Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Oh, the grandeur of Line Con never ceases to amaze. It would be nice if they told us how many tickets were on sale per day. I'm going to get there as early as I can on Thursday morning to get in line to buy tickets for next year.

I had to reach out to a loved friend for help here. I have always bought full week passes with preview just in case in the future I could go the whole time. This time I'm just getting Fri-Sunday. What a mess. I can't believe you have to plan everything as small as where you have to park. Right now I have no idea were to park my truck. I have a hotel right next store, but it's not in my name and I'm pretty sure the hotel parking will be full. The other issues are getting in line early enough to get the 2011 badge so I don't have to wait 2 hours to get in and finding a way to get the Hasbro death star set. All the other exclusive have been take care of buy either per-order or just not wanting them.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars View Post
    I had to reach out to a loved friend for help here. I have always bought full week passes with preview just in case in the future I could go the whole time. This time I'm just getting Fri-Sunday. What a mess. I can't believe you have to plan everything as small as where you have to park. Right now I have no idea were to park my truck. I have a hotel right next store, but it's not in my name and I'm pretty sure the hotel parking will be full. The other issues are getting in line early enough to get the 2011 badge so I don't have to wait 2 hours to get in and finding a way to get the Hasbro death star set. All the other exclusive have been take care of buy either per-order or just not wanting them.
    Sounds like a mess, sorry to hear it. You are so right, the amount of pre-planning required is hampering the fun of Comic-Con more and more every year.

Most of the SDCC hotels charge their guests extra for parking, which I find repulsive. I had an awful time parking in '09, was thrilled to get parking passes in advance for last year, this year things haven't been as smooth.

Hopefully the high pricetag and high number of re-released figures in the Death Star set will make it easier to get. I'm not even buying one at all, not totally sure I'm going to get in the HTS line - last year I barely made it before they capped.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've found parking at the mall and taking the Comic-Con shuttle that leaves from the grocery store across the street to be pretty effective. It's not free, but most people don't want to be that far away from the convention center, even with the free shuttle service.

I read somewhere that the reasoning behind selling the 4-day passes for more than the cost of four day passes was to encourage folks who weren't coming for the entire time to buy only the days they'd be attending, so that people didn't buy passes for more days than they needed and leave the other days available for other people. Well, DUH. They created that mess by not making single days available so far in advance, and by making the "far in advance" 4-day passes only negligibly more than single day passes bought closer to the Con.

As for the whole "all additional purchases beyond the first two will be cancelled [sic] and you may not receive a refund," is that legal? If they're scanning badges, shouldn't they be able to preemptively prevent people from buying more than two? Selling them, then canceling then and potentially not issuing a refund seems unethical, at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I've found parking at the mall and taking the Comic-Con shuttle that leaves from the grocery store across the street to be pretty effective. It's not free, but most people don't want to be that far away from the convention center, even with the free shuttle service.
    Be VERY careful about parking at the mall. In '07, we met up with some of Tycho and Steve's friends on preview night, they had parked at the mall without reading the pricing, and it was somewhere around $50!

I read somewhere that the reasoning behind selling the 4-day passes for more than the cost of four day passes was to encourage folks who weren't coming for the entire time to buy only the days they'd be attending, so that people didn't buy passes for more days than they needed and leave the other days available for other people. Well, DUH. They created that mess by not making single days available so far in advance, and by making the "far in advance" 4-day passes only negligibly more than single day passes bought closer to the Con.
    Yes, that reasoning is even restated in the FAQ that Turbo quoted. For 2012, single days are going to be made available the same time as the 4-day, so at least they have done SOMETHING right.

As for the whole "all additional purchases beyond the first two will be cancelled [sic] and you may not receive a refund," is that legal? If they're scanning badges, shouldn't they be able to preemptively prevent people from buying more than two? Selling them, then canceling then and potentially not issuing a refund seems unethical, at the very least.
    I don't see how not giving out a refund can be legal, but since it's automated, there's probably going to be a mountain of fine print that you have to put your thumb next to which gives them permission to do anything they like.

If I weren't media, I don't think I'd go anymore. Management is making it hard to see the love.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Maybe I wasn't actually "at" the mall. It was in that area, though. Not cheap, but definitely not $50, either.

If you're paying anything over $20, you may as well park at Petco, at least there's a LOT of parking and it's not that far a walk, especially with the new foot bridge to the Hilton finally complete - sucks to be pedicab guys (not just because of the new bridge ).

Here's something else to add to the convention center's missteps. Wi-fi is only available if you're with AT&T.

The newspaper (and online, of course) comic Luann has had a SDCC theme this week. But I've noticed some errors: the outdoor panel of the Convention Center has some cement sidewalk visible instead of crowds of people lined up on it, plus the characters can walk around inside without others elbowing them or fighting to get into lines.
    "That's what Sheev said."

This year seems even more a fustercluck than previous years.

I'll share about my experience with completely clueless twits at the HTS ticket line later. But for now, I'm heading back in.