Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3 Titles that kick all sorts of butt

I recently bought a PS3 and stumbled upon Elder Scrolls Oblivion for a cool 14.99. Worth every penny. Heck it is one of those rare games that is worth paying its original price. This thing is like Fable on steroids. This is the first time, ever, that I have been so emersed in a game, that I have forsaken my Honey-do list. It is an amazing, massive game. A huge sandbox - I have completed about thirty quests that have nothing to do with the main quest of the game. All in the name of leveling up and acquiring gear. My only complaint is the limited cast of voice actors. I can understand why Bethesda would not one unique voices for every passer-by, but they could have at least hired some voice actors that vary their voice to give the illusion that the voice is unique. This is a mild gripe and is overshadowed by the attention to detail that was put into this masterpiece. Last night I reached my first Oblivion Gate and was blown away by the hellish design. Very freaky. There are clusters of grass that when observed very closely, are coated in blood.

I am playing a good guy. Big time Duddly do right. I think next time I will play this game in a much darker manner and see if I can achieve the same things.

Feel free to list other favorites. IMO it doesn't get much better than Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

God of War 3 - unbelievable scope, and beautiful art. The premiere game on the system, probably, just as the first 2 were on the PS2.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - the original Motorstorm is good too, but M:PR takes everything up a notch, adds more fun ways to play, more freedom, and monster trucks! Plus the sixaxis motion sensing is pretty fun since you don't have to also shoot or do a million other things that most games do.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - a truly fantastic Star Wars video game, a bit on the short side but compelling story and gives a good sense of using the Force. Also, great to look at, and the various technologies makes destructible universe elements something special as well as giving AI enemies more levels of thought and unique behaviors based on their own choices rather than pre-assigned animations.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - easily the best Batman video game of all time, you get to really think like The Bat, using stealth and gadgets and turning baddies' fear against them, plus the combat is pretty easy to use and has a great chain-attack thing that feels awesome when you get it going. And when you're done with story mode, there are bonus challenge stages based on either stealth or pure fighting. And it's the voice cast from the '90s Batman: The Animated Series, with Kevin Conroy bringing it up a notch and Mark Hamill finally getting to let his Joker fully off the chain.

Zen Pinball - a downloadable game, but 4 tables that are a lot of fun and use a real physics engine (which makes it hard at times), and you can play your own music instead of theirs.

Battlefield: Bad Company (for single player experience) / Bad Company 2 (for multiplayer) - BC1 has an incredibly fun single player game, very rewarding, lets you try new things, big sandbox levels, AI teammates that are somewhat useful even. BC2's single player eschews all that unfortunately, but its multiplayer is very good (BC1's multiplayer is good too, just not as stellar).

LEGO: Star Wars - it's the same as ever, no real graphics upgrades, but it runs at full 1080p and it's fun.

Ghostbusters - a true Ghostbusters experience, the whole cast is the game and your (surprisingly very useful) AI teammates. This is the 3rd movie.

I hear Red Dead Redemption is amazing, I am expecting to get it for my birthday next month.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Good thread, as I'm thinking about getting a PS3 as soon as I have the cash.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Have to 100% agree with JediTricks on Batman...I borrowed it from my brother-in-law....told him recently he's not getting it back, even if he comes to my house(the dog ate it). I love taking baddies out by crashing thru windows on the zip line. Challenge mode rocks bigtime!
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Ha, that sucks for your brother in law. I love terrifying the baddies and then hanging from the gargoyles and scooping them up, then when their buddies come to help bataranging the first guy onto the others. That's the sort of stuff Batman games should be about.

The sad part is, I almost left it off my list, just plum forgot about it when I was writing.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

OK, now that this thread is getting some steam....

Let me throw in the rerelease of God of War. For a game that is what, like five years old now, it still holds up nicely. I played through it again and I really enjoy the varying camera angles. This is what I longed for in a Castlevania game. The mechanic is very similar to Castlevania, but the scope is just so much more majestic feeling.

I had been stuck on the second to final fight for so long I finally gave up and sold the PS2 version of this beauty. I was so happy when they rereleased it and even more elated by the fact I finally completed the Spartan difficulty setting. Someday I take on God setting.

Anyway, God of War still falls into the category of kicking all sorts of butt.

The ones on the Wii.

(I'm kidding. I really don't care. I just thought it would be a funny spoof of the way any online discussion about Wii anything always has an XBox or PS3 afficianado step in for no reason except to say the Wii sucks, which shows nothing except a surplus of time on one's hands.

Carry on.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I've been reading a lot about Red Dead Redemption and it's the first game that's seriously got me considering buying a PS3 or an X-Box 360.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    The ones on the Wii.

(I'm kidding. I really don't care. I just thought it would be a funny spoof of the way any online discussion about Wii anything always has an XBox or PS3 afficianado step in for no reason except to say the Wii sucks, which shows nothing except a surplus of time on one's hands.

Carry on.)
    The Wii sucks.

I know I've mentioned Oblivion before, but I just need to restate how awesome this game is. I finally completed the Fighter guild assignments and lets just say the reward is damn awesome.

The main adventure is cool, but its the side quests that add tons of replay value. Choices that you make can have repercussions. Its like Fable on steroids. Since I've established myself as the Fighter guild master, I really can't partake in the thieve's guild quests, or the assassins guild quests, or else I risk being banned. And I have a feeling that my extremely pathetic mana pool is going to limit my ability to do anything in the mage guild. So I can see I'll have to revisit this title later in the future to experience those quests.

I am getting tired of closing Oblivion gates. I know how Frodo and Samwise must have felt climbing mount doom.

About the time I finish the other quests Elder Scrolls V will probably be close to release! LOL