Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
    The anticipation builds...

If I remember correctly, the following SSG-ers are going:

Jedi Tricks
    Figrin Bran
    Dark Agent
    Biker Scout (maybe)
    Myself

Please let me know if my numbers are off, since I'm going to be stopping at the Carlsbad Danish Bakery on the way down on Wednesday and will pick us up some pastry to help the preview night line go by a bit more palatably.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    The anticipation builds...

If I remember correctly, the following SSG-ers are going:

Jedi Tricks
    Figrin Bran
    Dark Agent
    Biker Scout (maybe)
    Myself

Please let me know if my numbers are off, since I'm going to be stopping at the Carlsbad Danish Bakery on the way down on Wednesday and will pick us up some pastry to help the preview night line go by a bit more palatably.
    You forgot Steve and Tycho, and Chux is going to be in town. But otherwise, is that it? Man, I thought there'd be more, but after hearing how bad SDCC's registration was, I can't say I'm surprised.

Sounds like a good plan on those danish, if all my worldly possessions weren't in my car alone, I'd probably do the same, but I'm paranoid (someone steals my car and I'll only own 1 pair of pants. )

Don't forget, we're trying to figure out if there's any interest in an SSG meal during the show.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    You forgot Steve and Tycho, and Chux is going to be in town. But otherwise, is that it? Man, I thought there'd be more, but after hearing how bad SDCC's registration was, I can't say I'm surprised.

Sounds like a good plan on those danish, if all my worldly possessions weren't in my car alone, I'd probably do the same, but I'm paranoid (someone steals my car and I'll only own 1 pair of pants. )

Don't forget, we're trying to figure out if there's any interest in an SSG meal during the show.
    Duly noted and added. I'll pick up 10 total just in case. I wouldn't bank on them lasting beyond Wednesday, given the heat and the lack of any preservatives used by this bakery (thankfully all natural). Will everyone be there on Wednesday?

Right on! Chux can't make it, so we may have to do multiple meetups.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Pre registration for 2013 was this past Saturday and miracles of miracles, I'm guaranteed at least 3 days at the con next year deIn spite being #18,000 something in the online queue. In the event I'm not able to get anything from the general online sales, at least I'll be there for Thurs, Fri and Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Pre registration for 2013 was this past Saturday and miracles of miracles, I'm guaranteed at least 3 days at the con next year deIn spite being #18,000 something in the online queue. In the event I'm not able to get anything from the general online sales, at least I'll be there for Thurs, Fri and Sun.
    And thanks to Mr. Bran, I got a Thursday pass. I've thought long and hard about Comic Con this weekend and what it will be like not being there for the bulk of the show. Next year will be my 20th straight SDCC. It has traditionally been the highlight of my year, what I look forward to incessantly, what I remember most fondly. Yet after the last few years, that pristine image has substantially lost much of its luster. I wonder if not being able to secure a full pass for the first time might not be a blessing in disguise.

This year's experience was better for me than last year's. This was not because I was able to acquire all the figures I set out to (save for Scarah Screams) and not because I got into most of the panels I sought to, but because I was able to connect with so many of my online friends to whom I normally just exist as key strokes on a glowing background. This was the first year in four that I was not accompanied by my former lady friend. I don't regret going with her so many times, but I realized how much of what I missed was because I was being accommodating to her: slow mornings, hunger attacks, anxiety with being in the same place attacks, allergy attacks, why-we-keep-staring-at-toys attacks. She wasn't a nagger or uncomfortable to be around in large part, I think, because she didn't have to be. I would quickly sense when she was starting to tense up a bit and drop much of what I was doing to alleviate it. I've no animosity towards her and I valued her company and patience, but I think a large part of what made this year more manageable was that I didn't have to consult her or account for her. As such, on Thursday morning, I was able to make a mad dash for the HTS line and FB and I were in and out of the line before 10AM, if memory serves. As such, I was able to meet up with several SSG-ers (JT, FB, Darkagent, Commtech, Bikerscout, Chux, and I finally got to see who Sir Steve was). As such, I floated around the show or went out to the Gaslamp District whenever I wanted. As such, awesome danish was enjoyed by everyone who wanted one.

Ultimately, if I only go for one day next year or if I can miraculously get a full pass when the non-attendee sales eventually happen or if somehow being a teacher who promotes comics and action figures in his classroom suddenly qualifies for professional status or if I end up not going at all, SDCC is no longer the string that ties my identity together. For years, SDCC was the "coolest" thing I did (whether I consciously acknowledged it as such or not), it was my geek credential, my championship game. But for the past several years, the most fun I have all year, the "coolest" thing I do, is going to work each day and just being a teacher.

Now if only Hasbro would make exclusives for that...

I live in San Diego and may not be able to go at all next year.

I will see how I do when the 2012 non-attendee registration opens up (in January, I hear, but I'll watch the 2013 SDCC news).

I'm at the point where my interest is waning actually, and I have a lot of other things I want to do with my time.

Going for at least 1 day would definitely be enjoyable, however. I too like to visit with some people I regularly see there and enjoy some panels.

I don't stay in line to buy exclusives or hunt things down in the dealer room however.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Glad to hear you got something, that's almost shocking considering how things have been lately. I had no idea that they were doing an 11 month in advance pre-reg but NOT doing it at the show, that makes no sense.

Ugh, sorry to hear you don't have a Saturday badge yet, but you're on your way to going the whole show, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    And thanks to Mr. Bran, I got a Thursday pass. I've thought long and hard about Comic Con this weekend and what it will be like not being there for the bulk of the show. Next year will be my 20th straight SDCC. It has traditionally been the highlight of my year, what I look forward to incessantly, what I remember most fondly. Yet after the last few years, that pristine image has substantially lost much of its luster. I wonder if not being able to secure a full pass for the first time might not be a blessing in disguise.

This year's experience was better for me than last year's. This was not because I was able to acquire all the figures I set out to (save for Scarah Screams) and not because I got into most of the panels I sought to, but because I was able to connect with so many of my online friends to whom I normally just exist as key strokes on a glowing background. This was the first year in four that I was not accompanied by my former lady friend. I don't regret going with her so many times, but I realized how much of what I missed was because I was being accommodating to her: slow mornings, hunger attacks, anxiety with being in the same place attacks, allergy attacks, why-we-keep-staring-at-toys attacks. She wasn't a nagger or uncomfortable to be around in large part, I think, because she didn't have to be. I would quickly sense when she was starting to tense up a bit and drop much of what I was doing to alleviate it. I've no animosity towards her and I valued her company and patience, but I think a large part of what made this year more manageable was that I didn't have to consult her or account for her. As such, on Thursday morning, I was able to make a mad dash for the HTS line and FB and I were in and out of the line before 10AM, if memory serves. As such, I was able to meet up with several SSG-ers (JT, FB, Darkagent, Commtech, Bikerscout, Chux, and I finally got to see who Sir Steve was). As such, I floated around the show or went out to the Gaslamp District whenever I wanted. As such, awesome danish was enjoyed by everyone who wanted one.

Ultimately, if I only go for one day next year or if I can miraculously get a full pass when the non-attendee sales eventually happen or if somehow being a teacher who promotes comics and action figures in his classroom suddenly qualifies for professional status or if I end up not going at all, SDCC is no longer the string that ties my identity together. For years, SDCC was the "coolest" thing I did (whether I consciously acknowledged it as such or not), it was my geek credential, my championship game. But for the past several years, the most fun I have all year, the "coolest" thing I do, is going to work each day and just being a teacher.

Now if only Hasbro would make exclusives for that...
    Glad to hear you got at least 1 pass. It was good meeting up with you and Darkagent, even if your food was undercooked and that woman was whining about not being fed. Danish was awesome awesome yo!

I hear ya about not having to drag someone along, I've seen a LOT of that, friends and girlfriends alike, who think they can handle the utter geek-outness required for YOUR interests but aren't capable of being patient with so much going on. It's good to have the option to share with a friend, but it's just as good (if not moreso) to be able to do your con stuff unencumbered when you want to. I still can't believe you beat me into that line tho. :rage:

Hasbro does make exclusives for doing your everyday thing, it's called the mainline, and just like the rest of the exclusives out there they're increasingly overpriced and impossible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I live in San Diego and may not be able to go at all next year.

I will see how I do when the 2012 non-attendee registration opens up (in January, I hear, but I'll watch the 2013 SDCC news).
    The site's news is worthless now, they are never timely there, watch their Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates, set up live alerts for news on those sources on your cellphone (look it up), it's annoying and frustrating but it's the only way to get vital time-sensitive SDCC news without missing out.

I just re-read several of the posts on this thread to alleviate the fact that I did not purchase a room for SDCC today, the first day that the hotels went on sale. It feels alien not to have done so.

Those early bird hotels are all in Mission Valley, they're not doing any Downtown or Gaslamp hotels early for some reason, which means boarding the very crowded shuttle bus to get back and they're somewhat expensive for what they are, so I passed. I found a cheaply-priced hotel in La Mesa I can afford (under half of what those early bird rooms that went up yesterday were going for) that's part of a large chain, hopefully that means they won't screw me over with my reservation unlike the small-fry that got me last year - I'll be calling to confirm my reservation - but I'm also looking into splitting a vacation rental property instead, the prices are too high alone, but split with a couple folks it might work out and it's more secure that way.