Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

I have the Cloud Car... and Snowspeeder!

Take that, crappy April Fools joke, I actually have both of these! They were on TRU shelves last night. The Snowspeeder is shortpacked at 1 per case and won't be in the upcoming "wave 1 revision __" cases.

The Cloud Car is pretty much exactly as expected based on the preview images. The connection point between the 2 halves is very strong and at first didn't seem like the cars were going to connect without a gap, but with enough pressure that last millimeter gave up and they snapped together. The cloud car seems smaller than the vintage, but upon comparison they are the same size except the connecting arms on the vintage are wider by around maybe an inch. The cockpit has painted details, nothing too fancy but it's nice to see it in there anyway, and they sculpted a bit of a raised bump for the actual seat (an issue that bothered the EU Cloud Car). The paint has no weathering at all, which is the only issue IMO that isn't a positive. The cockpits open nicely, although they sculpted an inner lip underneath so it's not as smooth getting figures in as the vintage was, but I was able to get POTJ Lando and the OTC Cloud Car pilot in with no difficulty (they were what I had at hand). The landing gear are simple, and even closed their tabs stick out the bottom which bugs me a little, but they sculpted and painted a small gun on each so I'll forgive (it makes no sense, but that's ok). The pod-sliding gimmick is fun, though I wish the weapon inside was more exciting. All in all, it's still a little boring but it's alright. I don't think I would have paid TRU's $28 on its own though, only thanks to BOGO50% would its value be acceptable. Funny enough, the packaging diorama backdrop has 2 small cloud cars on it in the background, both are of the weapons-deployed variety with the pods slid in.

The Snowspeeder is very nice right out of the box. No weathering, but otherwise it's head and shoulders above the original (which was very nice too, but had inaccuracies). The lack of raised line detailing is great, instead it's recessed - it was only buying both of these new vehicles and comparing them to their vintage counterparts that I noticed the Kenner vehicles consistently used raised lines to represent panels rather than ones cut into the vehicle, I believe due to improvements in tooling technology. The canopy looks great, the windows bigger and smoother and more accurate, with lots of visibility. The smaller size is more accurate to the films, it looks better and is more fun to whoosh, and the only liberties that I can see they took were a small trough in the underside of the hull, and the position of Luke's seat (in the movie, Luke sits right under the dash, which would have been impossible unless they cut off his legs or the T-47 was Flintstones-powered). The missile-firing guns aren't so bad, but I'm grateful they weren't the only option, they're fun but not accurate, so it's good to swap them out. Likewise, the swappable rear gun is dandy, they don't pivot up and down but they share sculpted detailing, and the larger firing one has a cute trick with the "cable out!" gimmick, a small hatch in the underside that houses the excess line and then pops all the way out. I wish the string was even longer, I may have to make that happen. The hidden hatch door comes off a tad easily, but it's sculpted to be put back on either way so orientation is never a worry. The upper flaps open, but the lower ones are still static. The removable rear cannon bit is removable on the right side to allow access to the panel under - in ESB, Luke's snowspeeder has this removed while the others don't, so it's a great touch. Deco is decent, mixed grays and a few touches of white, under the access panel and flaps is dark reddish orange, there's tons of tiny aurebesh writing everywhere, but I haven't translated it yet. The cockpit interior has a very nice sculpt, but requires a dozen stickers. Oh, and a nice little touch, they sculpted a hole to accommodate the recent Luke Snowspeeder's grappling gun, sans hook. All in all, quite nice and a worthy update.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Crappy? That might've been the only online April Fool's joke to actually still fool people for a few seconds in the year 2010.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Getting the cloud car for sure...these sound great!!
    Real men buy Willrow

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Crappy? That might've been the only online April Fool's joke to actually still fool people for a few seconds in the year 2010.
    I don't like any of those sorts of April Fools jokes, they're easy and lame and leave a wake of confusion for the rest of us to clean up.

They are great. I'm looking at my Snowspeeder, since I don't have Dack I put Shia Brie in the gunner seat, she's a bit small in there but fits, while Luke's helmet goes right to the top of the sculpted and painted canopy interior which should tell you how scale it is.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Just FYI, I believe the "raised line detailing" is actually known as 'reverse etching.'

I guess everyone in my area is sticking to the street dates. I haven't found anything new. All the blue and red card Legacy, SL and CW figures are marked down to $4.50 and they still aren't moving.

Got the AT-AT, Cloud car and Snowspeeder in Ireland. No figures though, as usual its just Clone wars and Legends on the pegs.

Also I can't really enjoy the new vehicles, moving house again so they're staying in their boxes for now. But I did take a look and I liked what I saw. I've come to no longer be surprised about the lack of weathering but everything else is really cool.

Glad to hear the connecter between the pods is solid. That was my main concern of this vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Just FYI, I believe the "raised line detailing" is actually known as 'reverse etching.'
    That is an appropriate term for it, and as I suspected, it was because it was easier/cheaper to do back in the day when tooling technology wasn't where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    Glad to hear the connecter between the pods is solid. That was my main concern of this vehicle.
    It's quite solid, I've whooshed it and the only thing that's happened so far is Lando has flopped about in his pod (the POTJ figure is pretty short and awkwardly posed for sitting). If you fling it sideways, 1 pod will slide into the middle as the stops are a bit light, but you have to give it a little extra oomph, it won't do it in normal whooshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Got the AT-AT, Cloud car and Snowspeeder in Ireland. No figures though, as usual its just Clone wars and Legends on the pegs.
    Was this TRU? I just searched the UK site to see if they have the AT-AT - it didn't come up, but the AT-AT Commander did! Seems they already have all the new figures: http://www.toysrus.co.uk/index.jsf?fh_eds=%EF%BF%BD&fh_search=star+wars+vin tage&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=0&fh_location= %2f%2ftrus%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{trus_trus}%2fit emtype%3dproduct&omitxmldecl=yes. Wish I'd seen this out earlier today, I could've checked out my local store today... now I won't be able to get there till later in the week.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

I don't think there is any Toys'r'us in the republic of ireland, I think there is up north. We've got Smyths Toystores, Toymaster and Forbidden planet.

However yes I do believe the vehicles are available in britain now, a few people on RS have found them and posted pics.