Hybrid View

JT's Comic-Con thread (what to expect in coverage)

Hi guys, didja miss me for the last 5 days while I was at the Con?

Annnnnyway, I'll be playing catch-up all this week on the coverage I amassed at SDCC last week, but it will be in stops and starts as I have other stuff going on as well. I ended up write the live Hasbro SW panel thing we had in the news (it says SirSteve because Steve was planning to, but we switched it up at the last moment) so I'm not sure there's much more I need to add to that. Other than that, here's the very basic outline of SW stuff I want to get to:

• a little taste of the con in general, like what time the HasbroToyShop line capped on preview night, cool stuff from the SW pavilion, and more.
    • a hands-on write up with the new removable-blade Force FX lightsabers, and with the new Jabba set.
    • a write up on the GG/Sideshow/Kotobukiya/eFX Star Wars collectibles panel (GG and Sideshow suffered technical difficulties with their presentations so not everything got covered)
    • a couple corrections.
    • a detailed write-up of the walkthrough of Hasbro's SW booth with brand manager Derryl DePriest.
    • and the biggest thing IMO, I've got to transcribe a 2 hour Q&A/interview I had with Derryl that had to span 2 days.

That list isn't in order, as I have no idea when I'll get time to do which.

If you have any questions, want my impressions on anything, or just a suggestion, feel free to shoot it at this thread.

Also, I want to thank the Hasbro SW team for their incredible generosity with their time at this year's con, they were so helpful and full of info, there's tons of little tidbits I want to share with you guys (and a few I can't ). You'll be seeing that come up in my interviews a few times and I wanted you guys to know before reading it that it's absolutely genuine, the Hasbro SW team really outdid themselves for SSG's readers I think, and I hope you either feel the same once you read the coverage, or at least don't think I'm trying to BS those guys or you guys.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I missed you so much I had to track you down.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I got so mixed up with other stuff going on yesterday that I was on my way to my last panel of the show when I remembered I hadn't caught up with you! I had that blown panel in the morning, then an interview, lunch, shopping, ran into some friends unexpectedly, more shopping, had to meet up with Steve and Tycho, spend more money, and sing the first 2 lines of a Madonna song to get into the Adult Swim booth all before I realized I had totally spaced on you.

BTW, my Sideshow card was a crappy $20. The last 2 years or so, I've gotten worse and worse cards. This is the nicest quality card yet too.

And then after hanging with you, then doing my Starship Smackdown panel (I got in late, but saw enough to really enjoy none the less), I gassed up my car, and took a leisurely 3 hour drive in bumper to bumper track back to Hollywood (it was like a mobile traffic jam almost the whole way).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The coverage sounds awesome - thanks so much for getting it! Get to whatever you want first, but I'm most excited about the Derryl conversations . . . just so you know.

Yeah, the DePriest interview is what I'm most interested in. That and the walkthrough of the Star Wars booth. The whatever the corrections are....

Basically, start from the bottom of your list and work your way up.

[FONT=Courier New]Thanks for all the hard work. Can't wait to hear all that have to tell us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    ...I gassed up my car, and took a leisurely 3 hour drive in bumper to bumper track back to Hollywood (it was like a mobile traffic jam almost the whole way).
    So traffic was bad on the San Angeles freeways?

Thanks again to all the work you guys do to report back to those of us who can't be at these conventions.

I can't wait to read the interview.

As I look at the other sites, it really does seem to me like this site is actually more positive. That we make an effort to understand things that we don't like and to at least see why Hasbro makes certain decisions. And if we really hate something, we are usually pretty articulate about why. Hopefully Hasbro appreciates that.

Really if you look at some of the other sites I'm not sure why those folks are still in the hobby.