Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Comic Con 2010 4-Day Passes w. Sneak Preview Night Sold Out?

According to SideShow Collectibles' newsletter, Comic Con 2010 w. Sneak Preview Night is already sold-out!

Really?

I guess I won't get in there the first night. Don't know.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

They jacked up the prices and still sold out earlier than ever? I'm actually considering passing this year. Maybe I'll go to a convention that remembers the root word is "comic," as I'm getting tired of fighting crowds of pre-teen girls clamoring to see Rihanna promote her new single. And even more tired of people asking, "Oh, can you see if you can get Sigourney Weaver's autograph?"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I can't believe I missed the tickets. I guess I'll be passing this year.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

I am on an email list of a noted comics dealer, and he's been lamenting the steady demise of the "comic" aspect of Comic-Con in favor of the films, toys, and other genres over the last few years. I last went in '05, I think, and it was the crowds and lines that [may have?] finally got me to stop going. Sad. If I'm gonna shell out that much moola, I want to enjoy myself, and that hadn't been the case the last times I went. But I did meet Tycho there at a SW novels panel once!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

This new little scam of CCI's is pretty interesting, it turns out they created a new pass, 4-day-without-preview-night, and the classic 4-day-WITH-preview-night has been limited differently. In some ways, it makes sense to limit preview night, it has gotten entirely out of control, but it seems kinda messed up to have these passes sell out only 2 months after the previous show, long before anybody is thinking about their badges for 2010.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I was pretty surprised about this as I was trying to keep track of the selling of the passes. But I let it slip for like 2 weeks and I ended up on the wrong side of a big "fail" for it.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Yeah. I just bought the 4 day w.o. sneak preview night.

The next thing that will happen is they'll suddenly say - "Oh, we just decided to sell more," - after the fact that I've made my purchase.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Myself and another person tried to "reserve" 2 hotels when they became available yesterday at 12:00 EST. We finished at 12:06 (their server was really slow and their phone was busy). Their process is that you first pick 12 hotels and you may get 1 of them. I never received my confirmation and called them today. They said EVERYTHING was booked. WHAT?? Well, now I am on a "Wait List" and if I don't get a room, there will be no SDCC SSG coverage.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Ugh, that's terrible. This year seems to be disastrous for Comic-Con. Badges selling 9 months early, hotels disappearing instantly, this is not the sort of thing that instills confidence after San Diego claimed they were trying to do more to keep the convention.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I got lucky and have a room at the Town and Country. Both a friend and I logged on to try to reserve rooms just in case and both got through, with her getting the Old Town Best Western, but we only need one room so we're taking the T&C. If you need a room, you can take our extra at the Best Western.