Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

San Diego Comic Con Already Sold Out?

There are stories going around that 4 Day Passes with Sneak Preview Night for Comic Con 2011 are already sold out.

This is getting ridiculous!

I've tried to go online to buy my tickets for next year's Comic Con but could not purchase them yet.

Perhaps they will be opening the sales up again soon?

I should have bought my tickets for next year at the show last week. Who'd have thought?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

They need to split the toys/comics and movie stuff, maybe with a little overlap. I've said before it's losing the "Comic" and emphasizing the "Con," but this is ridiculous. This year, I only found three booths selling new comics. I was looking for a specific, fairly anticipated comic book (GIJoe #156, the continuation of the old Marvel series). It came out last Wednesday. Every one of the three booths told me they "didn't bring them."

Let the movie part of it go to Anaheim so I don't have to mess with it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I don't know, Chux. The DC and Marvel booths were going pretty crazy the entire show, IDW was happening as well, and even smaller comic publishers like Fantagraphics had some action. But there's no market in a regular retailer bringing new comics to the show anymore, nobody is looking to spend cover price at Comic-Con thanks to direct sales. I also noticed the Warner, Fox, and other studio booths were scaled back a bit this year, and still busy but not as insane as the last few years. It's the panels where I think the studios have really overtaken Comic-Con, Hall H has become a joke. Also, let's be realistic, the comic market is pretty soft, the majority of comic dealers this year are in golden and silver age titles, and there is a rift between big and little at SDCC in terms of Comic-Con. Without the big stuff, studio and the big comic publishers, I don't think Comic-Con could support itself anywhere anymore, SD or Anaheim.

As for the preview night passes, the website says "sold out" but they're talking about this year's, they haven't updated the site yet from the 2010 badge info. That said, I saw a ton of people just re-upping right at the show, you get "this year's" price and are much more likely to get Preview Night that way, so yeah, I think it's not surprising that the PN badges are going to be tougher to get from here on out. The moment those new badges go on sale, I suggest you grab yours.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I still haven't been able to buy my Comic Con tickets for next year.

Has anyone else got theirs?

When will they go on sale?

I want the 4-day and will make sure I get it early to get the Sneak Preview Pass.

I'm going to go all 4 days again, most likely.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Still says "soon". This is ridiculous.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

At the behest of my lady friend, we stood in line on the Sunday of SDCC to get next year's passes. And thank the Maker, I listened to her. A little over an hour later, all the 4 day passes w/preview night were sold out. From now on, while I wait in the increasingly gargantuan preview night line (we were about 40th in line this year), I'm immediately purchasing the next year's passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I still haven't been able to buy my Comic Con tickets for next year.

Has anyone else got theirs?

When will they go on sale?

I want the 4-day and will make sure I get it early to get the Sneak Preview Pass.

I'm going to go all 4 days again, most likely.
    I thought they would be on sale November 1?

Comic-Con management (or their Facebook-posting intern) responded to someone posting the article figgy referred to earlier, and didn't dispute it.

Well, folks, if there's only a 3-hour window for getting the tickets, during the Con, of course, and a 67% increase in the prices, I'll be bowing out. It's not that I can't afford it, I just choose to not afford it. The value of Comic-Con is not $175 per person. Period. It's cheaper to pay the markup on any exclusives I want if none of my friends can snag them for me. As for the half-price graphic novels, well, I can get them for 30% off at Amazon or Borders, and that 20% extra over the whole year doesn't make up for the difference, either.

Making the 4-day passes cost more than the individual days is the most boneheaded, illogical business move I've ever heard of. That'd be like Disneyland charging $50 per day and $19,000 for an annual pass.

Does anyone know if at the con we will be able to buy individual days for next year? Because for the past 7 years I have only been able to buy the whole week pass at the con. I only go Friday through Sunday so I would like to save a few bucks and not buy the whole pass.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Check this out. It all seeams like bad news to me.

COMIC-CON 2012 PRICES
    BADGE TYPE Adult Junior* Military /
    Senior**
    4-DAY WITH Preview Night $175* $87* $87*
    4-DAY WITHOUT Preview Night $150* $75* $75*
    SINGLE DAY Thurs - Sat $40 $20 $20
    SINGLE DAY Sunday $23 $11 $11
    * Comic-Con will no longer be offering a discount for 4-day badge purchases. We hope that this change will encourage people to purchase only the days they will actually be attending, leaving additional badges for others who want to attend Comic-Con.
    2012 Pre-Registration FAQ

Where can I pre-register for 2012?

Badges will be sold in the Douglas Pavilion at the Manchester Grand Hyatt located at 1 Market Place. It is just a short walk from the Convention Center and next to the Marriott Marquis & Marina. You may also take the free Comic-Con shuttle to the Hyatt. Pre-registration will be open Thursday - Sunday from 8:00 am to 11:00 am.

Can I register my friend, child, or spouse without them being there?

You may register yourself and one other person only. Children 11 and under are free, one child per paid adult badge.

I didn't get a 2011 badge, can I still pre-register for 2012?

You must have a 2011 badge to participate in pre-registration. Online registration for the public will open in the fall.

Who can purchase a badge?

All Comic-Con attendees with a valid 2011 badge may pre-register for 2012. However, 2011 Comic-Con attendees with an Exhibitor badge will not be allowed to purchase a badge during this special pre-registration sale.

How many badges can I buy?

You may request up to TWO pre-registration sessions per person. During each pre-registration session, you may purchase a 4-day badge with Preview Night, or a 4-day badge without Preview Night, or up to 4 single day badges without duplicated days if they are available when you get to the self-registration computer. You may not purchase two of any single day badge, i.e. you may not purchase two Saturday badges. In total, you may purchase a maximum of two 4-days or 8 single day badges.

How many times can I go through the pre-registration line?

An individual may participate in pre-registration only one time. You may not attempt to register multiple times or on multiple days. Your badge will be scanned during the registration process. If your individual badge is scanned for more than two purchases, all additional purchases beyond the first two will be cancelled and you may not receive a refund.

Will all the 4-day badges with Preview Night sell-out again this year?

2012 badge inventory will be divided between pre-registration and our open online registration in the fall. All badge categories will be available at a later date.

How do I pay for my badge?

2012 badges may be purchased by cash or credit card only.

Will all of the 2012 badges sell out on Thursday?

No. To ensure that everyone can participate in 2012 pre-registration, we will be selling an equal number of badges each day of the convention, Thursday through Sunday. However, your desired badge category may be sold out by the time you reach the front of the pre-registration line.

I only have a 2011 Friday badge. Can I come on Thursday and buy my 2012 badge?

No. You may only purchase a 2012 badge if you have a valid 2011 Comic-Con badge for the day you attend pre-registration.

After I buy my badge at the Hyatt, am I confirmed for 2012?

You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your pre-registration purchase at a later date. Your 2012 badge registration is NOT complete until you follow the instructions on this confirmation e-mail. You will be required to sign-up for a Comic-Con Member ID after the convention to complete your badge registration. Only by completing the additional instructions in the e-mail will your registration be complete. Click here for details about the new Comic-Con Member ID requirement
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)