Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Nice FX saber write-up. I'll probably end up getting one, as I don't have any previous versions. I like the idea of the belt clip, so it bridges the gap between the prop display versions and the other FX ones.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Thanks JT I really enjoyed the saber write up as well. I'm actually really excited about the Darth Maul ones since I never picked up the originals I'll probably end up buying two of the removable blade ones. You didn't mention it but I'm curious about the belt clip for that one... have they designed a belt clip solution for it and if so did you see how it works?
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That reminds me, Nickelodeon was giving out comic-con exclusive DVDs of the pilot PR episode, I grabbed one for you.
    I saw that. I told Steve to go pick me up one if he wasn't doing anything constructive and he replied that he already did. I'm guessing the one you picked up and the one he said he already had are in fact one in the same, so I greatly appreciate it JT.

Heard Power Rangers was actually out in full force this year at Comic-Con. Saban's paid suit actors at the Nickelodeon booth giving out those freebie DVDs, a Power Morphicon 2010 booth with former Ranger actors (like Walter Jones) signing autographs and such for that convention in late August. Even a few former Ranger actors going around cosplaying, like Adelaide Kane, who went around as Wonder Woman. I'm assuming she was doing that of her own free will and wasn't payed to do it like the Ranger suit actors. Can't imagine them paying her to suit act as Wonder Woman and then let her get away with taking photos of herself flipping off Wonder Woman's recent costume change. And of course Alex Borstein (of Family Guy) was also there. She had a stint on Power Rangers as a voice actor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelaide Kane as Wonder Woman.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	23409  
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

[FONT=Courier New]I enjoyed the write up on the FX sabers and look forward to getting the Obi Wan Kenobi version. I was going to pass on all of these, but since they're including the belt clip, I think I will at least get one.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]With the (re)release of the Mace Windu and Luke Skywalker standard sabers, is Hasbro "caught up" to the point where they will talk about any new sabers that they might be making, specifically Ahsoka? My wife REALLY wants an Ahsoka saber. Especially since she's bought me 5 of my own already.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Some collectors might balk at the $40 because they already have a lot of the contents. As much as I'd like the other Trooper, the radar cannon, and the turret, that's kinda pricey for just those three items.
    That's the initial reaction I suspect a lot of collectors will have, but I think it's as much product as the AT-ST set, so it shouldn't seem like "less", especially with an all-new, larger-to-scale radar cannon that comes with its power energizer cell like the one here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Atgarptower.jpg
    I guess this is the catch-22, we ask for playsets and then when we get stuff like this: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/exc...05-hasbro.html
    we balk that it's too pricey and not as much a draw as a vehicle.

BTW, was it actually Hasbro who designed those sweet dioramas, or did they bring in someone? Those topped all the previous dioramas they've brought in.
    Hasbro hired the guy they had build the last few for this show's (it'll be at C5 as well) and they supplied him with some of the newest toys like the turrets and AT-ATs. In '08, he was the guy in their booth dressed like Indiana Jones standing with the IJ display.

Demolition Man was just a great little satire. You can't think too much about the logic of it.
    But... but it's carne de rata! They farm rats in the sewers now, enough to make sizable burgers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Nice FX saber write-up. I'll probably end up getting one, as I don't have any previous versions. I like the idea of the belt clip, so it bridges the gap between the prop display versions and the other FX ones.
    Cool, that's what I like about these as well, they are nice props as well as super fun which is why I'm considering the Anakin one that I normally would't.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    Thanks JT I really enjoyed the saber write up as well. I'm actually really excited about the Darth Maul ones since I never picked up the originals I'll probably end up buying two of the removable blade ones. You didn't mention it but I'm curious about the belt clip for that one... have they designed a belt clip solution for it and if so did you see how it works?
    Sure thing, glad you liked it.

Maul's saber used the same Covertec-brand PDA clip system that the other prequel saber props used. In the movie Maul's doublesaber hilt had 1 clip towards the end, on the Force FX it has 2 since they're identical halves screwed together. So for Maul's, it should work the same as Ep 3 Anakin and Obi-Wan's belt clip system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I saw that. I told Steve to go pick me up one if he wasn't doing anything constructive and he replied that he already did. I'm guessing the one you picked up and the one he said he already had are in fact one in the same, so I greatly appreciate it JT.
    We discussed it during lunch on Friday so it's not shenanigans.

Heard Power Rangers was actually out in full force this year at Comic-Con. Saban's paid suit actors at the Nickelodeon booth giving out those freebie DVDs, a Power Morphicon 2010 booth with former Ranger actors (like Walter Jones) signing autographs and such for that convention in late August. Even a few former Ranger actors going around cosplaying, like Adelaide Kane, who went around as Wonder Woman. I'm assuming she was doing that of her own free will and wasn't payed to do it like the Ranger suit actors. Can't imagine them paying her to suit act as Wonder Woman and then let her get away with taking photos of herself flipping off Wonder Woman's recent costume change. And of course Alex Borstein (of Family Guy) was also there. She had a stint on Power Rangers as a voice actor.
    They had several folks handing them out, I don't think mine was from a costumed one though but from a Nick booth person instead. I didn't know Alex Borstein did a voice for PR.

There were a TON of gals dressed as Wonder Woman this year, from classic to TV show to the more recent look, zero dressed in the new "costume" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]I enjoyed the write up on the FX sabers and look forward to getting the Obi Wan Kenobi version. I was going to pass on all of these, but since they're including the belt clip, I think I will at least get one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]With the (re)release of the Mace Windu and Luke Skywalker standard sabers, is Hasbro "caught up" to the point where they will talk about any new sabers that they might be making, specifically Ahsoka? My wife REALLY wants an Ahsoka saber. Especially since she's bought me 5 of my own already.[/FONT]
    They'll talk about the line's future (we do briefly in the walkthrough I'm working on right now) but they brought 2 future sabers to the con, so I don't think they're willing to talk about anything further off than that just yet. As for doing an Ahsoka one, they didn't mention at the show, the last answer they gave was "no immediate plans" back in November, but I suppose we could ask again in Q&A to see what the waters MIGHT look like, so go ahead and add that question to the thread, I'll get around to it next week or so. Remind me to try it as a hypothetical and to mention how well Ahoska is selling to girls.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

These are collector-friendlier sets I think, and splitting the packs makes it easier to build whatever armies folks want. I suspect some collectors will balk at $40 for each of these though, just because they're not used to this format and it's closed-box presentation, but I hope folks see the bigger picture of these before they make up their minds.
    [FONT=Courier New]I am looking forward to these sets because I passed on the Hoth rebel trooper AND the WM exclusive SA AT-ST, so these will be easy to say yes to when I see them in the stores.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I didn't know Alex Borstein did a voice for PR.
    She did several voices for the show actually. Her most prominent role was voicing the main villain character Queen Machina during the Power Rangers Zeo season. In addition to that she also voiced an unseen announcer (over an intercom) for a karate tournament in one episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first season as well as several of the random "monsters of the day" from Mighty Morphin's first and second seasons. I'm not certain if I know all of them that she voiced, but I do know of at least three. Madame Woe (from season 1), Lypsyncher (from season 2), and the Bloom of doom (also from season 2).

Few people know that Bryan Cranston (of "Malcom in the Middle" and "Breaking Bad" fame) did similar voice work for the Power Rangers show. He voiced the Snizard (from season 1) and Twin Man (also season 1). He is also the reason why Billy (the Mighty Morphin Blue Ranger) has the last name Cranston.

You know, if you wanted to you could probably see one of the Alex Borstein episodes of Power Rangers here in a few weeks. The updated reversion for "Peace, Love and Woe" (the Madame Woe episode) should be on ABC (ABC Kids) on August 14 as the second (12:30 PM) time slot. Of course whether or not you can see it (and at what time) will depend entirely on whoever your ABC affiliate is. Disney lets affiliates do almost whatever they want with shows that aren't E/I. Some time shift to earlier times or different days, others choose not to show it at all. I'm assuming you are probably KABC (Los Angeles). If so, that is being loosely tracked here, or you can look at your local ABC channel's news website (all of the ones I've visited usually keep a schedule grid).
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 07-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

There were a TON of gals dressed as Wonder Woman this year, from classic to TV show to the more recent look, zero dressed in the new "costume" though.
    I'd say lack of lead time between the debut of the costume and the con, but that never stopped anyone before, and the new costume is really simplistic. Must just be a lack of interest.

I wasn't complaining about the amount of product in the set. But I wonder how smart it is to have a few new or rare things and an equal amount of things every collector would have already for such a relatively high price.

BTW, I doubt you asked, since I didn't even think about it until just now when the variant Rebel Hoth Trooper reminded me, but you didn't happen to find out anything from Darryl or anyone else at the 'Bro what the deal was with that lone Utris M'toc at Target a few months back, did ya?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm taking a quick break. It's pretty detailed, in the 10 minutes of audio I've transcribed so far, we've talked about probably 25 different things. I was trying to think up questions as we moved through the booth and Derryl as ever wants to give rounded, complete answers to make sure every angle is covered for our benefit. He and I communicate pretty fast so I have to slow down the audio to half speed in order for me to have a chance at transcribing it. This is WAAAAAAY easier than it was at Celebration IV in '07 though before we had the voice recorder that could dock to the computer. It's just that I absolutely cannot stand listening to my own voice, especially as I try to think up questions on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    She did several voices for the show actually. Her most prominent role was voicing the main villain character Queen Machina during the Power Rangers Zeo season. In addition to that she also voiced an unseen announcer (over an intercom) for a karate tournament in one episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first season as well as several of the random "monsters of the day" from Mighty Morphin's first and second seasons. I'm not certain if I know all of them that she voiced, but I do know of at least three. Madame Woe (from season 1), Lypsyncher (from season 2), and the Bloom of doom (also from season 2).

Few people know that Bryan Cranston (of "Malcom in the Middle" and "Breaking Bad" fame) did similar voice work for the Power Rangers show. He voiced the Snizard (from season 1) and Twin Man (also season 1). He is also the reason why Billy (the Mighty Morphin Blue Ranger) has the last name Cranston.

You know, if you wanted to you could probably see one of the Alex Borstein episodes of Power Rangers here in a few weeks. The updated reversion for "Peace, Love and Woe" (the Madame Woe episode) should be on ABC (ABC Kids) on August 14 as the second (12:30 PM) time slot. Of course whether or not you can see it (and at what time) will depend entirely on whoever your ABC affiliate is. Disney lets affiliates do almost whatever they want with shows that aren't E/I. Some time shift to earlier times or different days, others choose not to show it at all. I'm assuming you are probably KABC (Los Angeles). If so, that is being loosely tracked here, or you can look at your local ABC channel's news website (all of the ones I've visited usually keep a schedule grid).
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. Yes, I'm KABC.

I'd say lack of lead time between the debut of the costume and the con, but that never stopped anyone before, and the new costume is really simplistic. Must just be a lack of interest.
    I think that the new costume is what's such a let-down.

I wasn't complaining about the amount of product in the set. But I wonder how smart it is to have a few new or rare things and an equal amount of things every collector would have already for such a relatively high price.
    Oh. Well, since it's army-building, I think it's kind of a gimmie. I believe K-3PO is on a new body too, so there's actually not all that much straight reuse.

BTW, I doubt you asked, since I didn't even think about it until just now when the variant Rebel Hoth Trooper reminded me, but you didn't happen to find out anything from Darryl or anyone else at the 'Bro what the deal was with that lone Utris M'toc at Target a few months back, did ya?
    Sorry, totally slipped my mind.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ok, so I'm about halfway through the walkthrough with Derryl audio, and while I did take an additional 40 minute break to take care of other stuff, it's been a long climb. There just aren't transcription programs out there, audio transcription via PC is still relegated to trained voice command software like Dragon Naturally Speaking which cannot handle this. To give you some idea how much is going on in this interview, I'm 20 minutes into the audio and 3,500+ words, 93 paragraph breaks. I will try to get the rest of the audio transcribed tonight, but it may be tomorrow. If I were to send it to a transcription service instead, I could be looking at around $150 to $300. I found someone with an idea of how to do it for around $60 using Amazon Mechanical Turk crowdsourcing, but I'm not quite ready to drop that much coin - although I may go for it by tomorrow as it's taking upwards of 8 times as long to transcribe as it did to record.