar Disney cartoon where General Grievous drinks some sort of juice and bounces around for no reason.

Maybe Yoda is the real Gummi Bear?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Great! I'm only reading this topic after I've bought the Grievous. I also bought the Deluxe Ironhide today which was quite a stinker.

I guess what it comes down to is the the Clone Wars line is a "kid targeted" line and kids LOVE gummy bears. So really, it kinda makes sense.

Despite the soft plastic, I still think it is an upgrade over the previous CW Grievous. A couple more tries and they ought to nail it

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I have a vision of a subpar Disney cartoon where General Grievous drinks some sort of juice and bounces around for no reason.

Sippin' on Jinn and juice? Bouncin' in his '64? And, no. Yoda's a Monchichi, definitely. Or maybe a Shirt Tale.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Registered
    Northern Virginia, in toy hell. Nothing good here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsokol View Post
    Despite the soft plastic, I still think it is an upgrade over the previous CW Grievous. A couple more tries and they ought to nail it
    Same here, thanks for the review. Guess I'll stick with my "buddy" pose of him leaning on Dooku's speeder.

Maybe next time Hasbro.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

That would explain Yoda's 2 dueling scenes. Bouncing here and there and everywhere. High adventure that's beyond compare.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Great! I'm only reading this topic after I've bought the Grievous. I also bought the Deluxe Ironhide today which was quite a stinker.
    Geez, you missed all my warnings except Searchlight!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsokol View Post
    I guess what it comes down to is the the Clone Wars line is a "kid targeted" line and kids LOVE gummy bears. So really, it kinda makes sense.

In the early days of POTF2, Kenner/Hasbro was fighting the market against SW Bend-Ems, maybe this is a nod to that.

Visually and in articulation, it's an improvement. For "standing up" and deco, it's a step backwards. Since I bought it for "standing up", it fails the action figure test. Badly. The shoulder pads coming off so easily is starting to really grate on my nerves too.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCollector View Post
    Same here, thanks for the review. Guess I'll stick with my "buddy" pose of him leaning on Dooku's speeder.

Maybe next time Hasbro.
    Even then, he'll sink down and crush your spirits as long as he's on his feet. Hasbro will say either it's a safety issue (despite '08 Grievous having hard feet) or that the factory goofed mixing the plastic and it's too late to do anything about it this time.

I got him earlier this morning. He looks fantastic, and I don't think he's quite as bendy as you're saying, but is an issue. The battle-damaged hands instead of legs thing is annoying, but he does get one hand cut off by Ahsoka in Duel of the Droids, and you can still remove his legs both at the hips and the knees, so it's close enough in my book. I'll see how the rubberiness plays out in a few days.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram