Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Ok, so I'm about halfway through the walkthrough with Derryl audio, and while I did take an additional 40 minute break to take care of other stuff, it's been a long climb. There just aren't transcription programs out there, audio transcription via PC is still relegated to trained voice command software like Dragon Naturally Speaking which cannot handle this. To give you some idea how much is going on in this interview, I'm 20 minutes into the audio and 3,500+ words, 93 paragraph breaks. I will try to get the rest of the audio transcribed tonight, but it may be tomorrow. If I were to send it to a transcription service instead, I could be looking at around $150 to $300. I found someone with an idea of how to do it for around $60 using Amazon Mechanical Turk crowdsourcing, but I'm not quite ready to drop that much coin - although I may go for it by tomorrow as it's taking upwards of 8 times as long to transcribe as it did to record.
    FYI I've had great success with Dragon Dictation on my iPod, it doesn't require any voice training and makes very few mistakes. Though, I'm not sure how precise it would be in a crowded space with lots of background conversations.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Damn, that sounds like a lot of work. Are you going to post it in parts, so that you can take some time off in-between postings? That might ease the pain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5
    FYI I've had great success with Dragon Dictation on my iPod, it doesn't require any voice training and makes very few mistakes. Though, I'm not sure how precise it would be in a crowded space with lots of background conversations.
    Also, that could get difficult with the names and proper nouns from SW, possibly confusing the program.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I decided to try a program I spotted while searching for auto-transcribing programs, it was merely an audio playback program so you could manually type out the transcription, but it had hotkeys for rewinding and it slowed below 50%. The audio isn't as good at slow speed as Windows Media Player, but at 40% of the speed we were talking I was able to get a speed that I could pretty much type out everything as it came in, and the rewind hotkey (F7) meant I could jump back without leaving the keyboard, so that sped it up to better than 3 times as slow which was manageable. Thus, I am done, minus a little spellchecking, and will post it in a few minutes before I hit the sheets.

I don't think I've ever told you guys this before, but it cracks me up to transcribe these this way because Derryl and I at 50% speed sound a little drunk as we're talking about Star Wars. If I didn't believe so strenuously in the written word (searchability and so forth), I'd have just posted these as podcasts with minimal editing and some background filtering. But that's bandwidth-intensive and it's not searchable, so I transcribe. For you. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    There's a lot of crowd noise and also a lot of Star Wars terms, so I chose to avoid it on my ipod touch. The mic I have for it is ok, but in the exhibit hall there's just too much ambient noise going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Damn, that sounds like a lot of work. Are you going to post it in parts, so that you can take some time off in-between postings? That might ease the pain a bit.
    I thought about doing that, but because it's a walkthrough on the booth and we started with the basic figures, I felt it'd come off front-loaded so it was better to get it done all at once.

Also, that could get difficult with the names and proper nouns from SW, possibly confusing the program.
    Yeah. I would hope it'd just spit out gibberish and I could fix it as I went through the final edit pass, but it just wasn't the time right now to play with a new piece of tech.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

7,770 words, 39,455 characters. AND THAT'S NOT EVEN THE MAJORITY OF THE INTERVIEW WITH DERRYL!!! I do it all for you guys.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index....articleid=2987

It's a bit of a giant mass. I may break it up into multiple pages, and it may need spacing changes as it's all line breaks, but at least I got it posted and for now that's good enough, give you guys something to chew on for a little while when I'm working on the main Q&A interview.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

[FONT=Courier New]JT, your hard work is much appreciated.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Amazing write-up of your walk through... what a treat. Lots of great tid-bits that we never would have known about without you. THANK YOU!!!

One thing I noticed in talking about the galactic heroes is that he mentioned a Darth Revan figure... I don't ever remember seeing a Darth Revan figure in my (son's) GH collecting... Is this something new that is coming out or did I miss it entirely???

Thanks for going through all the trouble of typing this out. I really enjoyed reading it.

Great write-up JT.

I have a curious question. How awkward is it when you bring up a negative comment about one of their figures? Does he look at you with daggers in his eyes or does he take it all in stride?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I was there when he said that, and JT cut out the part where Darryl kicked him in the junk, jumped on him, began beating him with a Masterpiece Grimlock, and bloodied him around the head and shoulders until he cried uncle and promised to buy an entire case of the General Grievous.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]JT, your hard work is much appreciated.[/FONT]
    Thank you very much, I am glad you guys are getting something special out of it, that's what keeps me going.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsokol View Post
    Amazing write-up of your walk through... what a treat. Lots of great tid-bits that we never would have known about without you. THANK YOU!!!

One thing I noticed in talking about the galactic heroes is that he mentioned a Darth Revan figure... I don't ever remember seeing a Darth Revan figure in my (son's) GH collecting... Is this something new that is coming out or did I miss it entirely???
    You are quite welcome.

I noticed that Revan statement about GH, but because I haven't been following GH the last couple of years that strongly, I figured either it was in there and I missed it, or we got confused about Revan being in Muggs. It's slightly possible that he's talking about one we don't have yet (as one of the other Hasbro guys put it in a conversation a few days earlier, these cons come months and even a year after they've moved on to the next thing, so they're not even sure if it's at retail sometimes), but I wouldn't bank on it just yet either, it's very easy to get mixed up with so many things in the booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Great write-up JT.

I have a curious question. How awkward is it when you bring up a negative comment about one of their figures? Does he look at you with daggers in his eyes or does he take it all in stride?
    Ah, I am glad you asked that. Initially, back when I first started doing cons in '07, I found it incredibly difficult to bring up any negativity with this team, it felt rude to call them out to their faces about the stuff they work hard on. But over the last 4 years, having read all the Q&As and talked to them face to face at these conventions, I've learned that this team is pretty open to criticism. When they feel it's unfair, they will defend their position, and when they feel it's fair they will treat it as a learning experience. Derryl never bats an eyelash at criticisms like those I threw at Grievous, or the fuzzy Ep 3 Sidious soft goods (which I may actually be wrong on, I since remembered there was an outfit in the movie that was velour, but since Parrish couldn't make it last minute, we'll have to wait until that "bonus question" in August's Q&A). The entire team is quite gracious with criticism from any fan, but the more you get to know each one at these cons, the more you feel out their limits in such things and the more they do the same with you. Someone they don't know might complain at them about something wildly and they'll just smile and listen, but when they've built a rapport with someone they will smile AND get into a real discussion about it. Heck, I'll be standing there talking to exclusives director Brian Merten for a while and he'll start pointing out the negative things on his stuff! That's what I find most amazing, sometimes I'll slow down and think about a negative comment trying to spin it into a question while it tumbles sloppily out of my voicebox while also swallowing that lump in my throat, and they'll be right on board admitting that they felt the same way.

That said, when I picked out a few questions from our Q&A voting thread to get answered (that will be coming up in the interview), I made sure to use a certain TYPE of question, so I took the "where are the missing Clone Wars figs" question over the "better TIE Interceptor please!" one. I could have stood there for 20 minutes just ripping into C-3PO, but it would have taken focus off the the good aspects of the line, it might have been a little awkward, and furthermore the figure designer wasn't there to defend it. So I make a conscious choice to pick my battles, sometimes I'm a little overly cautious - in looking over the Q&A voting thread, I can't imagine why I didn't ask Derryl about the exclusives distribution question, but I remember making the editorial choice at the time to not print it up (and I ate it so hard for doing so when we picked up the final part of the interview and I found I had asked 1 of the questions DURING the walkthrough, leaving us really short, and I had no internet access to look up more questions).

Bottom line, and this comes up in my interview later as well, but I really believe it, it's the fact that the team has so much passion for the Star Wars brand, that they really are fans and not just marketing people who jumped into the brand, that makes it moderately comfortable to say to their faces "this isn't good enough, this could do better". And I hope the team understands that when we do say that to them, it's because we do like what they're trying to do and just want it to be better, to be the best it can be.

(side note: I have a couple questions in the upcoming interview probably that long, and saying them to Derryl's face we were cracking up at how long it took to read them out loud because they do have interesting questions, but man are they long to say!)

BTW, the Wooof and Gamorrean Guard statements I made in the walkthrough about our readers, I believe both of those were specifically referring to bigbarada's posts. He's crazy for Wooof and I had read the night before he had faith that the Gamorrean would be wearing fuzzy pants by production time when others weren't seeing it with that figure. It's a nice figure in person, but it takes a second to really wrap your head around on first viewing.